Author Topic: Speed Week 2011 dates  (Read 11243 times)

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
Re: Speed Week 2011 dates
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 12:28:56 PM »
Thanks guys! I guess I'll just hope all goes well, and see how the rest plays out.

I've searched, but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for- Is there a thread, that would explain the process to new guys? I mean, what to bring to tech( tools, jacks, etc.)? Leave bellypan on, or take it off? Things of this nature, so that we can be properly prepared?

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 12:59:07 PM »
Bring your car ready to race, on the ground, with all your safety equipment, your logbook, and a good attitude, that goes a long way.

a key that worked for me was to grab the Inspectors Tech Inspection Form from the SCTA-BNI website.

http://www.scta-bni.org/pdf/CAR%20ENTRY%20FORM%202009%20-%20BACK%20SIDE%20.pdf

at the beginning of each line is the section of the Rulebook that applies to that line example 1.A Vehicle and Driver present in Race Ready condition.

I inspected my Truck per the sheet, and documented anything that wasn't obvious like 2.E Safety Hubs/No C-Clips I referenced the Rear End tech manual where it indicated I had captive bearings on my axles.

Saved having to pop open my diff.

It doesn't guarantee a incident free excursion thru Tech but it will certainly minimize any BIG surprises.  

and last is a small treatise written by Dan somebody  :-D a while back on the USFRA Web site about tech inspection

http://www.saltflats.com/Tech%20articles.html

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 01:05:15 PM by LSR Mike »
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 01:37:29 PM »

Thanks Mike!

I'll follow your advice.

I really appreciate all the help and guidance we have received on this board! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline dw230

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 02:47:25 PM »
Mike,

If you were referring to me I can't take credit for the article. That, and others on www.saltflats.com, are written by Dan Wright of the USFRA. Dan has a ton of experience and is able to communicate this to the masses very well.

It would benefit everyone to look at his articles agian, or if you are new take the time to check them out.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 04:24:37 PM »
I always thought it was you, Dan Warner, but yeah, your impound, not tech. my bad.
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline Face

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 03:47:41 PM »
Hope this isn't a dumb question everyone......but....is Tech ONLY on the 11th and 12th ???  Or is Tech open all week long ???

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 03:55:18 PM »
Tech is open all week
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Face

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 04:00:40 PM »
Thanks Glen !   

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 05:19:52 PM »
Here's a little info for you, There is a small RV park being built next to the parking lot that use to be the RV park at the Nugget.  They are making good progress, but I'm not sure who owns it....the RV park was turned into a parking lot with a trucker's lounge behind the R Place gas station.  It could be they are the ones that are putting in the RV park.  I haven't been out to Land's End for awhile, but I plan on going out there Tuesday to have a lookysee.  I'll letcha know how it looks, should still be under water!  :-D

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2011, 06:29:53 PM »
Lynda, I am a bit cornfused by your description of what I think is a pair of RV parks.  The one next to the Nugget was being built last year.  As for one behind "R Place" -- well, isn't that the same one?  I don't know the name of the C-store/gas station, but I do think I recall that it's a Shell gas station, sorta kinda kitty-corner from the Quality Inn and right next door to the Subway, right? 

So - one new park - or two?

Thanks.  Have fun at Land's End, but don't venture out into the salty water.  I hear it's hard on the car's parts.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2011, 05:08:26 PM »
Jon,

Sorry for the confusion, only 1 new RV park.  The guy that owns Subway bought all that land (old RV park for Nugget) and built a trucker's lounge with parking for trucks.  At the South end of that parking lot, by Painless Pete's dental office, is a VERY small RV park that is being built.  The guy that owns Subway also owns the Chevron (R place).  It looks like there is only going to be about 20 spaces...see, teeny tiny!  Oh, they did put in a Taco Bell...or maybe it was a Taco Time  :roll:  in the gas station.  CRS is really active today. 
We've got some more storms coming in, so I might not get out to Land's End as planned, will have to wait and see, but I'll let everyone know what it looks like out there as soon as I can go lookysee!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2011, 05:38:40 PM »
Well -- parking and an RV court -- in Utah.  How pleasant -- might be at lower rates than the stuff in Nevada.  Close to find food, that's for sure.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2011, 07:13:45 PM »
We eat at the Subway a lot. Hope they have the :? AC fixed this year
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 12:53:13 PM »
I just got an email from JoAnn (Carlson, the SCTA secretary).  Ready for a big event, folks?

487 pre-entries!!! :cheers:

Now let's all hope that the weather is good from now 'til SpeedWeek -- so we can use all of the salt for multiple courses.

See you on the salt!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com