Author Topic: 1934 Ford Gas Roadster  (Read 46814 times)

Offline jww36

Re: 1934 Ford Gas Roadster
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2011, 08:27:22 AM »
Jorge;
Car is coming together nicely. I made a quarter scale fiber glass model to determine paint scheme, and the body is being painted as we speak. The big stuff is done, just about a thousand little things remaining. How many days before Speedweek?
John

Offline Jorge

• "Foot on the gas till you see god then stop"
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2011, 11:59:50 AM »
 :-o sleek,simple and clean very nice! Cant wait to see your car out on the salt. How much would it cost me if you made a scale model of that size but for a 32 roadster?
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy $hit, what a ride!"

Offline jww36

« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2011, 04:33:43 PM »
Let's see. The little '34 body is about quarter scale. I'd say a quarter scale '32 body would cost about a quarter of what a full size '32 body would cost!  :-P

Offline Jorge

« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2011, 05:10:01 PM »
 :? I'll stick to the smaller scale, ha!
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy $hit, what a ride!"

Offline Jorge

« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2011, 07:22:35 PM »
Best of luck John! 

Offline Jorge

« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2011, 06:41:41 AM »
How did you do!

Offline jww36

« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2011, 10:18:07 AM »
Jorge;
Overall for a new car, I was happy. The car ran fantastic, but the rear end wanted to "float" a bit. That prevented me from really getting on the throttle hard. I'm pretty sure I know the problem, lack of weight. At 2976 pounds with driver, we were just too light for the course, which other people have said they experienced the same problem. And just to set the record straight, I spun the car on my second to last run, but I have a good excuse! A veteran LS racer (who I shall keep nameless)  was kind of helping us, and when I told him the rear of the car was "floating or dancing", he said all roadsters do that. He told me, "You gotta drive thru that". So on the run I spun, I was on it hard. In 5th gear at the 2 mile, just a little below 8,000 RPM, and BAM, without any indication whatsoever, the car broke traction and snapped  left, then right, then left...Clutch in quick, out of gear and ignition off, and wait for the car to quit spinning. I think it spun for three or four minutes, or so it seemed. Lee Kennedy drove up, asked if I was OK ( my ego was severely bruised) and asked what happened. I told him I was too aggressive and it spun on me. I had to go back to inspection, and the first inspector asked me if I knew what I did wrong, and I told him, "way to aggressive". A few minutes later, Kiwi Steve came up to me and said "I have two words for you mate, TOO AGGRESSIVE". All of us kind of chuckled together, and then I told the group what  so and so (the veteran racer) told me, that I had to DRIVE THRU IT, and all the inspectors really started laughing. They then told me that this guy holds the record for spins, and why was I taking driving instructions from him.  Anyway, the car was fine and on my last run we changed some things and it actually felt better, but they did in fact move the course over night.

So we have a little work to do, but over all, for a newbie, I was happy with our first Speed Week.
John
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 10:21:07 AM by jww36 »

Offline krusty

« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2011, 08:39:39 AM »
Hey John - Glad I got to meet you while waiting in line and got a chance to look over your car. It's beautiful.  And it's true you need more weight. We're up to about 4000 with the C engine in the rear-engined mod. roadster. See you on the Salt next year (maybe WF this year?).    vic

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2011, 09:44:04 AM »
You gotta drive thru that".   :cheers: :cheers:

ugh  I think the words that popped into my pea brain on a back up run were " Well sooner or later you are going to have to find out if you can handle this."  ---same results as yours  "to aggresive and overdrove the course"   :-D  lol  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jl222

« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2011, 12:46:05 PM »

We waited to run the next day when we heard the course would be moved.

As we left around 8:00, we drove down old course #1 and observed a LOT of loose salt on surface, glad we waited but had to shut down both runs the next day due to Lexan windows flexing out.

JL222

Offline jww36

« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
JL222;
Our last run was Wednesday morning after our Tuesday spin. The course had been moved and I wanted a  conservative pass just to make sure the car was OK. For whatever reason, the car felt much better on that run, and that was the best run we had (219 MPH). I don't have enough experience to say for sure, so I don't know whether the course change made the car feel better, or just driving a little easier helped.
Just weighed the car, I know we're too light at 3054 lbs. with driver.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2011, 10:12:37 PM »
John,

Congratulations on your Bonneville outing. You will get it figured out.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2011, 10:52:03 PM »

I would add 500# MINIMUM before you run it next time. Mine is 3500 and 215 is as fast as I have gone. I will add wieght before I try to go faster. 214 was like it was guided by a laser beam, next morning on a fresh course she was evil!!!!  Good luck.
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2011, 11:12:07 PM »
ahhh we they move the course  :-P  :cheers:  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jww36

« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2011, 10:04:28 AM »
Roadster943;
That is the exact amount I am figuring. I have some .312" stainless steel plate that I am thinking about using as a step pan (you can't put weight any lower then that), and then using the lead within the frame to balance car. That (balance) will be the big question.
John

Thanks Tom for the coment.