Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097330 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank
« Reply #2460 on: July 22, 2017, 02:59:01 PM »
Corrected 8/10/2017

Liberty clutchless  air shifted 5 speed 

The best way I have come up with to explain how this works

It has a what Liberty calls a toggle-- lets you select one of two circuits.

1st gear/Upshift circuit---disables neutral circuit and put the trans in 1st gear has 4 sequential shifts for  2nd 3rd 4th 5th gear and one that puts puts the tranny into neutral a upshift circuit out of gear.

Neutral circuit disables upshift circuit and enables a reverse gear shift.

I will know more soon as we start trying this stuff.

The 1350 yoke that I finally found for the Caddy 10/12 with 2.28 gears

The alignment tool for the big Ford 10 spline input shaft we chose--we had to make a bushing to get it up to .670 diam.

We for got to mention the GV on the back---that is what makes the whole thing 1 Meter

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 01:52:52 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2461 on: July 22, 2017, 03:24:09 PM »
That sure does have a lot of sparky plug wires! :-D
  Sid.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2462 on: July 22, 2017, 04:06:21 PM »
One neat trick that Sparky is doing, is using the gear vendors as the first shift.  The car will take off in first and then the first shift will be the gear vendors resulting in a 22% drop between 1st to the gear vendors shift (we will call this second gear).  After that the transmission alone will be used for the remaining shifts with the gear vendors left in overdrive.

This will allow all the shifts to be smaller and smaller drops with the last being about 9% between 5th and 6th (5 transmission ratios and the one gear vendors for 6 speeds).  Most would use the gear vendors as the last shift but then you would have a 22% drop and one that large wouldn't be good at that point in the run.

The gear vendors is locked in at a 22% reduction.  All the other gears in the transmission can be set at about any ratio desired, which allows progressive smaller and smaller drops in rpm's with each subsequent shift.

How he is going to manage the clutch to cut down on drive-line shock is another whole topic  :wink:.

Sumner
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 04:08:31 PM by Sumner »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2463 on: July 22, 2017, 04:57:58 PM »
That will have to wait for me to get the AC in the shop fixed between the heat and the humidity it is brutal out there right now---then Francis can bring his part up and we can start marrying the air over hyd. clutch system---my job in the next few days is to get this "COMBO" place in the chassis determined
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2464 on: July 23, 2017, 12:01:24 AM »
That's a setup!!!!!.
Big $$$$$ Sparky?. :cheers:

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #2465 on: July 23, 2017, 12:04:33 AM »
... That sure does have a lot of sparky plug wires!...
Aren't they mostly air lines?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2466 on: July 23, 2017, 07:34:28 AM »
JG that's Sid for you --- but Sid, you have to be able to fire those cyls at just the right time. 

Mike  oldest son is the owner of that Liberty Trans. the GV was a used one I bought off a RV and have had for almost 20 years now.  Sent it back to GV had it converted to free wheel which also kills reverse

Also we get 6 speeds for 1/2 price of 7 speed and have a clutch to absorb some of the shock on each end. 
We should be able to control the clutch clamp at time of up shift with our air over hyd. setup. We are planning on shifting the trans with about 450#' instead of full at around 1350#'.

That way we think we can run our little 7.5 GM with 2.14 gears if we have to get to higher speeds.  I have heard there are some 2.14 12 bolt gear sets in shakyland.  Marty and I are working on putting a set of 2.28 Caddy gears on a Summers Brothers 2 series Spool John Burk furnished me, thanks John we are finally going to try to use that thing.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 08:15:23 AM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2467 on: July 23, 2017, 07:56:50 PM »
I think I must have had a mental block about what  A P I T A   aligning one of these super short drivetrains is!!!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2468 on: August 07, 2017, 11:43:44 PM »
Bracket racing ---just been bracket racing but getting there  Francis is coming up Wed if all goes well..

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2469 on: August 10, 2017, 02:04:02 PM »
Francis came up yesterday and we had a great day of bracket racing.

he brought up the air intake that looks like a small cannon we worked on the final resting place of it and he made notes on the scoop and on paper,

He brought the air clutch and we figured out where to mount it and we also worked out a place to put the air logic system.  Next I will mount the CO2 tank and route the lines to the cockpit for the Liberty Trans toggle as well as the push button for the clutch/up shift activator

Several more days of bracket racing and then pull the mock up and put all the accs. on the real lump.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2470 on: August 14, 2017, 12:07:17 AM »
Bracket racing---all day

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2471 on: August 27, 2017, 12:28:25 AM »
Francis Came up today and we had a great day---he has been such a help with lots and lots of detail fabrication work on the air scoop carb linkage and stuff---his buddy John is handling all of the TIG welding right now.  We pulled the mock up stuff out of the chassis  and we will be marrying the new eng and trans after I make a few more brackets and such. If we have a track we will try to make the WF.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2472 on: September 01, 2017, 08:36:50 AM »
Worked on adjusting the new clutch and getting it finalized and got he new trans mount fabricated using a 55 Chey front motor mount .hockey puck

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2473 on: September 01, 2017, 05:19:12 PM »
If there's a puck involved it can only go well for you.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2474 on: September 06, 2017, 03:34:42 PM »
Getting close to starting back end with all this stuff!!!