Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097275 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank
« Reply #2175 on: May 23, 2016, 02:52:46 PM »
Nice to see it outside Sparky, looks great M8!
Obviously I haven't been keeping tabs on you, what happened to the turbo setup?
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2176 on: May 24, 2016, 11:42:12 AM »
Sid  I gained a slight bit off sanity and decided to get MS LIBERTY sorted out before trying to run with the hair dryers.  But if we continue to make progress we will most likely install them this winter.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:16:41 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2177 on: May 24, 2016, 11:43:51 AM »
Rich Thanks we did not even pull the camera out---it fact that is the first time I have seen it from side ways!!  :-o   go figure  :-D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:17:28 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2178 on: May 29, 2016, 06:59:28 PM »
Well things are going pretty good. We are in the process of beefing up my 2001 1500HD with the LS 6.0   it came with a non floater with 3.73.  Andy and I pulled this rear end and I am replacing it with a much heavier full floater out of a 2003 2500 HD.  This will provide about 10% more power.  I am also adding a heavy duty trans. and eng. oil coolers that will be mounted behind the cab, with some rube Goldberg ducting to take advantage of the low pressure created behind the cab.  We will be busy getting our 5th wheel systems up to speed.

We will also need to install a puke can for the dry sump tank.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2179 on: May 29, 2016, 08:36:26 PM »
Sparky,
Since you are a "wheels away from the body" guy (which I also think is the best plan for a lakester) maybe you should do something like Rob and Brandon did on their streamliner as you are intending to cover the rear axle to streamline it why not make the axle covers a good aerofoil shape and be able to give it some angle of attack or better yet put a small flap on the rear to set the down force.

Great to hear you ran well.

Rex

If you steamline the axle, you are a "streamliner".

John

If it's inside the inner edge of the wheels you're good to go in "Lakester".
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2180 on: May 30, 2016, 12:02:16 AM »
its inside and under  :-D

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2181 on: June 05, 2016, 11:24:32 PM »
Well we have been busy.. Miss Liberty has a cranky streak. Repairing a head.  A rocker stand pulled its heli coil.. when you port these things there is not much left to hold some serious valve spring pressure.

I out trick smarted myself and I will have to redo the rear brakes.

We have corrected the two things the inspectors wanted us to do before the next meet--neither was in the rule book but made sense from a safety standpoint-- a remote puke tank for the dry-sump tank and redo the vent line out of the fuel cell---happy to comply.

We will be running the PG/GV as a 4 speed:  We now have 2.73 rear gears and 23.5" tires

TR     1st     1st/od  D     D/od

1.76   1.37  1.00    .78

FDR   4.81   3.75   2.73  2.13

We will be trying to run on the record at 6850  shifting at 7500 
should be easier than shifting at 8200.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 11:27:04 PM by SPARKY »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2182 on: June 06, 2016, 12:11:24 AM »
Are you running a stud girdle Sparky? It sure made a difference for me on BBC.

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2183 on: June 06, 2016, 10:30:46 AM »
PJ we are running Jessel shaft rockers on Brodix 2X heads this is not the first time this has happened there are other thread inserts.  We are going to be forced to up date our heads,  They have had their roofs raised to get airflow and we are running on the ragged edge after we went to a Profiler Intake and port matched them---the upside was we picked up nearly 40#'

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2184 on: June 06, 2016, 10:56:58 AM »
What did you do to the rear brakes, Bill?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2185 on: June 06, 2016, 11:06:52 AM »
I reversed the backing plates so the emergency cable holes would not pick up salt---I didn't think that would have any effect but we are having some issues that may be caused by that---just to remove that possibility we are going to change them..

We have everything new on this axle  and I suspect that we just need to wear the brake shoes in until they and the drum have the same radius. We left the slack adjusters on just to be safe---but they shouldn't be working.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #2186 on: June 06, 2016, 11:18:49 AM »
I think the rotation direction is important for drum brakes. There are leading and trailing shoes, the arrangement allows a cam action that amplifies the outward pressure and reduces the pedal effort.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #2187 on: June 06, 2016, 01:35:17 PM »
Adding to what JD said. Generally the front shoe is smaller and a lot of times made out of a different composition. Basically the rear shoe does most of the work. That's why your brakes drum always better forward than in reverse. Which way the backing plates are on should make no difference as long as the shoes are on properly.

Ron

Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2188 on: June 06, 2016, 03:08:44 PM »
If anyone wants to learn how drum brakes work, look up Bendix Duo-servo.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2189 on: June 06, 2016, 04:55:07 PM »
All of the above comments are true { :-D  might just indicate a lesson learned the hard way  :-D}
Thanks Neil