Author Topic: Ashes to Salt  (Read 3608 times)

Offline Steve Walters

Ashes to Salt
« on: March 27, 2011, 12:20:40 PM »
I know this might be a touchy subject to to post, but I have never seen it discussed on the site before.

Last year when taking down the tech tent after World of Speed, the sun went down behind the mountains, and a pink glow emanated from the salt and sky, it was totally silent, and a reverent feeling came over me.  I've only experience the feeling twice before and they were both at the Viet Nam memorial wall.  Since then I have thought about the movie Bonneville, where the ashes of a women's husband were accidentally on purpose scattered on the salt. 

I know that this happens because more than once a team has told me they were going to load the ashes of a past racer into the chute and pop them at speed.  I'm sure it is illegal, in Idaho you have to be thrown out of an airplane, don't know which lobby came up with that law.  I will post more about my thoughts, after I see the responses. :|

Steve     
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Ashes to Salt
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
Steve, I don't know if there are specific rules to which adherence is required - to spread someone's ashes on the salt -- but I've been at Bonneville when it has been done.  Usually there is some notice, such as the tower announcing the vehicle, as usual, and then adding that "Racer So-and-So" is also taking his last ride on the salt".  At that point it was common to see more than a few hats doffed by folks at the line -- their last show of respect to a racer that's gone to the long course in the sky, where each run is a qualifier and nobody ever has been hurt when spinning.

I've gone so far as to do some minor asking about -- to see if the "ashes to salt" memorial could be used for someone close to me -- such as me. 

But as for rules, be they BLM or sanctioning body imposed -- I don't know.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 12:43:01 PM »
Thanks Jon,

I was  :| going to have mine thrown out of a plane on Mount Putman, a mountain that shadows the city I live in.  If the wind is coming out of the North the ashes might end up on Kiwi Sid's shop.  :cheers:

Steve

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 12:48:02 PM »
That's ok mate, you'd be welcome. I have packed a few at the salt over the years, the most prominent being Gray Baskerville.
  Sid.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 01:09:14 PM »
I'm thinking higher! My last shot at astronaut status!  :cheers:

http://www.spaceservicesinc.com/MemorialSpaceflights/manifest.asp
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Tman

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 01:30:38 PM »
BLM, Forest Service and other entities do tend to frown on this. But, what they don't know can't hurt em. There is a certain peak in the Hills I have always said I wanted to be scattered off.

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 02:05:20 PM »
In 69 aboard the USS Sacramento we were casting the ashes of an Admiral that had been past for thirty years into the pacific.  I was part of the 21 gun solute, we practiced the ceremony for a week.  It was the Chaplin's first burial at sea, he wanted it to go off perfect.  We were wearing our dress whites.  The admirals widow was there, and when the Chaplin tipped the urn over the side of the fan tail the ashes swirlled up into the air and came back down on all of us, the widow didn't cry but the Chaplin did.

Steve     

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 04:00:21 PM »
If enough of us 1960 Baby Boomers did this, Intrepid wouldn't have to process as musch salt, because of the higher concentration of pot ash.  :-D

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline John Burk

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 04:56:16 PM »
I have a hot air balloon that I used to fly . One evening several of us flew and my friend had a passenger who brought her father's ashes to drop during the flight . She dumped them at the wrong time while they were descending and like with the Admiral's ceremony everybody in the basket got ashed .

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 07:26:25 PM »
  The Dude Abides..........................................   :-o
Bob Drury

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 07:48:47 PM »
Wha........................... :?

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 11:00:09 PM »
  The Big Lebowski.  One of the classic film's of all time.
  Oh, and one more thing, why not let sleeping dog's lie.  Why bring up something that can only have negative results?
  LET'S MOVE ON..................................
Bob Drury