Author Topic: Starter bike?  (Read 9310 times)

Offline 55chevr

Re: Starter bike?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 10:03:45 AM »
I see Buell Blasts for sale locally for 1500.00 ... low miles ... the riding schools here all use them ... I agree about the Blast, They are just like a fat girl. Fun to ride but you dont want your friends to see you on one

Offline 116ciHemi

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 09:37:55 PM »
I'm a Buell guy and even though I'd never be caught dead on one, I'd suggest a Blast as a cheap first timer bike.  It's an ugly turd of a bike that has a single cylinder version of your standard Harley engine. 

I ride my Buell XB9S Lightning 120 miles a day and I can't imagine riding anything else.  Probably the most maneuverable comfortable riding bike ever made.

Ugly little son-of-a-guns, aren't they?

I might go pick up that magazine. I know that they are on the high side of my price range, but the looks of the '08+ 250Rs seem head and shoulders above the ones before that.  Any thoughts on looking for a newer bike that might have fairing damage from a laydown or drop? A.) for the lower initial cost and B.) so I don't scratch something shiny when I am an idiot and drop it.

Then it also give me the excuse to put a racing fairing on it and take it to a meet and.... Wait. Bad idea. One money pit is enough.

McRat

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 03:04:17 PM »
It's been 6 years since I've ridden (legally) on the street, but over the years I've had ~30 motorcycles, and about 200k miles, with only 2 accidents that required an ambulance, which both occurred in the first 3 years.  For many years, I didn't even own a car.  Hauling a week's worth of groceries on an Enduro is an art.

Visibility and attitude are the top issues with survival.  Cars do not see you, and you need to assume that when riding.  Pretending they are actively out there with no other goal than to run you over is not a bad idea.

The model of bike isn't really important when you focus on visibility and attitude.  But, bikes that "tempt" you to play ricky-racer aren't good starter IMO.

I like Enduros (dual purpose, dirt/street) for starters:

You sit high, and have excellent visibility, you can be seen better.  A simple/ cheap exhaust mod can increase the sound level (not obscene, just loud enough to be "visible").  Wear a bright colored jacket and helmet.  No, I'm not talking DayGloReflectorVest, I had a yellow Malcolm Smith jacket I often wore, and a white helmet.  When the helmet/jacket wore out, I got new.  I pretty much looked the same from 1970's to 2000.

Enduros are nimble, light, and fuel-stingy. 

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 03:17:04 PM »
Pat - and everyone that might wonder what to do with a person that wants to start riding a motorcycle:

I've been asked about a zillion times (by the locals folks that have heard about our racing activities) -- I'm getting a Yamasuzida 65432 after school ends in June, and the first thing I want to do is buy a (insert:  loud pipe, slick tires for racing, fancy bodywork, etc, etc).  What should I spend my money on first?

And I always respond the same way -- "Spend about $500 and take a riding school".  They complain that a school sounds boring.  I respond by telling them that if they take a good school and try hard to learn -- that they'll probably be able to ride circles around their buddies, and that they'll be far more likely to make it through the dangerous rookie year without crashing.

Sounds dull -- but the few that have tried it have come back to me and thanked me.  Walt is planning on visiting Nancy and me this weekend.  Guess what story I'll be telling him?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 03:46:41 PM »

And I always respond the same way -- "Spend about $500 and take a riding school".  They complain that a school sounds boring.  I respond by telling them that if they take a good school and try hard to learn -- that they'll probably be able to ride circles around their buddies, and that they'll be far more likely to make it through the dangerous rookie year without crashing.

Hey SSS, riding schools aren't just for the inexperienced and/or rusty.

One of my best all-time riding weekends was a two day dirt track class with American Super Camp! It was quite a few years ago, but what I learned still makes me a much safer and considerably faster rider!

Mark

more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 04:13:12 PM »
Trust me, I know they're not only for newbies.  I had about 150,000 miles total when I took the first of the 5 I've attended.  And once, a few weeks after one of them, I was on the Gold Wing When Bambi the deer ran in front of me.  I instinctively did what I had just been taught - and missed the deer.  A mile down the road, where I stopped to change underpants, I also thought through the situation - and did it wrong!  The school taught me a good thing, hey?

I would be happy to take another -- for instance, the MSF advanced rider school.  But -- up here the only MSF school is the one for new riders, and while I betcha I'd profit from that - the school is "reserved" for new folks only - and always sold out.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

McRat

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 05:05:02 PM »
Yes, rider skill is perhaps more critical than the 2 items I listed, and a professional school is a great way to learn the "easy way" instead of the "hard way".  Sometimes you only get one chance to learn the "hard way".  :-(

Hijack Alert!  Something can be said for the performance automotive schools.

I've done a number of them, but the Bondurant school in Arizona will always hold a special place in my heart.  Took nearly a month to wipe the grin off my face, and I learned a lot, as well as improving my existing skill level.  In 4 years when my kids are ready, they will have to go through such a school before getting a license. 

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
Ask Pork Pie about the rigors of getting his high-speed license in Germany.  The license is "only" for regular driving - not the race track.  But it shows that some places require higher levels of learning before granting higher levels of driving privileges.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 08:09:38 PM »
I agree with the rat a street legal dirt bike is one of the best beginner bikes there is. easy to ride cheap to insure and cheap to maintain good on gas. super motard bikes are also a good choice. the suzuki drz 400 dual sport/drz 400 super motard are both good choices for a first bike.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline 116ciHemi

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 09:45:55 PM »
Hey, sorry to bring up a dead topic but does anyone know anything about CB350s? I am going to look at one tomorrow and I was wondering if there is anything in particular to look out for.

-Walt

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 09:55:40 PM »
Tough engines ... Honda made thousands ... there have been some sharp cafe racers made out of them ... Make sure it starts and runs - doesnt smoke excessively and goes through the gears ...

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 11:22:09 PM »
Hondas are very similar to hammers. They thrive on abuse.   :evil: :evil: :evil:

When I used to go grocery shopping I never used a basket in the store. I figured that anything I could carry in my arms I could tie onto the bike. I also got the groceries bagged in paper, not plastic. Carry lots of bungees!   :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline 116ciHemi

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 11:20:24 AM »
Well, I guess it's time to find a basic rider course now. $850 for what seems to be a decent runner. Starts on the first tap of the button. I brought a friend with me and he test rode it and reported that everything worked well. Good tires, decent battery. I go to pick it up on Monday.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2012, 03:57:42 PM »
The rider course is a great investment. You're starting down a road that can provide much enjoyment for many years. Good luck with it!  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2012, 06:18:15 PM »
I saw this one done awhile ago and love the look of it ...