Author Topic: 1934 Ford Gas Roadster  (Read 46735 times)

Offline jww36

Re: 1934 Ford Gas Roadster
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2011, 07:02:59 PM »
JamesJ;
Go to the Dr. Gas web site. They show the cross overs and "boom tubes" like I'm running. The cross over goes from 3.5" round out of the headers to an oval all the way to the start of the boom tube.
John

Offline jww36

« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2011, 07:04:37 PM »
Rex;
"Full Story" in the morning.
John
P.S. - You said you were going to stop by the shop when you were down. Did I miss you?

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2011, 11:36:34 PM »
John,
I was down for the LA Roadster's Father's day show and staying with a friend, cut time pretty short and only had time for Friday morning at Jack's and a quick trip to Stu's shop. PM me your address and I will make sure I stop by next time.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline jww36

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2011, 12:02:37 PM »
The "Full Story"

Sunday morning - First shake down run.

Great day, great weather. Gene Barbee and his crew, Steve and George, come to El Mirage to help push off. The car is prepped and ready to go. As we push to the start line staging, the right rear tire starts rubbing the inner fender well. We push back to the pit and see the rear axle has shifted to the left letting right tire rub. I assume it is because I set panard rod while car is on jack stands, so we readjust rear panard rod. Off we go to the start line again. Now the left tire is rubbing the inner fender well. What the f#%k, over. We now realize the rear panard mount is flexing while the car is being pushed while turning. The rear axle centers itself going straight. We all decide it will be OK to make a shake down pass as long as it goes straight! I was limited to speed on that first pass any way.

My "engineering" and fabrication philosophy. Keep is as simple as possible, without compromising it's needed purpose. This philosophy doesn't mean the "simplest" way is the "easiest" way. Case in point, I couldn't use Dzus fasteners to hold the fibre glass body on because of the thickness of the two mating materials, AND, I don't believe in Dzus fasteners LOCATING body panels. So what I did on the hood and tonnoue cover is pin the front surface to hold in place and locate, and install floating 10-32 nut plates in the lower flange and use counter sunk 10-32 allens to secure body work.

Back to the run - I left the push truck pretty quickly. Took it to 6800 in first, and had a little difficulty getting into second, and then into third. Wait a second... Houston, we have a problem! The rear of the car is acting like it's on ice. It wasn't losing traction, it's just skating right, then left then right. Chute out!
Back to the pits to diagnose problem. Back to my engineering and fabrication philosophy? Well sometimes we don't follow our philosophy and get a little too cute. Because I don't have a tube bender, and because the rear panard rod needed a bend in it, I decided to fabricate one in three pieces and bolt it together. WRONG. Panard rods are not supposed to hinge in the middle!!
Keep It Simple Stupid!

« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 12:05:18 PM by jww36 »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2011, 12:37:27 PM »
That's a lovely, but scary, piece.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2011, 12:52:16 PM »
JWW36;

Make sure your Panhard rod mounts are in-line horizonally (equal height above ground) at your normal ride height. If they aren't, the Panhard rod will move the axle sideways as the axle goes up & down-- not good! I've seen quite a few Panhard rods mounted wrong.

Regards, Neil   Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2011, 04:24:06 PM »
John, John, John! shame on you!! Looks pretty, works shi__ty. Rather than have a panhard with a bend in it I would have looked a a Jacob's ladder. Might fit better and not have a hinge in it. If you have to have a bend in the panhard then go with a large diameter, 1.5 inch with .120 wall at least.

Tell me the amount of bend and I will send you a piece of 1.5x.120 with the bend in it. I have a length in my tube rack.

This all leads to one of my favorite sayings: "When you learn by experience, the test comes first and  the lesson comes afterward." Bet you won't do it again.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline goldleaf

• New folks
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2011, 10:58:17 PM »
I have a roadster (G class) that is ready for inspection.  You mentioned when you had the inspection at El Mirage, they wanted a leg retention panel above the legs.  Can you explain what they wanted or clarify because I have never seen anything like this in the rule book.  I would hate to go to Utah and find this out.  Your roadster looks great!  I appreciate the help to get through inspection!

Francis
Tucson

Offline Jorge

• "Foot on the gas till you see god then stop"
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2011, 06:24:46 AM »
Hey John, how much feet of square/round tubing do you think might have been used to complete your car?
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy $hit, what a ride!"

Offline jww36

« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2011, 10:44:48 AM »
Francis;
If you go to my first frame picture on this build site, you will notice a square tube running diagnally from fire wall bulkhead to square dash brace that goes across entire frame. The inspectors wanted a panel underneath that entire area to keep feet or legs from coming UP out of that area. Thet said a safety net would do the same, but I'm not a fan of those nets. I think they could do more harm then good if you roll and your arms or legs are tangled in those things.
If you want to send me a cardboard pattern cut to fit your car exactly, I can make you a sheet metal panel.
John 

Offline goldleaf

• New folks
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2011, 01:09:05 PM »
john thank you for your quick reply. i figured that is what they wanted. thank you for the offer to cut up some sheet metal for me; but,i have my steering and u-joints for steering in that area. it is best for me to fit it to the car. i love the workmanship on your car and  really understand what it takes to make it simple and workable.

Francis
Tucson                                                                                                     

Offline jww36

« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
How many days before El Mirage?

Offline Jorge

« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2011, 03:50:44 PM »
Where you able to get the panel above your feet taken care of, looks like there's a lot of work to get done. Hope all goes together well and see you guys next weekend.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy $hit, what a ride!"

Offline jww36

« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2011, 06:40:31 PM »
Jorge;
Got our panels done, installed new Schroth seat belts, and in my "spare time" replaced the manual shifter on the Liberty trans with an air shift set up that was shipped to me yesterday. Panard rod/watts link tomorrow and Monday.
See ya at the races!
John

Offline Jorge

« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2011, 10:48:22 PM »
Hope your plans and the car are on track for next month. Having this month off must have giving you more time to prepair for Bonneville, what if any changes have you made to the car?