Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097424 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank
« Reply #2400 on: April 30, 2017, 04:15:03 PM »
The mention of shift lights brings back a bike I was teching a few years back.  It was a Brit guy, I remember, and when I asked him why he two shift lights on the bike he pointed to one of them - different color, different size - he said "That's one's a DON'T SHIFT ANY MORE!!" light.

You car guys might take something from those of us that don't have gear indicators so we know when we're in top gear.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2401 on: April 30, 2017, 08:26:57 PM »
Don't do it again light ---because if you punch the air shifter one too many times it goes  neutral   :roll:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2402 on: May 01, 2017, 09:52:33 AM »
If you max out your RPM in high gear, you are geared wrong!   :evil:
We started using a shift light after the 2012 SpeedWeek... getting Pork Pie to rev the motor high enough was a chore... he had to spend a lot of driving time looking at the the unstable needle on the tach.  Installed a shift light and the problem was solved at the World Finals. 
Of course when the wheels break loose due to a rough course, the light will come on and make you shift a bit early... we still count shifts  :-o
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2403 on: May 01, 2017, 11:26:03 AM »
Francis has found a gauge that can count  we may use it also  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2404 on: May 13, 2017, 12:41:06 PM »
Marty has the 2.26 pinion and is removing the .022 so that we can shim it to where we want it and get the 8.5 pinion to mount in the 8.8 housing then we will start on re-tube part modifying the housing to the correct length and putting the 9" ford ends on it.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #2405 on: May 13, 2017, 01:41:08 PM »
We started using a shift light after the 2012 SpeedWeek... getting Pork Pie to rev the motor high enough was a chore... he had to spend a lot of driving time looking at the the unstable needle on the tach.  Installed a shift light and the problem was solved at the World Finals. 
Of course when the wheels break loose due to a rough course, the light will come on and make you shift a bit early... we still count shifts  :-o

At my age, I start loosing track after a two count.

John

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2406 on: May 13, 2017, 06:31:01 PM »

Maybe that's why a little valve float isn't the worst possible thing, my "seat of pants" meter always tells me when to shift...
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #2407 on: May 13, 2017, 09:18:55 PM »
Hey Doc, most guys start to cringe a little when the motor passes 10000 RPM, sounds pretty wound out... you're sure the valves will float, tag and blow apart.... 'cept ya need to wind it another 3K before you shift.  It does have a rev limiter... and that keeps you from going much past 13K and floating the valves...
Sounds about the same as when you burn a valve... then you have to look at the tach and say shit! it ain't on the limiter. 
If you want to really scare yourself... listen to one of those 600 motors that rev to 16000  :-o  :cheers:
Stainless

Online Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2408 on: May 14, 2017, 12:28:52 AM »
John, Ron Benham had a program to let him know when to pop the 'chute. Put 5 marbles in your mouth. Every time you pass a mile marker you either spit one out or swallow it. When you run out of marbles you hit the 'chute. I'm fairly certain that this could be tailored to fit your shifting needs.  :cheers:
Wayno

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #2409 on: May 14, 2017, 01:47:19 AM »
Hey Doc, most guys start to cringe a little when the motor passes 10000 RPM, sounds pretty wound out... you're sure the valves will float, tag and blow apart.... 'cept ya need to wind it another 3K before you shift.  It does have a rev limiter... and that keeps you from going much past 13K and floating the valves...
Sounds about the same as when you burn a valve... then you have to look at the tach and say Subaru! it ain't on the limiter. 
If you want to really scare yourself... listen to one of those 600 motors that rev to 16000  :-o  :cheers:

I'm not talking about the new motor, our old one flatly refused to go past 6500... 10k is like talking with a straight face about the afterlife
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #2410 on: May 14, 2017, 01:48:07 AM »
And those Honda tachs have a bullf#&$ factor built in....

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2411 on: May 14, 2017, 11:06:06 AM »
Oh boy is that so true about the Susuk's speedo's also--Russ and I sure found out about

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #2412 on: May 14, 2017, 11:50:33 AM »
And those Honda tachs have a bullf#&$ factor built in....
Oh boy is that so true about the Susuk's speedo's also--Russ and I sure found out about

Yes we saw that on the dyno with BJ Burkdoll's truck.... they are built to impress the rider... as is the speedo...
that is why we use the MoTec...  :-D Our old Tach has always had some instability above 10K... no matter the input... the MoTec shift light is accurate
Stainless

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2413 on: May 14, 2017, 12:35:45 PM »
Tangent:  In the late 50s my dad was sales manager at Electro-Voice, and EV once upon a time made tachometers that worked with an inductive pickup.  With each new tach came a little "tuning fork"-like device that was calibrated to wiggle just-so at a specific RPM - and so the tach could be calibrated.

I discovered, for instance, that the bushing bearings in the 47cc go kart engine (which was originally limited to 4,800 rpm) lived for a few weeks of regular 8k runs through the subdivision.  I also discovered what a seized bearing does...or doesn't do.

Hijack over.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2414 on: May 14, 2017, 12:44:12 PM »
Jon;

Electro-Voice made some really fine speakers. The "Patrician" was really awesome.

BTW, radar speed guns are also calibrated with a tuning fork.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