Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097384 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank
« Reply #2115 on: November 04, 2015, 07:08:55 PM »
Sumner came over today and he had a great day and finished up "bobbing the nose"

01  head on
02  head on with part cut off
03  slightly elevated

Thanks Sum

Now Francis will modify the Canopy with a 45 deg. slope wind screen instead of the 10 we have now and we should be able to see much better!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:18:14 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2116 on: November 04, 2015, 07:14:46 PM »
3 more pictures from today....

Sumner

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2117 on: November 09, 2015, 09:52:38 AM »
Looking good guys. :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2118 on: November 23, 2015, 12:27:39 PM »
Francis came up Friday and we marked the front of the canopy and we cut the top piece off and we will be raising it up enough to have a 61/2 inch vertical windscreen that will be sloped back at a 45deg. angle.  Sumner should be over next week we will begin working on 'cleaning up the nose area and then Francis and I will start on the axle fairing,
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2119 on: December 07, 2015, 06:56:43 PM »
We have to get busy if we are going too install a new front axel. build new axel fairings and redo the canopy!!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2120 on: December 07, 2015, 08:53:53 PM »
We have to get busy if we are going too install a new front axel. build new axel fairings and redo the canopy!!

Yep, I agree, maybe I can help with a little of that in a few weeks.  I think put the body work (bondo) on hold until you get the axle fairing mounting figured out,

Sum

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2121 on: December 08, 2015, 07:42:32 AM »
Sparky, I'm blue in the face from holding my breath. :-D

No Pics?????.
There must be something!!!!.

Since the Bonneville problem the forum ain't the same so we live on progress pics
and I'm starved here. :evil:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2122 on: December 08, 2015, 08:12:42 AM »
Guys the canopy is off, Francis came up we whacked the upper part off worked out(we think) the best compromise between aero, ease of construction,  and visibility. Francis now has is down in Tucson.  Hopefully he will post some as he gets going.

My job is to get the axles going I am taking the camber out of the Speedway frt axel and building me a 2.73 12 bolt rear axle for the dirt, so that I can also use the PG/GV set up  for El M.  This will change my FDR from 3.76 in low to 4.80.  We will most likely have to learn how to drive in low but we should come off the truck much better.

One of my next projects will be to get busy airfoiltools.com for some templates for the axle fairings so that I can get done what Sumner is talking about.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #2123 on: December 08, 2015, 09:42:55 AM »
Maybe a dumb question Sparky, but why are ya taking the camber out?
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2124 on: December 08, 2015, 11:16:05 AM »
It presently runs on the outside edge of the Goodyear 21" LSR tires and I suspect that contributes some to its "hunting"  I want to try with the tires flat to slight neg.  not the nearly 5 deg positive it has now.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #2125 on: December 09, 2015, 09:47:25 AM »
Makes a lot more sense now.

Are you just going to whittle the king pin bosses off the ends of the axle and re-position them, or do you have some cool trick up your sleeve?

And for the record, the cockpit area looks bitchin! I like how you guys flattened that area out for a different canopy.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2126 on: December 09, 2015, 11:58:42 AM »
We are exploring several options:

Modifying the existing axle:

Stainless know the guy that makes these things  may just have him make one with leaving the camber out

or making one ourselves without of solid bar for cg reasons

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2127 on: February 17, 2016, 12:16:11 AM »
we dug out one of our 7.5 gem housings---yes it is a gem-- when Marty pushed the tubes out he discovered the axle tube bores are not parallel it has a bunch of neg. camber built in.

I called my buddy Ratcliff and he said that the things were built that way for nearly 20 years some of them were off over 10 degs.

We are going to shorten one good bit and build a rear axle for El M with 2.73 gears so that I will have a 2.13 FDR instead of a 1.66

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2128 on: February 17, 2016, 03:44:57 PM »
You called "Propster"?   :-D :-D :-D :-D :evil:

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #2129 on: February 17, 2016, 06:57:27 PM »
He's active on the Mike Cook's Land Speed Shootout Facebook page: http://hotrodenginetech.com/smokin-the-speed-demon/  :dhorse:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!