Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097172 times)

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
Re: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank
« Reply #2520 on: June 01, 2018, 10:24:02 AM »
This has been discussed before  I think  but

I am unhappy with the weather strip tape that I have for a canopy seal.

Is there some gasket in a tube that does not cure as hard as the ultra seal type?

Sparky, take look at high temp door seals. They are easy to mount and generally made of Nomex.

https://www.amazon.com/LAVALOCK-Nomex-Grilling-smoker-gasket/dp/B01GLQ0L3C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1527862891&sr=8-2&keywords=high+temp+door+seal

John

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2521 on: June 06, 2018, 12:38:49 AM »
Getting closer to Salt Flat time---sure hope we have one this year--
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2522 on: June 08, 2018, 11:41:33 AM »
Marty finished welding the header fairings
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline JR529

« Reply #2523 on: June 08, 2018, 04:00:09 PM »
Just make sure all of those header fairings are inside the inner plane of the rear wheels or you could get tossed into streamliner because of it. There was a belly tank Lakester that had its record pulled at El Mirage a few years back because a fairing at the front of the car was a tiny bit too wide. It appeared fine and was inside the front wheel plane but the rear track was a tiny bit narrower than the front track.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2524 on: June 08, 2018, 05:58:08 PM »
Thanks  we will go look again

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #2525 on: June 09, 2018, 03:16:51 PM »
JR529,
Thanks for that info, my son and I are adding some aero appendages to the axles on our lakester this year and I will make sure that we check which axle has the narrowest inter wheel dimension. We have plenty of flexibility in the rear but not in the front. Thanks again!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2526 on: June 09, 2018, 09:47:44 PM »
That is in the rule book but I know of a couple of lakesters that have tripped over that one with a front to rear track difference.
  Sid.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2527 on: June 09, 2018, 10:42:17 PM »
Sparky, having bodywork outside the line won't put you in streamliner, but it will make your lakester illegal.  Pipes past are OK... streamlining bodywork around those pipes... not so much....
Sawsall fixes everything... if required  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2528 on: June 09, 2018, 11:01:53 PM »
Thanks  we will go look again

If I remember right all of that is inside the wheelbase, front and back,

Sumner

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2529 on: June 10, 2018, 10:39:43 AM »
sawsall not required not cut off wheel

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2530 on: June 10, 2018, 10:58:42 AM »
205  got the seal in will try fitting some today

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2531 on: July 15, 2018, 01:36:02 PM »
Going back together---hooking up things to see if they work  :?  Rear axel is in with diff fluid.  will be putting things back together on all electrical curcits.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2532 on: July 21, 2018, 02:03:07 AM »
Francis came up today and brought goodies

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #2533 on: July 21, 2018, 11:57:38 PM »
Looking good. Is the wood temporary?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2534 on: July 22, 2018, 12:17:55 AM »
Not if they work and stand up--Lots of the wood has doublers through bolted and bridging across the open part that will have a cover