Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097423 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank
« Reply #2340 on: January 21, 2017, 02:47:47 AM »
The thing the trans guys don't get is that we only run overdrive for a few seconds, we're not pulling a house up the side of a mountain.
With your engine at 7k the Gear Vendor output would be 8540 RPM & was working ok Right? That's a planetary just like the 4L80! If ya can't stand to own a 4L80 then park the Gear Vendor on the back of a 400.
With a 4L80 you can run a converter & a lockup switch & you don't need an ECU, with a 400 you either run a converter or a direct drive, you can't have both.
Don't over think it Mate!
  Sid.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2341 on: January 21, 2017, 07:48:47 AM »
.... That's a planetary just like the 4L80! ....
I was under the impression that it was also the overdrive clutches that might not be up to it. 

The path he hope to take will give him the freedom to pick about any gear ratio splits that he wants with the last ones being less than either the GV or 4L80E,

Sumner

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2342 on: January 21, 2017, 11:49:27 AM »
Well here we go

clutch will be controllable by how much "clamp" we take off it by how far we depress the throw out bearing will not be completely released during the upshift

The first shift will be the Gear Vendor that way we will have a clutch on either end of the trans set up

We will go back to our old Caddy Rear end with 2.28 gears at first until be get the bugs worked out.

The GV has a .78 ratio
 trans ratios:
TR          GV      TR/GV           FDR

1.91                   1.91            4.36
1.91      .78        1.49             3.40
1.52        "          1.18            2.70
1.25         "           .98            2.23
1.11         "           .87            1.98
1.00         "           .78            1.78

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 02:27:19 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2343 on: January 22, 2017, 12:03:25 PM »
What engine combo & RPM are you running Sparky?
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2344 on: January 22, 2017, 01:15:29 PM »
Sid --we are using  an old  427  crank we had, and planning for a couple of 9000 shift points on a couple of them if we have to---do not know just where the power band will be just yet.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #2345 on: January 22, 2017, 10:53:14 PM »
The more I think about it the 4L80e might be a good transmission for you. You will need to upgrade the stock input shaft but other than a descent converter, it should be all you need.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2346 on: January 23, 2017, 09:32:53 AM »
Let's not forget we are talking about a NA motor running with a rather narrow power band going after a record that is in the 300's.  

I think he is on the right track with 6 speeds and diminishing rpm drops on the shifts with about an 8%-10% drop on the last shift and not one that is about 25% on the last one.  Also the 2.48 low first isn't needed for his car, so it isn't an ideal ratio for his car either.  He can also change 4 of the transmission's 5 gears to any ratio he wants.

The 4L80e is a great transmission but if you have the bucks, I think there can be a better choice for some cars.  Just my opinion,

Sumner
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:38:47 AM by Sumner »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2347 on: January 23, 2017, 01:35:06 PM »
Sum is right we are going to run NA for a while  we are shooting for turning over 8000 through the traps with 23.5 dia. tires: 

We are going to have to learn to install and data log a lot of sensors to keep up with all the different RPMs;  eng., input shaft, tail shaft and both wheel speeds.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:39:11 PM by SPARKY »

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2348 on: January 23, 2017, 06:31:00 PM »
Sid --we are using  an old  427  crank we had, and planning for a couple of 9000 shift points on a couple of them if we have to---do not know just where the power band will be just yet.
At nine grand you will have gone from revolutions to revelations with a BBC even with that little crank. Keeping the spark alive up there might be interesting unless you have a crank trigger system but the big thing will be the valve train, it won't like it for long.
To get a stock block to survive you'll need to keep the bore size down so I guess you're building a B engine for gas or fuel?
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2349 on: January 25, 2017, 08:44:28 AM »
Sid,  it is a beat up old dart block that has pan rail repair and 2 sleeves

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2350 on: January 25, 2017, 09:24:34 AM »
Bill, that sounds like a block with a lot of experience....  :-D
We all know there are limits, setting a record before you find them is the tough part  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2351 on: January 25, 2017, 12:24:09 PM »
LOL. "Experienced" parts! Sounds like my Recycleliner.
  Sid.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #2352 on: January 25, 2017, 01:57:53 PM »
     To quote our local Ford dealer when he was working from the A-1 portion of his lot back in the day -  "Used is better than new......, been tried"  :-D

Ed

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2353 on: January 25, 2017, 05:06:41 PM »
Not sure which one of the blocks it is, he has a few  8-), but one of them got him into the 2 and 3 club  :cheers: :cheers:,

Sumner

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2354 on: February 01, 2017, 02:53:28 PM »
Finally  :-D  found me a used Lakewood 8 1/8" bellhousing ---Liberty will modify the bolt pattern for $100.