Author Topic: The Mormon Missile Streamliner  (Read 11998 times)

Offline RCKirby

The Mormon Missile Streamliner
« on: March 18, 2011, 09:55:43 AM »
I thought I would post this video of the Mormon Missile...designed, built and piloted by Lynn Goodfellow.  It's fun for a cameraman to shoot because you can see it coming from almost the starting line...(If it ain't smokin', it must be broken!).  It's a beautiful vehicle to watch run at speed.

I hope it helps you all to endure the few months between now and the hot days and nights of SpeedWeek!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7LWEnqlaIs

RCKirby

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: The Mormon Missile Streamliner
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 10:09:12 AM »
Here's a video that I was graciously given during the 2009 Shootout.  I'm sorry that I don't have the name of the photographer - but I did give him credit way back then.  This shows some of Curt's driving. . . :-o

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Breck

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 06:48:43 PM »
Two questions. 

What the record for the quickest wipeout?  Is that the record?  That was almost a three count.  : ]

Looks like he forgot to latch the canopy to, or is that one of them new fangled, Nascar insired safety devices?

Ok three questions.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 06:55:19 PM »
Breck, maybe you should stop talking and start building before people get tired of you. Especially when you make those sorts of totally ignorant comments.

Pete

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 06:58:41 PM »
PJ, I agree
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 07:31:03 PM »
We were there for the Shootout of '09 (and, for that matter, of '08 and of '10, and probably will be for '11, etc.)

Curt said that since he was on a record return run he was anxious to get the car moving so gave it a bit extra throttle.  The Duramax is turbo-ed, of course, and the boost came on quite suddenly - and that's why he spun.  He was all but laughing when he got back to the start for another try.  One reason he was in a hurry was the one-hour clock was running and the team had very little time to spare.  As I remember he did qualify for a record there -- I think.

As for the canopy opening, as far as I can remember the latch opened because of the side winds (so to speak) when he was going around.  The breeze pushed the latching device stuff far enough sideways that bingo -- it was opened.  But it was, indeed, latched before he got pushed off.  Neither Lynn nor Mike Cook would have missed checking that before starting.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Breck

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 07:44:09 PM »
I meant no offence.

Sorry

Offline dw230

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 08:18:32 PM »
Probally should get a program so you can tell the players. Remind us again how fast your car is.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 08:57:54 PM »
I can't believe I've been so good!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 09:11:09 PM »
Not tryin to start something here, but does this guy sound a little like "Propster" puttin us on.

Rick

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 09:34:38 PM »
Naw, Stan don't sound like old FR.  :evil:
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 09:46:01 PM »
We were there for the Shootout of '09 (and, for that matter, of '08 and of '10, and probably will be for '11, etc.)

Curt said that since he was on a record return run he was anxious to get the car moving so gave it a bit extra throttle.  The Duramax is turbo-ed, of course, and the boost came on quite suddenly - and that's why he spun.  He was all but laughing when he got back to the start for another try.  One reason he was in a hurry was the one-hour clock was running and the team had very little time to spare.  As I remember he did qualify for a record there -- I think.

As for the canopy opening, as far as I can remember the latch opened because of the side winds (so to speak) when he was going around.  The breeze pushed the latching device stuff far enough sideways that bingo -- it was opened.  But it was, indeed, latched before he got pushed off.  Neither Lynn nor Mike Cook would have missed checking that before starting.

SSS - you're right about the turbo lighting and catching Curtis off guard.  The photos show the qualifying run before the spin.  You can see virtually no diesel smoke from the exhaust as he starts off.  But less than 5 seconds later, when it spools up, things turn black as coal. 

You're also right about the canopy.  It was a wind thing that caught 'em completely by surprise.  Curtis is a great driver and I hope to see him back on the salt soon.

Offline Steve Cole

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 09:51:03 PM »
I was there and part of the Mormon Missile team for that very run. That was the turn around run and we were very tight on time. It did get pushed back and restarted in time and we set the FIA record for "B" DS at 347.76.

Offline MC 1314

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 09:54:13 PM »
Rick, kinda sounded that way to me. Trolls have been known to frequent boards such as this one.
It's just a case of too soon old and too late smart. Will Penny

Offline dw230

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 10:03:42 AM »
I will give the benefit of doubt as to being a troll. Just a new guy trying to be funny and performed an epic fail.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth