Author Topic: Snell Helmet  (Read 8035 times)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Re: Snell Helmet
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 01:39:10 PM »
Ransom,  there is no "written" 5 year rule from MFG Date.  That is a rule of thumb many racers use when you wear a helmet alot,, lots of wear and putting on and off and wearing for long extended drives or rides etc..

In LSR  we may only wear our helmets for 3 to 10 minutes at a time from time we suit up till time we finish a run,, and may only make 20 to 50 runs a year. 

So the SFI certifications and expiration's are what matters (from what I have read and been told)

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline fastman614

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 05:07:22 PM »
Cajun.... that is a pretty good way to sum it up.... it is the way that I, as an inspector for over 30 years now, have always accepted the rule regarding helmets as being....

The rule book also states this- "....Helmets shall be undamaged and in serviceable condition" This clause pretty much cover what you said about helmets that are heavily used.... The one thing that everyone needs to know and be reminded of too is that the materials from which helmets are made can and will "bio" and otherwise degrade.... sunlight, ozone, oils/fuels etc will all cause material degradation.... that is the reason for a minimum of annual inspection of helmets..... and even if a person is aldo a dry lakes competitor and has had his helmet inspected, I still like to quickly look at it- to see, if nothing else, that the inspection decal is still intact.

And.... some of us.... me included, may only make 4 to 7 runs in a year.... my helmet which is 10 years old and now retired (as well as the last one from the 90s) is(are) in near new condition...  From the 70s, they are all lined up on a shelf in my downstairs "den"....

Have we all overwhelmed you yet? :wink:

No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 06:34:04 PM »
"But what if you have no flammable liquids in your vehicle? I'm running all electric, no gas, no fuel."

An electrical short can't cause a fire?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline fastman614

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 07:37:10 PM »
You still need a helmet in serviceable condition, Stan..... just 'cuz the electrical won't cause a fuel fire.... doesn't mean you can run "air in the hair" style..... :wink:

Offline RansomT

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 08:24:13 PM »
This CRS is killing me  :-D

Well, I did open up my rule book .... And I am not right! :-o

Offline fastman614

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »
This CRS is killing me  :-D

Well, I did open up my rule book .... And I am not right! :-o

Ransom.... when ALL ELSE FAILS..... read the instructions.... look in the rule book....  etc....

You ARE one of us!!!!! Welcome home,Bro!!!!!!! ROFLMAO