Author Topic: 1934 Ford Gas Roadster  (Read 46744 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: 1934 Ford Gas Roadster
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2011, 06:45:34 PM »
John,

Very nice work. Who makes that shifter?

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2011, 09:22:37 PM »
Beautiful craftsmanship, and yep anyone can do this with a REAL fat wallet. ya can't get those kind of results with Pep boyz stuff. Ain't moaning just a lot crazy,work hard and it takes many months to get where you are in weeks, good show.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2011, 01:30:38 AM »
John,
I have had the privilege of going to Jack's Garage, great group of guys and yes tons of Bonneville experience. You probably know a good friend of mine that is a Jack's almost every day, Stu Van Dyne , tell him "Rotisserie" said hello.

You think you will make the May Elmo??

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline jww36

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2011, 10:39:22 AM »
Tom G. - Liberty makes this box and shifter. Several years ago, I went to Pomona for the World Finals to try to talk to some Pro Stock guys about the Liberty 5 speed they use. This one gentleman with a Pro Stock car was really neat to talk to and spent 15 minutes with me. He looked familiar, but not being a huge NHRA fan, I didn't realize it was Bob Glidden. When he finished talking, he gave me a business card and told me to call Craig Liberty on Monday, and tell him Bob Glidden said to give  me a sweet deal on a 5 speed!

Captthundarr - I WISH I did have a fat wallet. My advantage over some in the building of this car is that I am a metal fabricator, so my labor cost is cheap (the reason it's not free is every once and a while I have to do something for the wife to keep her happy!). This build that is finally coming together in a matter of weeks has been an on and off again 3 year effort.

Rex - Good ole Stu. Actually, Stuart has been a tremendous help in the building of this car. He dynoed my motor in exchange for some stuff I had. He came to the shop and spent 4 hours when I fired the motor in January. He looked at the engine installation and plumbing and quietly recommended some minor changes, which I immediately made.  One of things I realized about Stuart pretty quickly, he doesn't say something just to talk. And when he says something, I listen. The other things I realized, not only is he an awesome engine guy, but his overall knowledge of race cars is equally awesome. I have asked him chassis questions, suspension questions, you name it. You then analize what he is saying and you realize he is spot on. In fact I'm kinda having some marital problems with the wife, and, hmm, I might consult with Stu!.
John

Offline Freud

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2011, 01:24:23 PM »
Not only is this a knock out build, your fotos are marvelous.

Congratulations on both areas.

See if Jack has a shirt your size in the pile.

You are "left out" unless u can wear a Jack's Garage Shirt.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Drewfus

• http://www.smv.com.au
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2011, 08:03:55 PM »
all cool, and completely agree on the guset deal to be clear.

Your workmanship is excellent, and displays the complete package from design to fitment, and have every confidence that is will perform as good as it looks, awesome.

Again, appreciate the details on your build and look forward to seeing more, I'd buy a book if you wrote it,

Cheers,

Drewfus :-)
"Build it small, Drive it BIG"

Offline jww36

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2011, 09:20:34 AM »
A few more pictures as requested.

Offline jww36

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2011, 09:23:10 AM »
Pedal assembly. Tilton pedals using Wilwood single master cyclinder mounts, since Tilton didn't make single M/C mounts.

Offline jww36

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2011, 10:45:38 AM »
Dash - Trying to keep it to the point and simple.

Offline jww36

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2011, 08:24:30 AM »
Shop cat, TIG, overseeing the build and taking a much deserved nap.

Offline Freud

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2011, 01:18:56 PM »
If you take the advice of the cat, you will be well advised.

Sleep on the job.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline jww36

« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2011, 06:51:27 PM »
Well, I've started a new chapter in my book, "How a Newbie Gets Started in Land Speed Racing and Wants to Build His Own Car"!
This chapter is titled, "If You Want it Done Right, You Better Do It Yourself".
Quite a while ago I bought a Franklin quick change off EBay for $750. Not knowing anything about them, I took it to a company that specializes in quick changes and asked them to go thru it. $1400 bucks later I was questioning my EBay "good deal". But at least I thought one item I won't have to worry about during the building of my roadster. Wrong!  I pulled one side off the rear end to determine ring and pinion ratio, and it was full of metal. It was never cleaned properly. So I took it all down and cleaned it hoping setup and everything else would be OK. Wrong again. I noticed the bronze pad behind the ring gear was about to fall off the pin locating it. In talking to people, I was told there should be .005" to .007" clearance between this wear pad and ring gear to keep it from deflecting away from the pinion. It had .065" clearance, but the bigger problem was there was absolutely NO adjustment for this pad as the pin is pressed into the bell! The hole in the case for the shaft was .375" but was stepped down outside the bell to .335" which is about the drill size for 3/8-24. By modifying a tap I was able to thread it for an adjustment screw. I then drilled and tapped a 1/4-28 hole for set screw to lock shaft in place after adjustment, and then made a new bushing bronze pad with .375" shaft.
Another half a day spent on something that wasn't on my TO DO LIST. And El Mirage is getting closer.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:57:56 PM by jww36 »

Offline jww36

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2011, 06:52:48 PM »
New wear pad of bushing bronze.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2011, 08:50:53 PM »
Yep, you've got that right. It seems those of us who "thought" we knew how to build a race car "really" seem to learn a lot of other things along the way......... I know way more about body & paint work now than I EVER wanted to.  :cry:

Great build, I think I'll up date my build page with our changes for this season too.   8-)
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Freud

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2011, 11:53:40 PM »
I'd be interested in the Dynoroom updates.

If I was jww36, I wouldn't question the purchase. I'd question the company that

did his $1400 rebuild.

FREUD
Since '63