Author Topic: High-polishing steel, I think  (Read 4281 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
High-polishing steel, I think
« on: March 20, 2011, 12:13:31 PM »
Here's one for you to help me do, okay?  In our engraving business I've been asked to do some engraving on a highly-polished fireman's axehead.  I can do the engraving -- that works fine.  But to do it we apply a coating that is lasered to make a permanent mark that bonds into the metal.  No biggie.

But - the coating somehow also damaged the other parts of the surface.  Now I've got to either buy a new axe for the customer - or polish the existing one.  As far as I can tell it's very well polished and not chromed.  It's darn near a mirror surface.  The wood handle is still attached -- and I therefore can just send the head out for dip-chroming or something.

How do I polish (or where do I get it done, preferably near home) such a thing?  Got any tips - or maybe experience?  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: High-polishing steel, I think
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 02:05:15 PM »
Jon, if this not chromed, the axe head might be stainless steel. This is pretty easy to polish like other metals. I have polished aluminum successfully by just using a drill mounted buffing wheel and stick compound. You can get that at any good hardware store. I know Home Depot sells polishing kits with different compounds. The White compound is the finest and is used for final steel polishing.

But a lot of grocery stores sell stainless steel polishing compound for pots and utensils. You just rub with a cloth. Try that. If that does not work, try the buffing wheel method.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 02:29:55 PM »
I would think for what that axe has to do, it would be a forging and made from 1045.  Just my 2 cents Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 02:49:27 PM »
Any plating shop should be able to do the polishing because they do that just before they do the plating. If it's chromed there will be a layer of copper on the polished steel followed by a layer of nickel and then finally the chrome plating which will normally be pretty thin.

Pete

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 03:08:55 PM »
Maybe I should've mentioned, Tony, that this axe is for ceremonial purposes only.  While it's built heavy enough to use, it was purchased for display.  The couple will have their names and the Fireman's Maltese Cross engraved on it.  The ring bearer at their wedding will walk down the aisle carrying the axe, held high, and present it to the couple at the front of the church.  They'll eventually mount the axe on the Mantle or in the trophy case at home.

I've checked out a few polishing videos and would be able to do it, I guess -- but want to tread carefully on those waters -- the axe cost the couple $140, and I don't want to further mess up something that I'll end up having to replace.  I doubt that we've got a plating shop within a few hundred miles, but I'll check out the local metal-working businesses to see if maybe there's one about which I don't know.

It's polished to a mirror finish -- did i say that before?  Anything else will not be good enough for the couple.  It'd sure be great to be able to dip it into the chroming solution - but then we're back to the problem of the wood handle not being detachable.  I'll get a photo of it tomorrow and let you see the thing.

Thanks for your ideas so far -- and please keep 'em coming.  The one that I finally use gets his engine's valve covers engraved for free, assuming they've got a flat area suitable for engraving.  All you'll need to do is send them to me.  How's that for enticement?  For that matter -- if you're so good, I'll ship the axe to you, you polish it for me, and when you ship it back - send your valve covers, too. 
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 03:42:10 PM »
Have you thought about finding out where the axe was acquired from. Often items like this are done on this side of the ocean and you might be able to send it right back to the source for repolishing.

Pete

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 03:57:54 PM »
Yes, we're going to try that.  The owner bought it via eBay and will try to work back to find out if we can send it back for refarbulation.  Thanks for reminding me to remind him to get it started.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline salt27

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 04:07:45 PM »
Jon,
Does it have a clear coat on it, thus a soft surface that is easily marred?

Don

Offline fastman614

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 05:31:36 PM »
In my shop, I set up a 3/4 hp bench grinder on a pedestal (with guards removed and cloth wheels attached) so I can work around it... I know that real buffers have extended shafts and a bit more H/P but I have polished a LOT of Harley aluminum to mirror like condition as well as stainless steel pieces.

The grinder I am referring to is like a Home Depot or the like $50 or $60 grinder.,,, the wheels are the various "rouges" are sold in places like even Harbor Freight. I am kind of surprised that if you are into engraving and stuff, that you don't have a buffer....

I have also seen those ceremonial axes.... They may be made out of stainless steel and then highly polished .... or, they may be chrome plated. Check with a magnet as many stainless alloys are not magnetic... if it is magnetic, it could still be stainless but may not be.... Incidentally, polished stainless and  chrome, when placed side by side, are distinguishable from each other... Chrome appears to be a little "whiter" than stainless.....

I do, deep down inside, feel though, that you will be needing information from the manufacturer.

Good luck!
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 05:39:54 PM »
Slim.... It may be nickel plated...... a google look up of ceremonial fireman's axe showed several vendors of these... and Nickel plated was also another option... I didn't spend lots of time looking but I did not see stainless steel as an option.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 09:55:18 PM »
Hate to say it Mr. Slim but in order to make the right fix you will probably have to ask them where they got the axe so you can find out what was damaged thus what to fix. Many manufactures use differant coatings and polishing methods. Luck.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 11:35:45 PM »
Well SSS, since it is already a little FU, I would get a little silver polish and a tube of semi chrome.  Try the Silver first, see if it removes the stain... if not try the semi chrome.   If the finish is pitted, it is already too late.  What is the stuff you put on it to laser it... any warnings on the bottle.
Good luck, but if you have to get another one that one will look great on your easy rider rifle rack in the truck.  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 07:56:34 AM »
The coating for lasering is specifically for coating on metals.  That shouldn't have been the problem - we've used it lots of times.  Nancy tried silver polish - to no avail.  I guess next I'll try a light touch with some 40-grit paper, or maybe a gentle run under the wire wheel.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fastman614

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 09:03:08 AM »
Silver polish may not touch chrome or nickel.... I would caution against using a wire wheel... try a tiny bit of fine valve lapping compound.... but you WILL need to get it buffed after.... I know that I have very successfully also repolished chrome that has had MINOR imperfections... with the various "rouge" compounds... if it starts to clean up fine emory paper or lapping compound, the rest should also work for you.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 09:14:13 AM »
you might try chipping it off lightly with a sharp cold chisle and a 2 lb. hammer :wink:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15