Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097294 times)

Offline Podunk

Re: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank
« Reply #2325 on: December 18, 2016, 02:38:26 PM »
Jack,
What you have to understand is that in Texan "When your rod gets to close to a gyroscopic action" to prevent it from breaking, you need a flywheel.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2326 on: December 18, 2016, 02:55:31 PM »
yeah something like that---all I know there is a stretched rod bolt a loose  nut in the oil pan---notice a declared the location of the additional loose nut associated with Ms Liberty
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2327 on: December 25, 2016, 12:16:22 PM »
Well the autopsy has be done---the professional supposition--- we had some mild detonation-- we had rod bolts that didn't stretch to specs with the published torque specs allowing the nuts to back off--a transmission that worked its way into neutral causing a sudden high rev no load situation ---wham bam-- no thank you mam-- carnage-- the block is repairable--the heads maybe repairable as well as some destroyed rockers push rods ect ect  we may build a " lisc up eng" out of these and other parts left over---pondering where we go from here, eng wise

We are committed to building a new B'Ville axle by retubing our Camaro housings-- as well as  cleaning up the cockpit. francis and I are working on plans to fair the frt and rear axles.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2328 on: December 31, 2016, 11:55:41 AM »
Well the game plan is coming together---we will build the axle fairings ,modify the hood scoop, retube the center section to make the tubes straight, work on improving the exhaust system and eng cooling system

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #2329 on: December 31, 2016, 12:03:59 PM »
Sparky,  It is all just part of the fun :-o I wish you the best and hope for great salt this coming race season :cheers:

John
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2330 on: December 31, 2016, 01:52:14 PM »
Sparky, unless the rear axle is well and truly bent you should be able to straighten it with heat and cooling. It's a pretty standard procedure with oval track cars. You may want to check on the procedure with one or two of the local late model racers.

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2331 on: December 31, 2016, 02:32:55 PM »
PJ---They were not installed at the factory straight for some reason GM axles are not anywhere close to being plumb or square  we will square up off the carrier brgs

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2332 on: December 31, 2016, 04:11:28 PM »
Yep, they are friggin horrible, most of them seem to have a chunk of toe out. To quote the best racers advice statement "never assume"!
  Sid.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2333 on: December 31, 2016, 07:12:30 PM »
Well luckily that sounds like about 3-4 months work... and you have twice that  :-D

Happy New Beer  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #2334 on: January 05, 2017, 11:21:54 PM »
Sparky,
Did you ever consider a B and J four speed trans? They are really not that expensive.
If you want I can run a simulation for you with each transmission to see what works best. Also, a 4L80 e might be a good choice.
The over drive shift is more discrete than the 2-3 shift that you have with a stock TH400.
Btw, sorry for the log absence from replying to your thread. Tapatalk was giving me major issue over the last year and locked me out of your thread.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2335 on: January 16, 2017, 12:32:35 PM »
Well we are getting a little more informed the more we dig into this clutch thing---haven't made final decisions yet.

Does anyone have any experience with clutch delays, usually called CDV or clutch delay valves?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 05:13:23 PM by SPARKY »

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2336 on: January 16, 2017, 06:14:52 PM »
Is the heat getting to you down there? Cuz you seem to have forgotten the KISS principal!
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2337 on: January 17, 2017, 10:39:40 AM »
Sid this is a feature on lots of production and race cars  I am trying to stay away from electronics just air and hyd. systems for the clutch

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2338 on: January 17, 2017, 02:32:40 PM »
While I'm not you Sparky & can't decide for you, I would just park a 4L80 with a hand full of switches on the back of it. We have a stock 'used' one from a van on the back of a twin turbo Duramax in a street rod that just won't quit! The only thing you would need to look into is that it has ample oiling supply to the center of the overdrive planetary. I would have run one on the back of the KB but I didn't want the front driveline spinning at overdrive RPM so I used a 400 then stepped it up at the pinions.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2339 on: January 20, 2017, 10:11:16 PM »
Sid we are moving into RPM range that the trans guys freak out over