Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097414 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank
« Reply #2490 on: March 22, 2018, 12:12:44 AM »
by using the very heavy wall tubing we were able to weld the Ford axle bearing housing both inside and outside  overkill you bet but --maybe their will not be any comments about my wimpy axles as in the past.  Seems like not everyone like the GM 7.5..  Also if we get a decent track to run on we my want to put a wing on it someday.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 12:35:50 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2491 on: March 22, 2018, 02:08:43 AM »
Lookin' good and tough Sparky!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2492 on: March 22, 2018, 07:59:19 AM »
Putting a wing on it would be like running with the highspeed out Sparky! :-D
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2493 on: March 22, 2018, 10:10:54 AM »
I am with you Sid but we may try for stupid power if my kid gets hooked
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2494 on: March 22, 2018, 09:04:27 PM »
Al Eshenbaugh made my new wide track front axle  54" to the kingpin centers---this is also HD so that I can later put brakes on it without wishbones   2"x.375 wall   with mounting brackets out of 3/8" angle This gets the tires so that they are outside of the rear tires innermost plane---so that we can fair the rear axle.

Al made a jig using a early Ford axle determine the camber angle.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 09:08:37 PM by SPARKY »

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #2495 on: March 23, 2018, 01:26:49 PM »
Looking good Sparky! The axle is "perfect"! good diameter and enough wall thickness that radius rods are not needed. Makes it easy to make a wing shape to go over it also. Same goes for your rear axle assembly. Those Goodyears look great on your wheels also!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2496 on: March 23, 2018, 03:24:56 PM »
If Goodyear hadn't given us $!!it information they would have been a good bit narrower for better crowning!!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2497 on: March 26, 2018, 01:20:12 AM »
got to get really busy now---  paid for the July test and tune today!!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2498 on: April 16, 2018, 11:44:16 AM »
The 8.8 housing was much easier to fit in the frame than the Caddy 10-12 it is now centered and parallel to the front  Will work on height and pitch today then finish mounting.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2499 on: April 18, 2018, 11:46:25 AM »
Sumner came over yesterday and we finished the bracket and multiple times verified the alignment before hard tacking the housing and brackets.  Today we start the new body panels  :-D :-D

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2500 on: April 21, 2018, 12:03:26 AM »
Sumner, Francis and I had a great day in the shop will soon have picts of all the slicing and dicing we did on the body pannels

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2501 on: April 23, 2018, 12:40:28 AM »
Ahhhh the dreaded sheet metal work

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2502 on: May 04, 2018, 10:38:29 AM »
I must be working more carefully I do not have as many cuts and scratches as normal---surely not getting better almost finished with the transmission bay  and have not quite decided how to modify the eng bay panels to make them easier to get on and off.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2503 on: May 04, 2018, 11:02:13 AM »
Jeez Mate, you're werkin so hard ya might be runnin outa blood!! :-P.... :-D I made a test cut last night to make sure I was good.
  Sid.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #2504 on: May 04, 2018, 01:47:04 PM »
It's kind of like "feeding your hammer" after I work in the shop for a week or two I need to take a couple of days off to heal!!! Beats the $hit out of golf!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.