Author Topic: 1934 Ford Gas Roadster  (Read 46570 times)

Offline Jorge

• "Foot on the gas till you see god then stop"
Re: 1934 Ford Gas Roadster
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2011, 08:29:09 PM »
John,

Did you have any trouble passing through tech with the Dick Williams roadster body? Do you happen to know the dimensions of the 34 roadster?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 09:10:08 PM by Jorge »
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy $hit, what a ride!"

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2011, 09:00:03 PM »
John, contact Russ Eyres on the SCTA roadster committee (SCTA web site) for the legal dimensions on the roadster body. He should have them all
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Jorge

« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2011, 09:06:35 PM »
Glen,

I was wanting to know the dimensions not John. I know there are a lot of companies offering reproduction bodies, but got some good information from a friend that not all reproduction bodies meet the dimensions that the SCTA use, i didnt know that. Thanks for the extra info Glen.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 09:13:25 PM by Jorge »
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy $hit, what a ride!"

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2011, 09:57:30 PM »
OK Jorge sorry on the name mixup.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Jorge

« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2011, 09:59:49 PM »
I sent you a pm so that we wouldnt take up space on Johns page.

Offline jww36

« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2011, 12:08:54 PM »
Jorge;
When I decided to build a '34 Ford roadster, the first thing I did was look for a source for a fiber glass body. I was told about Dick Williams Poli-Form in Watsonville, CA at that time. I actually drove up to talk to him and my first question was is his body legal. He told me the mold is an actual splash from a steel '34. He also mentioned several people had run his bodies with success, including Chuck Salmen's Sum Fun roadster, which I believe holds or held records. I believe this is the Mariana Farms car now. What I was more concerned with was his fiber glass nose. I then contacted Russ Eyres and asked him about Poli-Forms nose, and he said it was legal as long as it was not tilted back too far, and he gave me a dimension for that. The next step was the frame, and where to start as I had no information. I went online and found Wescott's Auto web site and they gave all the frame dimensions for '32 and '33/'34 roadsters.
When I took my car to El Mirage in June for shake down, I asked Russ to come by my pit and look at my car closely to see if there was something that might cause me some problems, as I was more concerned about exhaust and an area around the cage, but he said everything was staisfactory.
One of the reasons I started this blog was for individuals who might be new to LSR and might want to build a car. My thought from day one was to build a car that is 100% safe and 100% legal. If you are going to take the time to do it right, and you are fortunate enough to go fast and possibly get a record, don't be stupid and build something that is questionable legality wise. I've talked to Russ Eyres dozens of times. I've talked to Roy Creel about fire systems, Lee Kennedy about safety equipment. I had Steve Davies come by and look at my frame during construction. If I had a buck for every question I asked, it would have paid for this car!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 12:11:31 PM by jww36 »

Offline Jorge

« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2011, 07:38:41 PM »
John,

The reason I was asking is that Skip Pikes told me to be carefull on which company I go with when purchasing a reproduction body. I didnt know that the SCTA had deminsions for roadsters that needed to be followed. Ive already sent an email to Russ Eyres and Im waiting for his reply. Awhile back I had looked at the Dick Williams bodies insearch for a 32 body, decided to go with another company, turns out those reproductions arent really reproductions. After taking lots of measurements Ive realized that in order to run the setup I want to I need more room in the engine compartment. The 34 can be extended a bit more than the 32 thats how my question came about the roadster company of your choice. Your build diary along with others have been a huge help for the new guy wanting to get into Land Speed Racing. The 34 body is the one im going to go with. Thanks to you and Glen for the info.

Offline jww36

« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2011, 10:48:46 AM »
Jorge;
The key to any fiber glass body is what was the mold taken off of. If the mold was taken off of a modified '32 body or '34 body, you are going to have a modified reproduction body. And because everybody building repo bodies out there are looking for a cleaner or slightly different  look, this is common on '32's. Who ever you get a repo body from,  have him give you in writting it is a splash off an original un-molested car.
John

Offline dw230

« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2011, 11:59:13 AM »
A problem which has become evident in the past is that as multiple bodies are taken from a mold the "original" size changes and the bodies are no longer OEM size. Records lost over this issue.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Jorge

« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2011, 01:22:16 PM »
I understand what you're saying John, I'll wait till Russ responds to move forward.

Offline Jorge

« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2011, 01:26:07 PM »
DW,

When a car goes through tech for the first time, are the dimensions measured at that moment or after a record has been reached or set?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 02:04:15 PM by Jorge »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2011, 03:48:50 PM »
Or a protest from another roadster crew :roll:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline dw230

« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2011, 04:40:57 PM »
During the impound process. You are sure jumping into the deep end for a first time effort.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Jorge

« Reply #118 on: October 12, 2011, 05:34:03 PM »
DW,

I dont want to start any problems or create any issues with anybody, and theres nothing wrong with wanting to know what kind of problems one could deal with later on in the future. It sure would suck to run for 5 years or more and make it to impound "the ones that make it" only to find out that there body dimensions dont match and the pass wont count. Thats what I want to avoid. I dont see anything wrong in planning for the future.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 06:10:29 PM by Jorge »

Offline dw230

« Reply #119 on: October 12, 2011, 08:38:21 PM »
You missed my point. Starting a LSR career with a roadster is a tough way to go.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth