Author Topic: VW's at Bonneville  (Read 15354 times)

Offline 36hplandspeedracer

• Age 70
VW's at Bonneville
« on: March 19, 2011, 04:21:05 PM »
Great news for land speed racing's Volkswagen community. And this is not just 36hp specific news; it includes the VW big block racers and fans as well.

1st---RK Smith from HOT VW's magazine has just announced in the April issue he has scheduled a visit to Bonneville this year to cover the 36hp Challenge and other VW's racing at the World of Speed event in September. Be sure to have your VW's looking great as they may get caught on film(O.K., on a digital card, but you know what I mean).

2nd---Weber 48 IDA(and IDM) Carburetors are now legal in the DSS36 categories of the 36hp Challenge. We have recently received confirmation by way of published reports showing these carburetors were available in 1964 on Shelby Cobra's making them pre-65 and legal to run in DSS. This should open up more carburetor possibilities for many DSS Challenge participants that have been unable to locate good performing components in the used market.

3rd--- Wolfsburg West has offered a $1000.00 contingency award to 36hp Challengers racing in the Bug, Ghia and Bus DSS (pre 65 dual carb) categories. To win this award, it is not necessary to use the complete Okrasa replica kit they now manufacture. You only have to run the WW dual port heads supplied in the kits and also sold separately. These heads can be modified and used with the aforementioned Weber 48 IDA carbs if you choose.

4th---The Australian version of Bonneville kicks off this years 36hp Challenge with as many as five or six 36hp entries participating. The DLRA Speedweek starts later this week with Steve Muller and his Team Ratmuller Racing leading the charge with both big block and 36hp racers being assembled as we speak. In addition, Mark Holyoak will again return with his big block Super Beetle to make their Speedweek the biggest down under VW land speed event ever and coverage will be provided by VolksWagen Magazine Australia (VWMA). These mates from OZ will be great competitors to us above the equator folks so do not be surprised if some 36hp Challenge records get bumped up before the Maxton, Mojave, Texas, Maine and Bonneville events.

This will be a great year for VW's at World of Speed. Come join us if you can.................

Burly

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: VW's at Bonneville
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 04:54:15 PM »
I just got reminded that I've offered to set up a VW-specific topic here -- probably as a child board for Bonneville, although maybe it'll be a separate one and NOT tied only to Bville.  Keep your eyes open for it soon.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline dw230

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 11:51:26 AM »
Jon,

I think that would be a good idea. All the VW, 36 HP specifically, events run on a mile and the records can be cross referenced.

This is a neat deal because a person, if so inclined, can participate in several meets a year and run against the same record in each venue.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

• Age 70
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 12:24:59 PM »
Jon,

I think that would be a good idea. All the VW, 36 HP specifically, events run on a mile and the records can be cross referenced.

This is a neat deal because a person, if so inclined, can participate in several meets a year and run against the same record in each venue.

DW

In actuality, the 36hp Challenge records can be set at 'any officially sanctioned land speed event' with a course of at 'least' one mile in length and be recognized as the overall class record.

First, our cars will always be 'slow' racers in the land speed world and this allows competitors in Australia, North Carolina, Texas, Maine or So Cal and Utah to have regional venues at which to race. Secondly, the advantages/disadvantages can be likened the the benefits of racing at sea level versus the high 4200 altitude of Bonneville so we let the 'record' chips fall where they may. And third, only the highest single pass speed is recognized, no two way or back-up passes are mandated. The thought behind this is to keep the Challenge as simple as possible to encourage involvement and maximize participation. Minimal class guidelines, no physical engine inspections ( I know, that's naive! ), lot's of LSR venues and good old fashioned trust.

Should 36hp Challenge participants 'hopefully' decide to move up to regular long course racing (and a few already have!), they can then grow into the more stringent, official methods of land speed racing record validation up to and including F.I.A. requirements.

So far the 'honesty' part of the equation has been working. The fingers are crossed!

The new Land Racing.Com forum is called ' 36hp VW stuff ' and hopefully it will grow as it is discovered by more Vdubbers and folks who have similar interests.

Burly

Offline jangleguy

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 01:33:07 PM »
Can't wait to start finding these in the wrecking yards to build my entry from. Although they sell for $600 brand new and get 200+ MPG. Now, after shooting my mouth off, I hope the photos post okay. Here goes nothin'...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 01:39:37 PM by jangleguy »
Tyre Friars Hot Rod Gang   http://scottygossonexposed.blogspot.com/

Offline jangleguy

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 01:34:57 PM »
Another look...

Offline jangleguy

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 01:36:23 PM »
Check it out...

Offline jangleguy

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 01:37:41 PM »
And finally, the money shot!

• Age 70
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 01:48:01 PM »
Can't wait to start finding these in the wrecking yards to build by entry from. Although they sell for $600 brand new and get 200+ MPG. Now, after shooting my mouth off, I hope the photos post okay. Here goes nothin'...

JangleGuy, I didn't find any in my local crasher lot so I guess we will have to resort to the old D.Y.I. techniques.

The 2010 World of Speed story on VW's in Hot VW's magazine is just hitting the news stand now. Look for the May issue to see many of the VW racers.

See you on the salt..............

Burly

Offline jangleguy

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 02:23:43 AM »
Burly! Good to know you're still kickin' out aircooled power... I'll watch for that issue of the magazine.

Upon further review, the VW commuter module will actually sell for $26,000 in the U.S. (if they're sold here at all). The target market is China, so I may have to go there to troll wrecking yards...

• Age 70
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 12:37:50 PM »
Burly! Good to know you're still kickin' out aircooled power... I'll watch for that issue of the magazine.

Upon further review, the VW commuter module will actually sell for $26,000 in the U.S. (if they're sold here at all). The target market is China, so I may have to go there to troll wrecking yards...

Thanx for the link. I got a chance to read it this morning and each was a super story. And yes, you are one of the fellows from Oregon! I read your link and the words and pics are great! You have 'the magic'! Keep on scribing and I will see you on the salt.................

Burly

Burly

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 01:34:55 PM »
Hi Burly, Thought you might know a little more about the Volksliner, What ever happened to it? did it ever run again? this is from 1971.

Gary
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 01:36:18 PM »
  pic
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

• Age 70
SCAT Volksliner
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 02:32:51 PM »
Hi Burly, Thought you might know a little more about the Volksliner, What ever happened to it? did it ever run again? this is from 1971.

Gary

Gary, I wish I could tell you something positive. Since I began maintaining the VW land speed history back in 95, I have tried to "find" the Volksliner to no avail. I have been unable to locate the driver/builder, Phil Knight, who I believe is still alive and living in the 'Frisco region of California and my inquiries to the main sponsor SCAT have remained unanswered. What I have been told, and this is strictly 'rumor', is that the car rests in 'unknown' condition somewhere 'outside' at a SCAT facility. Quote:"It is not to be discussed because it was not successful".

In reality, even if no one ackowledges it exist's, yet it truly does, I am O.K. with that. The main thing is it should not just dissapear! The best outcome would be if some true VW collecting historian like Mark Merrill or Russell Ritchie could obtain the Volksliner and restore it, the VW world would be richer. Both Mark and Russell now have historic VW land speed racers in their possesion and the Volksliner would be the frosting on the cake.

Phil and the Volksliner-Where are you ? ? ? ?

I should take this opportunity to ask the Land Racing.Com community if you have contact info on Phil Knight or the present owner of the Volksliner, "or if they have personal photos of the car" they would share with me and that I could include in the VW land speed history, please PM with contact information.

Wish all of us luck in locating the current or final history of this special and beautiful Volkswagen racer. The 'story' remains open....................

Burly

Offline jangleguy

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 11:56:11 PM »

Thanx for the link. I got a chance to read it this morning and each was a super story. And yes, you are one of the fellows from Oregon! I read your link and the words and pics are great! You have 'the magic'! Keep on scribing and I will see you on the salt.................

Burly

Thanks for the kind words, Burly! Looks like you still got it, too! See you on the salt in a few short months...
Scotty