Author Topic: Rick gold's comments on alky in gas  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Rick gold's comments on alky in gas
« on: March 22, 2011, 01:40:04 PM »
This topic starts with a copy of a note asking about alcohol & gasoline, and is followed by Rick's discussion:

"Someone at the magazine asked me how to resolve the issue of alcohol in gasoline (Race  or consumer) thats corrosive to engine parts.  What do I tell him? He wants to know if there is an additive or what material to use to re-plumb his car from tank to pump to lines to carb....thanks Anna"

Rick:

Fact is there really are no issues associated with small percentages of ethanol in service station pump or racing gasolines.  In California and across the country literally millions of miles have been logged on gasoline with 10 Liquid Volume Percent (10 LV%), or slightly less, ethanol in the finished blend.  This gives a net oxygen percentage by mass of approximately 3.5%.  This small amount of ethanol in the fuel poses little or no driveability or corrosivity problems in modern cars and bikes.

Additionally, we've found zero problems in service with our ERC MUL-B Racing Gasoline which also contains ethanol as the oxygenate and is used at slightly under 10 LV% in that blend.

There is no need to change hoses, fittings, or lines with fuels of this type because they create no problems.  Much of what passes for 'scuttlebutt' in the racing community re the purported 'problems' with ethanol in the fuel are just false.

Note that there can be issues with certain types of equipment - generators, chainsaws, off-road buggies and the like which have no Electronic Engine Management System (EEMS) to adjust mixture as a function of a Lambda number (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_sensor) being transmitted to the EEMS which then modifies mixture accordingly; usually in an attempt to bring the mixture back to some setting which approximates Stoichiometric (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-fuel_ratio)

With regard to possible additives to use with ethanol oxygenated gasoline, there are many that are useful but not absolutely necessary.  We normally suggest either Blendzall 4600 Green Label Castor, RedLine 2 Stroke Racing Oil, or any of the other good 2 stroke lubricants that exist in the market place.  Recommended dosage is anywhere from 10cc - 20cc (1/4% - 1/2%) per gallon.  Note that all gasolines benefit from the addition of a bit of lubricant.  Not just ethanol oxygenated unleaded fuels.

Hope this helps.  If you have other questions, please just let me know.

Rick Gold - owner
ERC FUELS
ph: 510-276-9334-x18
cell: 510-414-3801
fax: 510-297-5586
E-ML: ercracingfuels@sbcglobal.net
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tman

Re: Rick gold's comments on alky in gas
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 02:16:40 PM »
We go around and around about the topic on other boards. Folks in areas where Ethanol is new think the sky is falling where folks like myself that have been running it for 25+ years see no issues. Sometimes I even remember to add Stabil to my lawnmower (stored outside for 13 years) but if I dont it still starts in one or two pulls in the spring.

I like Ricks comments on additives, wish he would go into detail there.

Offline bvillercr

Re: Rick gold's comments on alky in gas
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 02:21:45 PM »
We go around and around about the topic on other boards. Folks in areas where Ethanol is new think the sky is falling where folks like myself that have been running it for 25+ years see no issues. Sometimes I even remember to add Stabil to my lawnmower (stored outside for 13 years) but if I dont it still starts in one or two pulls in the spring.

I like Ricks comments on additives, wish he would go into detail there.

Email him, he will answer your questions.