Author Topic: Loring Records  (Read 5594 times)

Offline Stan Back

Loring Records
« on: March 29, 2011, 12:48:08 PM »
". . . races from other venues as they vainly try to justify why people run faster on our 1 1/2 miles than their 5-6-7 miles."

Wow!

Just looked at your car records.  Didn't compare them all one to one.  Saw one car had 4 different records in the same class from the same meet.  Maybe what you call records was a run log.

Most that I knew offhand were 20-30 MPH short of Bonneville records.  But I don't know any venue that runs a 7-mile course.  Maybe you'd like to amend your statement.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Re: Loring Records
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 09:12:36 AM »
Stan, 

You know I like you !!  But !!   dont stir up sarcasim on Loring's forum unless you plan to come race there.

Now  the reason you see one car with four records in the same class is simply this.
The first run was a Record, then each subsequent run upped the previous record.  The final and fastest run is Now the CURRENT record,,, but each run when ran was "at that time" a Record,,,

I know you know that,,,,so CHILL on the sarcasim... the West has had Land Speed Racing for what 60 plus years... Loring is only 2 years old,, and doing a GREAT JOB,,,

and Yes,,,, I will stand up for them ,, here on this forum or anywhere ...

Love Ya... mean it,,,

See you on the Salt...

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 11:56:35 AM »
Let's try this again.  They stated that . . .

"Unfortunately they also receive a considerable amount of, for lack of a better word, guff about the rules themselves based on the opinions of races from other venues as they vainly try to justify why people run faster on our 1 1/2 miles than their 5-6-7 miles.  Sorry if that stings, but we are the "Future of Land Speed" for a reason, mainly grip."

So maybe people are maybe running faster on a 1-1/2-mile track than a 1-mile track.  Duh!

But they're not (all) running faster than the records on a 5-mile track.  The one car I looked at that ran 4 or 5 times still ran 15 MPH under the Bonneville record and under what he had run at SpeedWeek.  Do you get 4 or 5 record certificates to wallpaper with?  If that's a record list, why not just list the current record so you don't have to search the whole list? 

I don't think I'm being sarcastic, I'm just being factual.  I think it would be a blast to run there.  But I think it's wrong for them to imply that cars run faster there than on 5-6-7 mile track, wherever that is.  They need to get a grip.

Stan Back

As to seeing you on the salt -- haven't yet.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline tedgram

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 03:03:09 PM »
  Hopefully, the record runs from last year will be compiled in the rule book so there will be only the highest record listed for each class. Give the guy a break  :-P.

Offline marksoto

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 10:04:14 PM »
I've been reading these threads comparing the SCTA's venue with the LTA's, honestly it's pointless.  A car can go faster on a 6 mile track verses a 1 1/2 mile track....seriously...you don't have to be a rocket scientist to do the math.  If you want to have a pissing contest compare the 1 1/2 mile on each surface....but again it's pointless. ...as far as the records are concerned... that's why we have our own records book...it's not the SCTA-LTA records book, but we are flattered by the comparison.   With that being said, we should be promoting and supporting the sport thru it's many venues ...regardless of it's surface.   More important ...have a safe year both on the road and the track!!!
Thanks
Mark Sotomayor

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 10:47:19 PM »
Like I said in junior high, "I didn't start this!"

Offline dw230

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 12:13:50 AM »
"but again it's pointless. ...as far as the records are concerned... that's why we have our own records book..."

I have to disagree here Mark. I have a 2010 Loring Rule and Record book. The course is stated to be 1 mile, the contact info is ECTA and the records listed are Maxton records as are the 2009 points winners.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 08:14:56 AM »
"but again it's pointless. ...as far as the records are concerned... that's why we have our own records book..."

I have to disagree here Mark. I have a 2010 Loring Rule and Record book. The course is stated to be 1 mile, the contact info is ECTA and the records listed are Maxton records as are the 2009 points winners.

