Author Topic: VW's at Bonneville  (Read 15353 times)

Offline 36hplandspeedracer

• Age 70
Re: VW's at Bonneville
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 10:07:34 PM »
If you enjoy entertaining 重庆团购 on a regular basis, your design will need to incorporate elements that will 淘宝网商城 be conducive to entertaining such as covered patios and braai 淘宝网首页 or barbeque areas and the like, where social areas are easily 重庆二手交易 accessed.The amount of maintenance your home ground will 淘宝网 require is another element to consider. Hardy plants such as succulents are low maintenance and 重庆二手电脑 require little watering and attention whereas roses, for example, require pruning and dead 淘宝网女装 heading to encourage bloom.Large grassy areas, beautiful 淘宝网购物 as they are, will need lots of attention if you 淘宝商城 would like it to stay neat and green as grass that is too long 淘宝网女装 will look unsightly. Over grown hedges and kGC9tO shrubs cause a garden to look shabby and unkempt.

Huh?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 12:34:11 AM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 12:30:06 AM »
spam bott----just took it out of about 15 posts
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 12:33:08 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 12:57:45 AM »
Really love D.C.'s turbo bus:

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

• Age 70
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 05:22:23 PM »

Celebrating 51 years of Volkswagen land speed racing at Bonneville..............

Dick Beiths Silver Bullet VW....................

Power will come from a 1450cc, supercharged, intercooled, fuel injected 36hp Volkswagen engine running highly modified single port Volkswagen 36hp cylinder heads............

Dick was the first human on the planet to set any type of a world record racing a Volkswagen in 1960 with a top speed of 80.874 miles per hour and a F/TS two way average record of 77.107 mph, a car he drove to and from the salt! His return to the salt at World of Speed will be the 51st anniversary of this first VW record..............

In the interim he raced a Vette, Mustang and a Chevy powered streamliner in LSR and later owned and sponsored a racer on the Indy car circuit and in the Indianapolis 500 during the seventies.

It is going to be fun having him back on the salt competing in the 36hp Challenge with his F/CC Comp Coupe Volkswagen. Welcome back Dick !

Burly

Offline N72727

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 04:10:12 AM »
More Dick Beith inormation and photos on the H.A.M.B.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481784

• Age 70
Re: SCAT Volksliner
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 12:54:30 AM »
Hi Burly, Thought you might know a little more about the Volksliner, What ever happened to it? did it ever run again? this is from 1971.

Gary

Gary, I wish I could tell you something positive. Since I began maintaining the VW land speed history back in 95, I have tried to "find" the Volksliner to no avail. I have been unable to locate the driver/builder, Phil Knight, who I believe is still alive and living in the 'Frisco region of California and my inquiries to the main sponsor SCAT have remained unanswered. What I have been told, and this is strictly 'rumor', is that the car rests in 'unknown' condition somewhere 'outside' at a SCAT facility. Quote:"It is not to be discussed because it was not successful".

In reality, even if no one ackowledges it exist's, yet it truly does, I am O.K. with that. The main thing is it should not just dissapear! The best outcome would be if some true VW collecting historian like Mark Merrill or Russell Ritchie could obtain the Volksliner and restore it, the VW world would be richer. Both Mark and Russell now have historic VW land speed racers in their possesion and the Volksliner would be the frosting on the cake.

Phil and the Volksliner-Where are you ? ? ? ?

I should take this opportunity to ask the Land Racing.Com community if you have contact info on Phil Knight or the present owner of the Volksliner, "or if they have personal photos of the car" they would share with me and that I could include in the VW land speed history, please PM with contact information.

Wish all of us luck in locating the current or final history of this special and beautiful Volkswagen racer. The 'story' remains open....................

Burly

Well, it's been just over three years since we started the search for Phil Knight and the Volksliner. Tonight I can say we are halfway there. Phil Knight has been found and some long overdue VW LSR history will soon be forthcoming. Phil was interviewed this morning by Brian Watts from XtremeFlat4. Next, can we find the car?

Burly

Offline Freud

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2014, 01:06:31 AM »
The H.A.M.B. site is shut down. No access to the prior url.

FREUD
Since '63

• Age 70
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2014, 01:14:16 AM »
Thanx Freud for the heads up....................................Burly

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2014, 02:00:42 AM »
Burly:

What happened to your Photobucket pics?  Without them, this thread loses a lot of its value.    :-(

Mike 
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

• Age 70
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2014, 08:08:16 AM »
I don't know or understand Mike. This happened a couple of years ago and I don't understand why. And I am not "puter" literate enough to figure it out. My PhotoBucket pics are accepted in the VW forums with no problems.

Any ideas ? ? ? ?

Very good question.......................

Burly

Just tried it again. So far, it is showing it is posting. Let's hope it sticks................

Offline Ted Hlokoff

• New folks
  • sc GTS and TT GTS
    • Viper Nation
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 10:34:11 PM »
The photobucket hosted pics are the worst for being erased by them.  My host .imageshack. has done the same because they lowered the amount of pics they allow people to host and removed groups of your pics.  They are commercial corps.

I sucessfully street raced for 25 years (Gov stole drag strip).  I built Show and Race cars for 10 years professionally.  Have been doing well racing Half, Mile and Open Road Rally last few years.  I have many Mopars in my yard, 2 Vipers, 3 Stealth TTs, 440 Duster, 340 Demon, and a dozen project cars.

• Age 70
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 10:42:31 PM »
The photobucket hosted pics are the worst for being erased by them.  My host .imageshack. has done the same because they lowered the amount of pics they allow people to host and removed groups of your pics.  They are commercial corps.

Ted, I may have found the problem. If I move a pic in one of my Photobucket files to a new file, where ever I have shared that photo it gets the "person moved or deleted" this image notation and the picture is gone. I found I can reinstall them if the forum link is not too old and will allow me to "edit" my earlier comment. Sadly, too many of my LandRacing.com "comments" were old and would not allow me to go back and re-enter the images.

If I could, I would........................

Thanx for your observations

Burly

Offline Ted Hlokoff

• New folks
  • sc GTS and TT GTS
    • Viper Nation
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2014, 01:07:26 AM »
Hoping this works.  Saw these guys at the Mojave Mile.  One said he was the Land Speed Record holder and the other was faster and planned to to collect the world record at Bonneville later that year. 
I sucessfully street raced for 25 years (Gov stole drag strip).  I built Show and Race cars for 10 years professionally.  Have been doing well racing Half, Mile and Open Road Rally last few years.  I have many Mopars in my yard, 2 Vipers, 3 Stealth TTs, 440 Duster, 340 Demon, and a dozen project cars.

• Age 70
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2014, 01:38:16 AM »
Hoping this works.  Saw these guys at the Mojave Mile.  One said he was the Land Speed Record holder and the other was faster and planned to to collect the world record at Bonneville later that year. 

Dan Durie in the hat with the orange bug was the old SS36Bug record holder (VW Challenge records!) and Juan Cole in Bonneville Herbie took the record away from Dan at Mojave. Nice pic..............Burly