Author Topic: Funny car cage or containment seat?  (Read 20246 times)

Gentry1

Funny car cage or containment seat?
« on: March 28, 2011, 10:52:43 AM »
I posed a question about a roll cage for gas coupe and everyone was very helpful but I've been told several things.  Some have suggested a funny car cage, others a full containment seat, but I don't think you can have both - can you?  Planning to run in Gas Coupe in a Monza, any suggestions on funny car cage vs. full containment seat?

Online SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Funny car cage or containment seat?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 11:06:02 AM »
can you get in and out with both  :-P
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Gentry1

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 11:33:50 AM »
I don't know, Sparky.  Do most people run both?  Or is it "either-or."

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 12:12:39 PM »
It's not "either-or".

Tech would like to see a funny car cage but you may still need laterial head restrant so a full containment seat might be what you want to do. Just remember, the rules are a minimum.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Gentry1

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 02:27:05 PM »
Will a full containment seat fit inside the funny car tubes?  It looks like its too wide.  Does anyone run both?

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 02:55:46 PM »
As with any cage there is no cookie cut cage. A funny car "Style" cage can be built to safety accomodate a full containment seat if the car's chassis will allow it. there are some examples elsewhere on this site that show a containment seat inside a funny car "style" cage. Remember a funny car cage is a cage around the seat within a rollcage (10 point,12 point).
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 09:10:48 PM »
A properly constructed and installed containment seat with a full cage is a good choice, or a good seat with a full cage and funny car cage added also incorporating lateral head restaint system... I say either or !!  the funny cage does what a containment seat does sorta and vice versa.

I prefer a fitted containment seat, as a Funny Cage "generally" does not fit the hips, ribs, shoulders and head as well as the containment seat does... but to each his own.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 04:12:16 PM »
As mentioned above by others, rule 3.A.3 Page 24 does not prohibit both cage and seat containment. The issue, however, may be cost. You can purchase a very good seat, with excellent containment for the body, without the head restraint at about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a full seat. Rule 3.a.3 is focused only on lateral head restraint. You can easily build that kind of restraint into a good roll cage. The question is; can a cage modification (i.e., addition of lateral restraint) be done cheaper than the purchase of a full seat? In most cases a cage modification may be less expensive than the head-restraint-seat. The cage also “may” be stronger. I have searched for sled testing on seats and I have yet to see any good data on the strength of the lateral restraint. I don’t know if NASCAR has a spec minimum for lateral G force. However, looking at the aluminum seat fabrication, a steel cage might possibly be stronger. Without data who knows?

Online SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 04:24:30 PM »
at the June El M race I spent a lot of time talking to various suppliers, and techies about my new Lakester--They seemed to be pointing me toward a 9 point harness with a "hans type" for helment control Seems to me like a 9 point "would deal" with nearly anything that 3.a.3 extension "could deal" with.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 06:21:29 PM »
Gentry: It seems to me a cage structure modeled after a "pro stock" system would be more appropriate for a gas coupe than a funny car. They seem to have pretty good side protection when we see the at the drags. You can always add the lateral movement clearances with the proper padding. Funny car type cages seem to fit center steer cars a lot better....Good luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline martysmilt

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 08:18:13 PM »
This is what we had in the car last year.  As a new car we wern't sure what would pass so we thought we would go with what we knew was safe
 I don't know if this will post here but this is the link  http://www.flickr.com/photos/martys_pictures/5858588584/in/photostream

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 02:10:03 AM »
Thanks for the link, Marty. I'm not sure but it looks like you have both systems in there. The aluminum inside the top of the cage looks like the seat's head restraint and the cage certainly looks like it is full containmnet? Do you have trouble getting in or out?

Offline FoundSoul

• MegaSquirt Your Mind!
    • DIYAutoTune.com
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 12:09:14 PM »
Thanks for the link, Marty. I'm not sure but it looks like you have both systems in there. The aluminum inside the top of the cage looks like the seat's head restraint and the cage certainly looks like it is full containmnet? Do you have trouble getting in or out?

Ditto that.  What is your review of running both?  I'm pretty close to buying my seat and building the cage around it, trying to make the call on this now.
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
http://www.DIYAutoTune.com and http://AMPEFI.com
13 Records total held at the ECTA Ohio Mile (as of 9/2015)
Fastest so far-- AA/BGC Record @ 217.3913mph September 2015  -- MS3Pro Engine Management and a little 3.0 liter

Congrats to our customers:
Lee Sicilio - 1969 Daytona Charger #97 - Bonneville A/BGALT Record Holder - 273.514mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control
Gary Hart - 1953 Studebaker #787 - Bonneville AA/BGALT Record Holder - 240.984mph - MegaSquirt-1 EFI and Ignition Control
Frank Kinney - Black Opel Racing #6666 - Bonneville E/GMS Recond Holder - 208.974mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control

Offline jl222

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 01:56:19 PM »

Ditto that.  What is your review of running both?  I'm pretty close to buying my seat and building the cage around it, trying to make the call on this now.

Our cage on the 222 car is similar but front of cage is not as far foward but with lateral helmet rule we had to extend

padding 11/2'' foward of bar, we also have an x brace at door which we have to lift leg over bar. I had this car built the safest way I knew of using an Alston pro-stock complete body over chassis designed by structural engineers.The chassis comes frow Alston tack welded together and Pro-Chassis builder of car had a certified aircraft welder tig weld it. With new Hans and head restraint rules I can hardly get in but getting out is a bit easier.

If I were building it with new rules I would have moved seat and cage back further and extended petals and steering wheel to leave more room to get out. I definitely like the added safety of the funny car cage.

JL222

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 01:58:58 PM »
We are currently having a funny car cage installed with a full containment seat in a '91 Camaro. It's tight but lots of protection. I can post pics as the work progresses.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15