Author Topic: 1934 Ford Gas Roadster  (Read 46572 times)

Offline Jorge

• "Foot on the gas till you see god then stop"
Re: 1934 Ford Gas Roadster
« Reply #120 on: October 12, 2011, 09:00:41 PM »
I hope my reply to you Dan wasnt taken in a negative way as I can assure you that was never my intention. As Ive come to find out, this is a hard way to start an LSR career but If enough research gets done on my part and with help of other experience members I know I can build a roadster that can offer some good competition in chasing future records and maybe "set one of my own"
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 09:03:25 PM by Jorge »
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy $hit, what a ride!"

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2011, 01:05:06 PM »
If you want to build a 33/34 look to the fastest one of Dave Davidson. His definatly has the "stockest" demensions of any of then especially in the hood side panels where the the stock front and back edges are NOT parrellel from Henry. I'm not going to comment or others or what is allowed by the committee; just what the rule book says and how Henry built them if you are going to work with a Ford.

Today other brands are showing up and guys are doing their homework by bringing all the stock demensions with them and then doing what the SCTA rule book allows for the class.

Don't be discouraged.......I never was...............................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2011, 01:38:32 AM »
John, lets pretend you forget to install a bracket on the frame and you clean the area to bright steel and weld one on.  How do you repaint the area to match the powdercoat on the surrounding parts?  Also, a few details about the aluminum paint would be helpful.

Offline jww36

« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2011, 09:14:58 AM »
Wobbley;
Good question. The best and only way is to have someone in the car painting business to match to color, Anthracite in my case, and touch it up. A pain, but that's pretty much all you can do. Seymour sells a stainless steel spray paint, but it didn't hold up to the salt. I have a good friend who has access to IVD (Ionized Vaper Deposit) coating. Absolutely fantastic. It goes on steel , aluminum, titanium, anything. It is an aluminum coating that is done in a vacuum. It held up great. I can't tell you the cost, as mine was done as a favor. But one thing about it, you'll never have to worry about those parts again.
John
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 09:18:16 AM by jww36 »

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2011, 11:55:40 PM »
Thanks, John.  If I use powdercoat I will use black or some other color that is easy to match.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2011, 12:14:18 AM »
Any Roadster class roadster guy needs to pay attention to Jimmy6's posts.

He's  way kinder than Stan Back is with St Rdstr rule benders, but don't think he can be fooled.

Words to the wise, like they say in South Central, and in LA County(jail), "He Be Knowin""

Would anyone want to POWDER PAINT a salt flats race machine?

5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline jww36

« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2011, 09:23:55 AM »
Bystander;
This blog is not about individuals trying to bend the rules or cheat. It's about individuals asking questions to make sure their car is legal. I think we would all agree in almost every class, there are grey areas open to interpertation in the rule book. I for one don't like that. But if the SCTA rule book covered every single issue in every single class, the rule book would be bigger then the McMaster-Carr catalog!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2011, 10:27:02 PM »
Problems with powdercoat on some of my stuff made me do some research.  The system can perform well.  There is a vast difference in the coating performance based on the quality of the preparation, materials and the care and skill of the coater.