Author Topic: 1934 Ford Gas Roadster  (Read 46786 times)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: 1934 Ford Gas Roadster
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2011, 04:26:31 PM »
John, your car is craftmanship in action. Nice job.

Just don't let Desotoman see your exhaust   :-D
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2011, 04:50:27 PM »
John, Are those pipes and tips a Dr. Gas set up?  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline jww36

« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2011, 04:52:58 PM »
desotoman;
The body has some rake to it, so visibility is fine.

Dynoroom;
The exhaust on this car kept me up more then a couple of nights! And I can blame Doug Robinson for that. Originally I was going to terminate the exhaust out the side thru the frame in the way the cup cars do today. But at a wind delay meet at El Mirage, I talked to Doug in length about exhaust systems and he convinced me to go all the way out the back. With the cross over incorporated into the frame, and cutting apart the Dr. Gas exhausts outlets and modifying them to fit, I would guesstimate 100 hours in the exhaust system and it's routing to the back. I gotta tell you thou, I've been told the sound is worth the effort!
John

Offline jww36

« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2011, 04:54:52 PM »
Tony;
Yea, they were actually cut apart and narrowed up to clear quick change.
John

Offline krusty

« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2011, 05:13:41 PM »
    JamesJ - glad to see you're paying attention

John - Those 100 hours will pay for themselves in performance (although  not at a decent shop rate!) :)     I'm really looking forward to seeing you and your car @ Speedweek.

vic

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2011, 08:04:42 PM »
My dad was the same way, you may rest assured he is proud of the work youve done on the car. Looking forward to seeing it in person at Speed Week

Offline Jorge

• "Foot on the gas till you see god then stop"
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2011, 10:34:14 PM »
Come to think about it yes you do and I'll take that rolling art work as payment..LOL.. Great job on the build it looks awsome. I stoped by your pit during this past sundays meet after I saw you guys make a pass to get a better look. I wanted to introduce myself but you guys looked real busy and I didnt want to interrupt the work flow. Im wanting to build a roadster myself and I would like to meet you in person and next months meet " if you're there" and ask some questions, if thats alright. Again, sweet build and it sounds real nasty too " in a good way"
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 10:36:08 PM by Jorge »
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy $hit, what a ride!"

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2011, 01:17:01 AM »
Sounds Like I will be talking to Doug about exhaust on my new Lakester  I was wondering how to "ramp up" to fit my larger displacment
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 11:23:48 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jww36

« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2011, 11:11:07 AM »
Jorge:
We had a problem on the shake down pass so we will be back in July. Stop by.

While I have threatened to write a book about my experience (ordeal?) during this build, another chapter would have to include my first SCTA meet with this new roadster. Saturday INSPECTION - 2 hours!The inspectors really only had one issue with the car itself. The panel that prevents your feet or legs inside the car in case of rollover, I put that panel on the outside of the frame, and they wanted it on the inside. And I had no panel above my feet. No problem, a simple sheet metal fix on Monday. The big issue, and a stupid one on my part, the Willians seat belts I had in the car expired in APRIL, 2011. Steve Davies came up to me and said, "I'm disappointed in you. You should have noticed that". Honest to God, I felt like a scolded school kid. So now we have Steve and four other inspectors huddled behind the car trying to decide if I could run or not. And I realize, and everyone else should realize, their position is to keep us safe, not to keep us from enjoying this sport. They finally decided to let me run after Joe with DJ Safety came up with some fixes. By the way, Joe, I owe you a six pack.

Part 2 - Sunday coming next.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 02:26:54 PM by jww36 »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2011, 11:16:04 AM »
Further proof that the inspectors WANT you to be able to run.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2011, 11:28:28 AM »
One time I ordered my crotch straps from a "big name" cat house  turns out they had only little over 1 year left on a 5 yea :-o r---needless to say I ordered the replacements direct from some one who would restrap and recert.. 8-)
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2011, 11:35:49 AM »
One time I ordered my crotch straps from a "big name" cat house 

Sparky, What are you doing ordering crotch straps from a cat house?  Hmmm  :-o Tony

"Because I was too lazy to try to spell C A T A L O U G E"
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 12:40:44 AM by SPARKY »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Jorge

• "Foot on the gas till you see god then stop"
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2011, 01:23:34 PM »
Sorry it wasnt a smoother day for you guys. I'll make sure I stop by next meet.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy $hit, what a ride!"

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2011, 03:50:54 PM »
John,
I was at Jack's over the weekend and they said you had a few problems, other than the inspection stuff at El MO and I saw you ran around 125 mph. Give us the "Full" story.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline JamesJ

« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2011, 04:55:34 PM »
Do you have any more pictures of you exhaust and how it exits the rear of the car? After the collector is it basically just rectangular tubing?