Author Topic: Ganassi 1 mile coastdown tunnel  (Read 7287 times)

Offline sabat

Ganassi 1 mile coastdown tunnel
« on: March 18, 2011, 11:04:05 AM »
This might be well known, but I had never heard of it before. Very cool re-purposed train tunnel for racing aerodynamics R & D.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/articles/nascar/the-secrets-of-laurel-hill/

Offline Tman

Re: Ganassi 1 mile coastdown tunnel
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 01:48:13 PM »
Excellent thread on the HAMB about this abandoned Turnpike.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361609&highlight=laurel+hill

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 02:38:08 PM »
In watching the old movie -- I noticed that it sure was in the "olden days", when drivers would drive in the right lane.  When a car (in the movie) exited the tunnel -- bang, the driver moved to the right.  You don't see that very much today.  Now it's "left lane for most driving and right lane for passing and B-type personalities.

But whatever my opinions about driving in the correct lane -- thanks for the stories and links.  It was a pleasant way to spend a few minutes.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tman

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 04:35:27 PM »
Jon, that varies from state to state. We drive in the right lane out here, left lane is passing only. Some states alternate their heavy truck traffic to even out wear on the roads.

DocBeech

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 06:36:16 PM »
Here it depends on the city your in. Some have signs posted left lanes passing only, other places you encounter the idiots that drive in the left lane going 5 under the speed limit. I got stuck behind someone today for a couple of miles that was doing 20mph in a 35 because he was talking on his cell phone and not driving. The days of driving sometimes even for a guy as young as me feel long gone.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 07:39:53 PM »
Nancy and I drive about 35,000 miles/year to and from race events -- so get to see lots of roads, all populated with other vehicles.  We probably see 20 states each year, and we often take different roads from the last trip - just to vary our scenery.  I have yet to find more than a very few places where people don't hog the left lane, usually going a speed that would be expected to travel in the right lane -- leaving the left for passing.  It is marked, one way or another, most everyplace -- "Keep right except to pass".  I know that on some city freeways it is consider okay to travel in whatever lane you choose, so you probably would not get a ticket for hanging out in the left -- but you'd likely get the finger from more than a few people for doing it consistently.

Okay -- let's get back to Chip Gnassi.  Sorry I led this into a non-related topic.  If you feel the need for one more comment on lane choice, go ahead - but keep it to one time so we don't get too many people cranky at us.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Burk

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 08:30:33 PM »
The Pennsylvania Turnpike was originally built in the late 1930s because the tunnels were there . They had been bored in the 1880s for a railroad that was never completed .

Offline Tman

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 09:34:52 PM »
The Pennsylvania Turnpike was originally built in the late 1930s because the tunnels were there . They had been bored in the 1880s for a railroad that was never completed .

You can still track part of it on Google Earth, farming and nature has made it hard to see however.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 08:29:46 AM »
Slim, As a fellow Michigander I can assure you .....The right lane is for idiots yacking on a cell phone, The left lane is for morons eating a sandwich while yacking on a cell phone :wink:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

DocBeech

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 12:32:17 PM »
^I fixed that problem with a 100 dollar cell phone jammer. I have one installed with a remote shut off so I can turn it off and on at will. It doesn't interfere with the radio or gps system at all. I hard wired it in to the vehicles electrical system. Every vehicle with in 80 meters is jammed from cell phone communications up to 4g systems. I can set it on medium range and it will only jam out to 50 meters as well. I think it improves the safety when I have my 4 year old god son in the car. Driving is for driving if you want to use the phone pull over or wait till you park. On the military bases it was illegal to touch a phone while driving.

I recommend a similar system in any vehicle that a teen will be driving, or even for your own personal cars. Just make sure you have a remote shut off just in case of an emergency.

Offline turborick

• Go as fast as we can with as little as we can
    • http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 12:54:49 PM »
^I fixed that problem with a 100 dollar cell phone jammer. I have one installed with a remote shut off so I can turn it off and on at will. It doesn't interfere with the radio or gps system at all. I hard wired it in to the vehicles electrical system. Every vehicle with in 80 meters is jammed from cell phone communications up to 4g systems. I can set it on medium range and it will only jam out to 50 meters as well. I think it improves the safety when I have my 4 year old god son in the car. Driving is for driving if you want to use the phone pull over or wait till you park. On the military bases it was illegal to touch a phone while driving.

I recommend a similar system in any vehicle that a teen will be driving, or even for your own personal cars. Just make sure you have a remote shut off just in case of an emergency.
what system do you have? web link?
Rick Yacoucci

The new Nebulous Theorem 3.5 #788
http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com

Offline tedgram

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 02:09:29 PM »
Interesting article.

Offline bobqzzi

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 09:49:04 PM »

While I completely agree with you, I feel the responsibility to point out they are illegal.

Offline dw230

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 09:54:25 PM »
A California classic today.

I was taking my son to school and we passed a billboard(?) I don't know what they call those message boards with lights that tell of traffic issues, and it was posted as "Hand held cell phone fine $159 - not worth it".

The very next one told me to call 511 for traffic conditions. Moral of story, do NOT re-elect a former Gov. even if he is only 78 years old.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 09:58:08 PM »
You liked the last one?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records