DW

The reason the 2010 Rulebook is ECTA marked is that Joe and Keith were gracious enough to do a copy of there book with our cover and records on the jacket.  I am certain that you SCTA guys know how massive an undertaking compiling a rulebook is, so it was the only way that the LTA records were going to be published to give our racers that held them.  We  have now compiled our own rulebook for 2011.  So, I would invite all of you please send a check to the address below, or come to registration at the event, to receive the new version that no longer states that the track is a mile long.  (On that point, all of our books have errors in them.  In compiling our book, I found SEVERAL in them all.  I chose to correct them in our version without coming on the forum to address it.  It does not mean that the ECTA is not a valid event because the 5th word in the rulebook is misspelled.) We would also like to thank the SCTA due to the fact in an effort to maintain pairity in the sport for people's vehicles, much of the verbage in our rulebook mirrors the SCTA as does the ECTA.

As for the Future of Land Speed, it is our tag line.  You sell the sizzle, not the steak, that's all. 

As for the speeds, A lot of the cars running with us are close to their salt speeds one way or the other.  Many feel that they will do better with different gearing, but they will need some time to sort through it, just like salt.  Bikes on the other hand are running faster on the tar because of grip.  We had a guy that has run mid 250's on the salt run 283 on the tar when his engine let go and still coasted to a 273.  that does not mean that we are better, just different.

as for the "haven't seen you on the salt yet".  Really, are we in junior high? Sounds like a bunch of kids yelling, "No Your Stupid," back and fourth.  Besides, if we get in an east coast-west coast battle like the rappers,someone will end up getting shot outside a nightclub in Vegas, and I don't want that to be me.

My comment about justification may be considered by some to be callous, so for that, as my hands are trembling...I apologize for any feelings it may have hurt. 

So, in closing, we all operate venues for racers to explore terminal speed. We all race because we enjoy the challenge, the people, and the speed.  It's like my brother says, the main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing and that is for everyone to have a safe, fun, and fast event.

Hope to see you all soon in whatever surface you choose to be on. (which today happens to be tar at Maxton)

Tim Kelly
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline marksoto

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 08:33:07 AM »
Yes...as stated in the past we have utilized the ECTA rules/records book (2009 and 2010)...as well as their expertise in running a safe and dynamic event.... and we can't thank them enough.  Yes, mistakes were made in printing the LTA 2010 books, and I'm sure there will be mistakes in future publications....we're only human or at least most of us.  This year we have published our own books, with LTA records.  We will continue to make improvements each year, and appreciate all the support.  

Everyone is passionate about Land Speed Racing, lets keep the focus on that.... 

Thanks Mark,
Eleventh grade class President!

P.S.   Now hold on to your boots...their calling for 8-12 inches of snow today.

Offline bak189

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 10:38:46 AM »
Hey people, all this back and forth is BS......"can't we all get along" we are adults....Right.......
Lets race....................
Question authority.....always

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 11:23:17 AM »
Dont mean to nit pik but  Bill W has never run his bike on the salt.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 11:28:25 AM »
They don't get to see moose or black bear on the salt or El Mirage.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 12:28:35 PM »
You think you're nit-picking, Fred?  Well, in that case -- you're wrong.  I know that Bill Warner has run his bike on the salt -- 'cause we were there when he did, and he let me make a pass on his bike, too.

Now - if you're referring to his turbo 'Busa -- no, I don't think he's ever ridden that one on the salt.

Gotta be crystal clear, sir.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 01:13:09 PM »
Ok ya got me Jon. Sort of, I was speaking of his Busa. His vmax was a heck of a bike, but nowhere close to 250.
Traction being such an issue with bikes, and especially turbo bikes, I think some run faster at Loring. IMHO
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 01:44:22 PM »

As to seeing you on the salt --

Stan Back

you can look me up at sw this year
and put a face to the name.

bike #262 (or 262b?)
white van -ohio plates

later,
franey