Author Topic: Funny car cage or containment seat?  (Read 20250 times)

Online jl222

Re: Funny car cage or containment seat?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 02:07:38 PM »

Has anyone seen the problem with the bar coming from the funny car cage to bottom frame rail on pg 25

fig 1?

JL222

Offline doug

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 02:24:24 PM »
We are currently having a funny car cage installed with a full containment seat in a '91 Camaro. It's tight but lots of protection. I can post pics as the work progresses.

Here is a Kirkey full containment with a funny car cage.  It is a Gen II Camaro.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 06:16:25 PM »
I don't see any reason why that would not meet an inspetors expectations..JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline dw230

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 07:02:42 PM »
John,

That bar was put there by SFI. It is their drawing.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 07:41:14 PM »
  The bottom of the front hoop at the intersection with the "down tube" at the door looks like a poor design to me.  Even though it is triangulated, the downward force of a roof first impact seems like it leaves that joint with a pretty high stress load.
  At the very least I would add a vertical brace at that point............. it sure can't hurt.......
  I also don't understand the curved joint brace at the front of the door entry.
  I would be the first to admit that I am not qualified to argue with SFI, but they are, afterall, the same organization that now certifies two different rated seat belt's...............  I guess they figure that one is to be half-safe, and the other for really wanting to save your a-s...............
                                                                        Bob
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 07:49:25 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 08:06:56 PM »
Gussets? pg25
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 08:29:53 PM »
I also don't understand the curved joint brace at the front of the door entry.

I suspect it is to accomplish one of two objectives, it is to provide some give in the joint in case the main tube weld to the halo bar fails, the two curved gusset bars would have some give in them to use up energy in deformation.

More likely I think it is to avoid a long acute angle where the gusset tube joins the halo bar, giving more access for a more reliable weld on the inside of the gusset tube.

By approaching the upper halo tube more at right angles at the joint the heat affected zone of the weld is smaller as well. If that were a very acute angle joint there would be difficulty both making a sound weld on the inside of the acute angle and visually inspecting that weld. If it were a cold weld the whole tube could just unzip the weld in an impact.

That is just my SWAG on why that feature exists. It would be interesting to get an engineer familiar with the analysis of the design to comment.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 08:45:31 PM »
  Hotrod, I am not arguing with you, but it seems that the "acute" inside angle would have the thickest metal at the joint, and the heel would be the thinest and therefore weakest part of the joint.............. just my opinion, obviously................  Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Tman

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 10:06:27 PM »
Bob, the curved "gussett" at the top of the A pillar looks like somebody gettting cute and artistic. I may be new to LSR but have been around many cages. Enjoyed the brief meeting at the Salt Talks!

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011, 10:19:03 PM »
It could also serve double duty as a tubular gusset and a grab handle so the driver can have a place to grab on for exit.

Just my thoughts.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Online jl222

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 10:30:57 PM »

Has anyone seen the problem with the bar coming from the funny car cage to bottom frame rail on pg 25

fig 1?

JL222

I should have said problems [ bob's problems are why I'm waiting to now to point this out] the problem I was trying to point out was the bottom right side tube on funny car cage crossing over to left bottom frame rail [were can one's
legs go? Also cross bar behind seat should be higher to attach seat belts and tube across front of chassis should connect at same point as on left our bellhousing will not clear.

I pity anyone trying to build a cage to these S.C.T.A. [in rule book] drawings and they should be inproved for next year and I'm sure they will be after SCTA becoming aware of short comings

JL222
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:35:35 PM by jl222 »

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 11:03:22 PM »
  I just noticed in the second picture a vertical from the "x" intersection at mid-door which drops to I believe the main frame rail.  I think that would take the place of my suggested vertical brace.
  I am not if favor of the "pro stock/pro mod inner hoop kickback as it drops over the trans tunnel.
  Every time I look at those, I think a good seat and a 12 or 14 point cage should be stronger.
Bob Drury

Offline Tman

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 12:23:11 PM »
It could also serve double duty as a tubular gusset and a grab handle so the driver can have a place to grab on for exit.

Just my thoughts.

Charles

I thought that as well Charles. Watched Nexussian rig up something similar to get out of the berkley

Offline dw230

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2011, 04:25:40 PM »
"  I pity anyone trying to build a cage to these S.C.T.A. (SFI) [in rule book] drawings ..."

John,

Maybe you should contact SFI and have them change their cage specs. Carl Olsen would be a good start.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Online jl222

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2011, 04:41:20 PM »
"  I pity anyone trying to build a cage to these S.C.T.A. (SFI) [in rule book] drawings ..."

John,

Maybe you should contact SFI and have them change their cage specs. Carl Olsen would be a good start.

DW

Well someone should, and ask for structural engineering and the name of the guy [ maybe secretary] that drew them.

JL222