Author Topic: new guy with a frame question  (Read 3228 times)

Offline roversam

• New folks
new guy with a frame question
« on: March 15, 2011, 01:13:36 AM »
i am going to start out by saying i am just going for a time slip i realy dont plan on setting any records with what i wan to build my goal is just to go 200plus mph. i plan on building a hand bilt 1934 chevy roadster like pickup on top of an 1928 model a frame that i have. its not going to be a "RAT ROD" its going to be a full blow diven hot rod that i want to build to run as well. My question is that i want to z the front frame rails and step the back of the frame up to get the truck lower to the ground without sinking the body over the frame. is this something that i am going to be red flaged on or is it ok if i leave all the welds unground and fishplate all the joints?

Sam

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
Re: new guy with a frame question
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 07:12:25 AM »
leave all the welds ungrounded and fishplate all the joints?

This is a good plan. If you have any other fabrication questions, you can reach me in my shop daily at 302.378.3013.
Joe
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 03:14:25 PM »
Rover, Joe is da man. be prepared to take notes cause Joe sure can give up the info and advise. He's helped me a lot in the transition from drag to land speed because they ain't the same. good luck with your build.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline fastman614

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 09:11:54 PM »
i am going to start out by saying i am just going for a time slip i realy dont plan on setting any records with what i wan to build my goal is just to go 200plus mph. i plan on building a hand bilt 1934 chevy roadster like pickup on top of an 1928 model a frame that i have. its not going to be a "RAT ROD" its going to be a full blow diven hot rod that i want to build to run as well. My question is that i want to z the front frame rails and step the back of the frame up to get the truck lower to the ground without sinking the body over the frame. is this something that i am going to be red flaged on or is it ok if i leave all the welds unground and fishplate all the joints?

Sam

The rules for roadster classes are that any type of frame may be used....street roadster however, does specify no multi tube type frames though.... think funny car or dragster style type "truss" frame sections here.... class legality is IN FACT only an issue if you set the record..... now, having said that, I have seen many people over the years show up at Bonneville and tell us that they "only want to get a timing slip or brass plaque of such ans such a speed"..... my question is (while looking at the twin turbo Ford small block (watch me on video-Salt Flat Speedway to Dr. Mayf)  ... what are you going to to when you achieve that speed- pack up and go home?... this land speed racing has a way of getting you "hooked".... keep that in mind......

I will also say that your idea has merit... and yes, fishplating, gussetting, boxing the inner sides (of channel frames) are all good ideas.... look at using diagonals from your cage support to the area ahead of the "z" in the frame as well.

I was just reminded of my ill fated Bantam roadster project from the very early 1980s that I built a rectangular tubed frame that gave the car a very low stance.... the project NEVER got finished as I was going to have to cut the little stock fenders off to be legal in gas roadster.... I did not want to build a Street Roadster.... the body, part of the frame and the rolling chassis components are still on "display" in my shop.... I had also figured out back then as to how to permanently construct a cage structure into the body and have a removable competition structure to bolt into the car because I wanted the car to also be street legal and driveable in its other incarnation.

Just make sure you have a current rule book which you read MANY times, a note pad and pen/pencil, and WHEN questions arise, write them down and ask.... send them to the SCTA-BNI tech people and post them on here as well..... lots of us on here will try to help you out.

Have fun and good luck!
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline roversam

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 12:30:25 AM »
the only resion why i dont feel that i can go after a record is that i have to build this roadster pickup larger then it was or would have been from the factory for i am a bigger guy (6'3" 310lbs) and i just dont fit. saying this the way i read the rules is that it had to be a stock body with small mods, so since i am building everything from the fire wall back to fit me i just dont think this will work. i may be wroung and i hope i am but if i am not i realy just want to go for my goal of 200+ mph and this does not mean i will stop there but will just keep going to beat my best time.

Sam

Offline fastman614

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 06:16:14 AM »
Okay, I gotcha.... if it is going to be a street rod, it is not, by any means, a lost cause... I just wish I got mine done a long time ago... but other racecars and life itself got in the way.

And, of course, if and when you get bitten by this stuff, you can always build something else.... al akester or a purpose built roadster where you are allowed to set yourself back to the rear axle centerline etc.... I know that my present lakester has been driven by my nephew who is 6' 4" tall... and it was not a hard car to accomodate him.

Like I said earlier though, legality is only a requirement at record certification time....

have fun and good luck.... and do post pics and info on here too!
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.