Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097619 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank
« Reply #1995 on: April 09, 2015, 08:36:52 PM »
Nice work there Sparky.

Coming along great. :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1996 on: April 10, 2015, 05:39:18 PM »
Well all of this Ms Liberty owes to Mr. Francis!  Thanks again Francis and his buddy John in Tucson who are doing this.

Also he Brought up Ron's Fuel Injection's , in Tucson Az, prototype LS RH side mechanical fuel pump mount kit:

Thanks to all of their efforts there is now a pump drive that will let LS engines have a Mechanical on the RH side of the block

This will make it much easier for Boost registered EFI fuel pressure for turbo applications!   Thanks to Francis and Ron's Fuel injection!!

By the way this is designed to run with the GM LS dist. drive set up so that We will be able to run CLASSIC with a Blow Through Carb .
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 05:45:38 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1997 on: April 10, 2015, 05:46:58 PM »
JEEZ  could I have done a worse job with cluttering the background??
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #1998 on: April 10, 2015, 07:54:47 PM »
Sparky,
While that pump mount may allow a right-side installation, I would be worried about its rigidity, especially in the vertical direction.  There’s not much triangularization in the structure.  By the time you hang a fairly heavy pump and plumbing on it and then get the engine to shaking and vibrating, it looks to me like it is liable to start wandering around--possibly chewing up or throwing the belt--not a good thing for an oil pump to do.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1999 on: April 10, 2015, 08:58:16 PM »
1st it is a fuel pump

I did not show that one bracket has a slight interference fit with a feature on the blocks.  When tightened this is going to become very ridged. it seems that these fuel pumps do vibrate some especially at idle!

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #2000 on: April 10, 2015, 11:03:18 PM »
Sparky,
My mistake, assuming an oil pump.  A fuel pump would be less of a concern.  The interference you noted is not real clear to me but looking again at the side view, if one or both of the struts were a little longer, they could make use of two separated bolts into the block which would go a long ways toward stiffening up the arrangement if it becomes a problem.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2001 on: April 10, 2015, 11:13:55 PM »
the interference fit with the block serves the very same purpose.  I should have stated that these bolts are less than finger tight---they haven't been puled down at all.  I just stuck them in so I could take a picture.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 08:46:44 AM by SPARKY »

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #2002 on: April 11, 2015, 03:41:37 PM »
Sparky,
Is there a reason that the engine pulley shaft is so long? Sure make the pump mount look a bit less than "optimal". Kind of looks like what happens when you give someone a milling machine and minimum directions.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2003 on: April 11, 2015, 07:09:28 PM »
Rex,  We are going to run a Magneto using GMs dist adaptor kit which bolts on the front of the existing cam and the housing is much deeper and we will have to put a fluid damper, a water pump drive, and alt. drive on the front of this thing.  We are doing this so that we can later run this engine in Classic in another vech.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 09:46:13 AM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2004 on: April 12, 2015, 10:37:21 AM »
We will start   our exhaust system from the eng to the turbos form our LS as soon as I finish my taxes.  I can't get over how much smaller the LS is compared to the BBC.

I plan on using stock truck manifolds they have a nice flow pattern and start the exhaust in the right direction.  I will start by getting the new trans and mid plate mounts positioned and mounted.  Then front plates will be made using existing bracket holes in the ends of the heads.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 12:23:43 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2005 on: April 18, 2015, 07:25:11 AM »
I hope to get the mid plate fitted to the frame and the eng alignment nailed down this week end then this puppy should start coming together.  Alex my neighbor down the street should be able to help me with some of this.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2006 on: April 18, 2015, 09:15:16 PM »
Alex an I got it located and the mid plate notched to locate and align

004       The front plate is slightly back from the BBC
003       The Midplate is in front of the old BBC brackets
002       The new "drive shaft"

We will be bracket racing tomorrow! 

We will nail down the mid-plate and start on the trans mount.  I tis about 31/2 inches closer to the rear end.  We will get the rear axel on jack stand  install the 3 removable frame rails before we to the tranny and frt mounts.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 02:17:35 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2007 on: May 03, 2015, 08:56:19 PM »
Gezeez   Paper dolls and bracket racing --but we are getting there---I had forgotten just how tedious it is to align all of this stuff up on 5 points  I have finally gotten the "driveshaft" where it doesn't wobble t the naked eye now to dial it end and build the trans mount then this part is done.   Ordering the pistons this week so this little puppy is coming together.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2008 on: May 10, 2015, 12:32:54 PM »
Well well well---I think I should have put my "grumpy old guy" tin foil hat on-  I am dealing with 3

the krank guy kadress Kranks--should be called kranky kranks who is now mad as hell because the eng guy Tim, Tuff-Enuff has not gotten him the info. and me the guy who is having to come up with the  $$$$$$$$---

now I am so (Enuff- KRANKY )  I am one day away from going and picking my stuff up and starting over---Geez now I am beginning to remember why I hauled my stuff all the way to Texas to get stuff done.  When I started this I was hoping to have the eng done by mid may so I had 6 weeks to install the eng.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2009 on: June 13, 2015, 12:58:40 PM »
Well we are going back with the BBC after putting in a new rear main seal.

Francis came up yesterday and we spent some more time with canopy fitment!! and latch treatment.

Sum called from Fl.  this morning  he has a Dr. appointment Monday and will head back home Tu. morning if all goes well---he should be home in Blanding by Fri. night  he is looking forward to being home.