Author Topic: 1934 Ford Gas Roadster  (Read 46567 times)

Offline jww36

1934 Ford Gas Roadster
« on: March 25, 2011, 02:08:43 PM »
I am a newbie according to my profile on Landracing.com and am new to Land Speed Racing. After attending Speedweek for the first time several years ago (more on this later), I decided to build a  gas roadster. This is my first attempt at building a car of any kind. This build diary is not intended to "show off" what I have done, but more of an explanation of how somebody gets started, if you're crazy enough to do it!  I could write a book about the trials and tribulations I went thru. This effort represents almost 3 years, on and off for several reasons. The first was the loss of my father several years ago. Since his loss, I realized recently that he was the inspiration for this project, as the focus on this car helped me thru a difficult time. I know he would be proud. In his honor, the first pictures for this Build Diary are not of my car, but "his car". A project that he spent 10 years building. The first 5 years was spent  building a quarter scale complete running Offy, from scratch. He started with a block of aluminum literely. Along the way, with the help of an older retired engine builder/machinist by the name of Ernie Bose, a cam grinder was even built to grind the cam for this engine. After the engine was completed, he started on the car, a quarter scale dirt champ car somewhat representative of the 98 Agajanian car.  Dennis Webb, here in Orange County, CA,  built most of the frame and the entire aluminum body by hand.
In honor of my father, pictures of  "his build".

Offline desotoman

Re: 1934 Ford Gas Roadster
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 02:21:21 PM »
Outstanding build.

Thanks for the picture.

Tom G.

PS. What are the aluminum Rods on the table for?
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 02:54:58 PM »
That looks gorgeous, as always Dennis's work is outstanding.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline rambler jack

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 03:54:23 PM »
John I look forward to watching your build. I worked with your dad on both the police and fire departments in Costa Mesa. Is the build being done at your shop on Logan?   Jack
Temper is what gets most of us into trouble. Pride is what keeps us there
       SCTA GearGrinder

Offline jww36

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 06:59:10 PM »
Tom G.;
That is the set of Ariel Square 4 rods with your name on them!
John

Offline jww36

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 07:01:03 PM »
Jack;
Good to hear from you. Yes, the car is going together at my shop on Logan Ave. I'll start posting pictures in the morning. Come by any time.
John

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 07:10:08 PM »
Awesome work and detail.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline desotoman

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 11:05:18 PM »
Tom G.;
That is the set of Ariel Square 4 rods with your name on them!
John

Thanks John, I plan on going to see my Brother in the next two weeks, and will stop by your shop.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jww36

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 11:04:30 AM »
Before I continue this build diary, I would like to say Mike Cook was one of the individuals who I called several times to ask stupid newbie questions, and he was always helpful. In the time of serious health issues, all of this stuff is insignificant. My prayers are with the Cook family fo a good prognosis and speedy recovery for Jr.

MY BONNEVILLE INTRODUCTION

Offline jww36

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 11:55:24 AM »
MY BONNEVILLE INTRODUCTION
Eight years ago, I couldn't have told you what a '32 Ford looked like. I wasn't a hot rod guy in any way. One trip to Speedweeks changed all of that. An old friend was flying his plane to Bonneville and asked me to go. I told him I wasn't interested. He persisted, as he didn't want to fly alone, so I finally agreed to go, if only for the plane ride. Upon arrival, we over flew the course and pits and the awesome spectacle below really blew me away. While the sights and sounds of Speedweek initially drew me in, it was the people I met that really sealed the deal for me. That first evening, I was invited to "happy hour" in one of the rooms of the Speedweek crew of Fjastad-Kinne Bothers. I felt a little uncomfortable walking into a small hotel room with a bunch of strangers, but I was made welcome. The team consisted of it's fearless leader Roy Fjastad, his daughter Kathy and husband Carl Olsen and their daughter, Carl Fjastad and his daughter, the two Kinne brothers Mike and Pat, Donny and Dennis McNeil, Jarmo Pulkkinen, and last but not least, the infamous Kenny Hoover. I liked Kenny immediately. He talked for quite a time about his feats of skill and daring as a land speed driver. I later found out, while Kenny is in fact a talented driver, his real talent is his singing voice. A little known fact I was secretly told some time back. Kenny was a backup singer for Elvis Presley in the early 60's.
After this Speedweek event, I still wasn't a hot rodder, but it sure got me think'in. Several years later, Roy told me you haven't done Bonneville until you do it with Fullbore Racing. I crewed for him that year and Mike Kinne drove his old front engine modified roadster to a new world record. I was by now hopelessly hooked!

Next entry - A newbie gets started.

Offline jww36

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 10:51:48 AM »
 :? Having never built a car of any kind before, it was difficult finding a starting point. I knew I wanted to build a '34 bodied roadster and build my own frame, so I downloaded frame dimensions from Wescott's. I purscased a body from Dick Williams at Polyform. Then in the evenings, I sat down with a beer (or two) and started thinking, dreaming and drawing. I decided to go with  heavy wall (.187") lower frame rails and made a template so they could be formed. I started with 2" x 4" frame rails. Since I would be running an SB2 motor, I was going to run the exhaust under the car and exit before the rear wheels much like a stock car. But if you factor in the exhaust crossover/X pipe for these motors, that's alot of exhaust system under the car. At El Mirage in November , 2007, During a wind delay, I spent alot of time talking to Doug Robinson who at the time was running the succsseful BMR gas roadster. During this conversation, Doug explained the benefits of running the exhaust all the way out the back. Once back at the shop, I opened a beer and thought about it. I then thought if I used 2" x 6" frame rails, I might be able to incorporate the entire exhaust system including crossover within the height of these rails so that nothing would be under the car. So after Wescott's determined outer frame dimensions, the interior of the frame was designed and built around the exhaust. The frame cross members would have to be cut, boxed and re-inforced accordingly requiring a little extra fabrication.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 10:58:14 AM »
Very nice build, looking forward to the progress.  One question, have you fitted the body to the frame  or are you going Wescott's prints?  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline jww36

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 11:26:45 AM »
Tony;
For the most part, using Wescott's frame dimensions. Body has been on frame and fits nicely.
John

P.S. - Since nobody responded to my comment about Hoover signing back-up for Elvis, I had better set the record straight and confess I was just joking.   :-D

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 12:01:10 PM »
I believed it.  He's still got the do.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Freud

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 12:23:25 PM »
jwww......great foto.

FREUD
Since '63