Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097406 times)

Offline Jack Gifford

Re: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank
« Reply #2415 on: May 15, 2017, 01:21:39 AM »
I believe the semiconductor tach I've got in my daily-driver '67 Falcon is an Electro-Voice, sold under the Dixson name; need to look at it tomorrow.

I used to wonder how J.Otto Crocker came up with his famous timers that were accurate to .001 seconds, to use in-the-middle-of-nowhere, such as Bonneville. Finally located the answer in an old Hot Rod Magazine article- back in 1934 he perfected his scheme of using a tuning fork as the time base. [I have to assume the fork was in an evacuated container to eliminate varying air density concerns?]
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 01:32:27 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2416 on: May 24, 2017, 12:16:44 AM »
looks like we are getting there with the computer eng. building program--have been able to move the power band up some have a pretty flat power curve between 7-8  now if we can just keep it together!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2417 on: May 24, 2017, 01:47:34 AM »
Be positive. :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2418 on: May 27, 2017, 01:22:02 PM »
 :-D  Trans has been shipped  :-D

Francis came up yesterday and we spent several hours designing a new hood scoop after spending hours reading John Burks and Tom Burkland's formulas on Sums LSR Pages..  We also looked and watched viedos on others web sites aver the last few days. WE then ordered  an adaptable pro stock type scoop that will be the basis for our center section over the carbs.  The front and back will get whopped and chopped --reshaped and re-glassed for a LSR style snorkel scoop.  The front inlet is an alum. 4" $29.00 E-Bay Turbo inlet velocity stack--  will be interesting if we can make this thing look and function as well as we hope
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 09:34:11 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2419 on: May 27, 2017, 06:08:37 PM »
Also Francis brought up the push button air/hyd.  clutch mech. ---80 % done-- We keep working to get it simpler, which should lead to more reliability---no picts yet but it has 2 3" air cyl. with a 2"stroke it has one to shift and one to hold completely disenguaged.  We will be using a 3/4" bore X 1.3 stroke Wilwood master cyl. with a McLeod hyd throw out bearing.  Francis has much better art skills than I.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 09:32:49 AM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2420 on: May 27, 2017, 06:16:12 PM »
wiring

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2421 on: May 28, 2017, 06:24:21 PM »
ordered 2 Chi-Com Motorcycle Gear shift counters off ebay for $35.00  so we can keep up with where we are maybe--- :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2422 on: May 30, 2017, 10:08:02 AM »
Ordered an air bladder to put under the middle of the car while trailering it.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2423 on: May 31, 2017, 12:32:05 PM »
Cut the tubes of the Ford Pu 8.7 housing the ID is slightly less that 3"  so we should be able to slightly turn down 3" Heavy wall tubing and build to the correct tube length for the 33" spline axles we have---this is going to be one heavy 8.8  2.26 geared  True Track axle

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2424 on: May 31, 2017, 07:02:46 PM »
Don't just assume your axle is straight Sparky, check it before you weld it then again after.
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2425 on: May 31, 2017, 07:20:35 PM »
Sid thanks for the reminder---that sure has been a problem with these "American Axels" formerly GM

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2426 on: June 01, 2017, 05:32:54 PM »
 :-D  yeah the Trans is at Gear Vendors (only) one month late---hopefully they can make the adaptor in a timely manor!!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2427 on: June 05, 2017, 01:17:05 PM »
Sid you were correct---just because these 8.8" American axels are under a Ford doesn't mean they are any straighter  just like the Camaro 7.5"  one side is pretty straight the other isn't.  :cry: we will correct as best we can.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #2428 on: June 05, 2017, 01:42:32 PM »
Sparky,
I have straighten several axle assemblies using the welding method, make a fairly heavy weld pass the opposite side of the high point and then cool with lots of wet rags. I am pretty sure that this is your method also. If the bend is to large to do this way you can cut a slot on the opposite side and then weld the slot closed, this make a pretty big change. Another is to clamp the axle to a strong weld table with a jack of some sort pushing against the bend and then heat the opposite side and quench. I would guess I am talking to the choir here but I have used all of these methods with good success.

Looking forward to seeing you at the salt!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2429 on: June 05, 2017, 04:32:34 PM »
Oval track guys use those methods all the time. You don't actually have to use the weld bead. A torch with a large tip can heat a spot fairly quickly and that spot always shrinks more than it expands.

Pete