Author Topic: Starter bike?  (Read 9296 times)

Offline 116ciHemi

Re: Starter bike?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2012, 07:07:13 PM »
The rider course is a great investment. You're starting down a road that can provide much enjoyment for many years. Good luck with it!  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

I'm looking forward to it. I just need to convince my parents that I did not just buy certain death...

-Walt

Offline 116ciHemi

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2012, 12:02:08 AM »
Pictures. Sorry, I'm excited and I have to share.

I bought a motorcycle!

Ok, caging excitement.

Offline Jon

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2012, 03:11:27 AM »
Nice, has it been used much lately?
They're a good simple bike, going to service it yourself?

As far as your parents you got to prove it to them not convince them, speaking form experience as the rider and the parent.

Cheers
Jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline 116ciHemi

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2012, 11:45:01 AM »
It was regularly ridden two years ago, last year it was only ridden a few times. I also found out that this one is a CL350, not a CB. For all of my purposes, that is just as good.

I plan on doing as much work as I can myself. I don't know much about bikes yet, but I have three weeks before my rider course, so I plan on getting things cleaned up and go through things before I ride it.

Offline don

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2012, 12:23:16 PM »
This is the site I have found for questions and were to get parts.

Www.hondatwins.com

Good forum with very knowledgeable people.

Offline don

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2012, 10:13:49 PM »

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2012, 01:30:36 AM »
The youngest two of my children learned how to ride off-road really well before doing anything else.  That, and a riding course, are helpful. That bike has high pipes.  It should be good for trail riding.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2012, 09:42:21 AM »
Hey, there hemi-kid!  Sorry I missed your question about the CB350.  I can assure you that they are a great starter bike.  They are fairly easy to work on once you've mastered pulling the motor out (right side only), 'cause there's not much you can do to the motor while in the frame.  I have two of them, one a race bike, and one a cafe street version.  That said, I'd leave the one you have fairly stock if it's running good.  If you decide to build the motor, there's tons of info on the internet as I believe it is about the most popular vintage race bike out there.  Almost indestructable, although I somehow managed to blow two motors in two successive weekends!
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline 116ciHemi

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2012, 10:12:46 PM »
Tomorrow I should actually get it on the road. I spent the weekend taking the MSF basic riders course, so tomorrow I can go get my endorsement.  I can't say enough good things about the MSF class. While I am sure that I could have successfully made the bike move down the road,  I feel like I have a far better chance of not killing myself. 

I don't know how long I'll be hang on to the bike. If I do decide to hang on to it for more than a year or so I want to build a cafe racer styled bike styled after to one in the American version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. LED turn signals and taillamp, HID headlamp and a better charging system are also on the list for better nighttime visibility and less load on the electrical system.  Till then, I am just cleaning, painting, and fixing little things. I still need to learn more about working on and riding motorcycles, so stock and simple for now. Also, I plan on following Slim's recommendation about finding a riding school to work on becoming a better rider.

Offline El Wayno

• New folks
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2012, 11:56:59 PM »
Life starts about 6000 rpm on the 350. I have several. I have one that has gotten 6 people their motorcycle license. I had a room mate that always asked me why I kept it around when I have faster "better" stuff to ride. He took it around the block and couldn't stop grinning. I said, "Reminds you of why you started riding doesn't it?"

Offline 116ciHemi

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2012, 09:30:47 AM »
The thing is a hoot to ride. Having never really ridden before yesterday, it was a blast. I'm looking forward to my chance to ride it again. I may just have to go for another ride for the heck of it.