Author Topic: The Mormon Missile Streamliner  (Read 12099 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: The Mormon Missile Streamliner
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 11:52:37 AM »
When the want to, comes to the start line on a back up run is very, no,  VERY VERY easy to let them become the GOT To!!!

Then there might just possibility be an ever so slight disconnect between the brain and the throttle!!!!!!! lol

From one who has overdriven the course in search of an elusive RED Hat

Here's to getting to go visit the Mayor the second time in 24 hours!!  :cheers:  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 12:53:44 PM »
  I may hold the record for the earliest (and my only, thank God) spin back in 2005, I think.
  It was the first time I put Nitro in my early Olds, and even though it was only 20%, it caught me by suprise when I pulled away from the push truck.
  I was running a spool rear end at the time, and the Olds had maximum torque at 3500 rpm.  
  First the rear end swung to the right, and when I lifted, it came back straight and kept on going around for what had to be the slowest spin in History.
  I remember thinking "so this is what it's like"........).  I got a great view of all the mountains and the starting line and my push truck going by..................
  There is a video of it someplace on the internet titled "Studebaker gets a little loose..."
  Hell, I was going so slow that my sphincter never even puckered.................    Bob :-o
Bob Drury

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 02:04:13 PM »
Bob,  it sorta like the Pilots say about gear up landings--

-There is them that has   :-o 
-Then theres them that GONA  :evil:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2011, 08:24:38 PM »
Breck, Im with you. :-D  That was quick and funny, if the driver can laugh at his mistake then everyone on this board should be able to as well.   :cheers:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 10:40:45 AM »
I agree Breck, I'm sure that was a moment of 'OH CRAP' followed by a whole lot of funny, with crew members pointing out which way the course was going & the like. There is normally more laughing & joking going on with us than most other racers & we don't usually get our nickers in a knot. Being a member of the spin club is kind of a tong in cheek thing, it can have some serious consequences at speed & that's what likely sparked off the 5star generals.
If there was 'ever' a place to get in the spin club with a liner, that was it right there.  Sid.

Offline Dmax65

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 11:36:14 AM »
That was a serious oh crap moment!!! When I started laying into the throttle to come off the truck, the boost started coming on instantly because the turbos were still hot from the first run. The salt was real thin on that end of the course and as soon as power came on the tires broke through and it was over. The boys pushed me back and with less than 5 minutes left in our window we were off again. This time I short shifted to second right away and lugged it through to the first mile marker where we actually had to drive off the course to get around a big gap on the course caused by the underground river. The clutch broke on the 4-5 shift and piled up half of one disc on the other side which caused a terrible shake at over 300. But we did complete our run with under a minute left and got our new FIA World Record at 341.360 in the kilo and 341.167 in the mile. A once in a lifetime day.
Curtis

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 11:39:29 AM »
 :cheers:

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 07:51:59 PM »
I think Breck is a red head, cause red heads have that effect on people.  Even after we are old and gray, once a red headed step child, always a red headed step child.  :-P   
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 09:24:06 PM »
now that's a woo hoop story and a way to set a record. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 10:38:13 PM »
Hey Curtis...
This time I short shifted to second right away and lugged it through to the first mile marker where we actually had to drive off the course to get around a big gap on the course caused by the underground river. The clutch broke on the 4-5 shift and piled up half of one disc on the other side which caused a terrible shake at over 300.

This was at the Temple of Doom yeah?...... Congrats on the record, great story ,great humility.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 11:13:39 PM »
Definetly congrats on the record. :)

As for the record for earliest spin, I believe that is held by the T bird that was at SW last year, started to spin as they passed the "0".

Not that I can knock them for it, there but the grace of god and all (as I understand it the driver was excited and forgot to let off the brakes when the truck started to push, sounds like something I should keep in mind, so I don't do it).
Just happy to be here. :-D

Erik

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 01:45:07 AM »
Holy Schmoly!  I'm always amazed to see long narrow cars spin out (and not go over).  Pretty crazy.

I think the quickest spin (soonest to occur off the line) at El Mirage goes to Kevin LeFevers.  At some point in our short 2010 season he got on it reeeeal hard and it got away from him not more than a hundred feet off the line.  He was actually able to react quick enough to pull the chute even though he was maybe only going 70 or 80 mph.  Needless to say I was really impressed that that his first instinct was to get the chute out.  Sign of a well taught driver that is really in tune with his vehicle.

His spin happened right in front of my rookie class too.  Oh man, the looks on their faces!  Priceless!
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2011, 07:42:47 AM »
want to :-o

they are what keeps us going for it  :cheers:

Offline dw230

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2011, 01:16:26 PM »
Nathan,

I have one in a shorter distance than that. One of Mark's El Mirage videos has Dale Martin sitting on his bike at the starting line, and he just falls over - like that guy on the trike on the old Laugh In tv show.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2011, 03:20:57 PM »
DW, I have that video, funny. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah