Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097244 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank
« Reply #1965 on: March 10, 2015, 11:09:00 PM »
Well I first drilled them in 2 bolt holes  so that I could bolt/clamp the 3 plates together---aligned them as best as I could--then milled the two locating 5/8" with an end mill---pushed in my 5/8" dowels( they were a loose slip fit) then end milled all of the 3/8" bolt holes---

In the am will bolt them all together and sand all three to where the will clear the flex plate starter ring gear----then bolt up a trans an see how it goes

Larry Pater, a LSR MC guy from the Chicago area and his buddy Doug who lives here in the valley came by for a great 2 hour "get to know you/bench racing session"  good times  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1966 on: March 11, 2015, 03:54:23 PM »
Well , we got'r done  guess what the trans locating pins are not symetrical---don't ask me how I know

I now have them bolted together and will finish shaping them so they will be interchangeable

also from my researching the LS engines apparently they duplicated the oil passage of the front to the block on the rear ----so here is my efforts

also I will need to restrict the lifter oil by bushing the lifter galley from the 9/16 to 7/16"  I will research this some more but I bet it is only on the one that doesn't feed the mains---this block does not have priority oiling for the mains---

Then to the machine shop to get the block cleaned, trued, decked piston, squirters installed so that we can order pistons and bore it.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1967 on: March 12, 2015, 09:14:14 AM »
hopefully will get the mid plate finished today so that I can use them to offset punch the missing LS trans. bolt hole.

I am sure that a lot of this stuff I am JUST being paranoid about but the "sig line" at the bottom of Fordboy's post "about the attention to the little things" just keep ringing through my head.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1968 on: March 12, 2015, 05:00:16 PM »

I am sure that a lot of this stuff I am JUST being paranoid about but the "sig line" at the bottom of Fordboy's post "about the attention to the little things" just keep ringing through my head.

Sparky,

Thanks for the reference.

I'm a bit paranoid too.

But I can tell you ONE TRUE THING about details . . . .

I'd rather be a bit paranoid, than be the teensiest bit stupid or lazy . . . .  that, bites you in the a$$, EVERY TIME.

I've only been to the salt once, but I've been to countless race tracks over the decades, and guess what:

Nobody WANTS to be the guy with the stupid problem, but those problems occur because nobody bothered to check some small, seemingly insignificant detail.
Why?    Because everybody KNEW it would be OK.     OOPS . . . . .
Run time/Race time should be just that, because so little is available.    It shouldn't be time to try and fix stupid sh**.

Bottom line is:  Somebody needs to check.   Everything.
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #1969 on: March 13, 2015, 02:23:55 AM »
... than be the teensiest bit stupid...
Hey! You're talkin' to an awful lot of us folks!
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1970 on: March 13, 2015, 02:30:05 AM »
lol   so true  :cheers:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #1971 on: March 13, 2015, 09:45:49 AM »
Stupid sounds so harsh.  For myself, I prefer woefully ignorant.   :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1972 on: March 13, 2015, 10:25:28 AM »
... than be the teensiest bit stupid...
Hey! You're talkin' to an awful lot of us folks!

OOOPS!!

Sorry Jack.    I was mainly talkin' about myself there . . . . .

F/B

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1973 on: March 13, 2015, 10:30:27 AM »
Stupid sounds so harsh.  For myself, I prefer woefully ignorant.   :mrgreen:

Mike

Stupid . . . . .   woefully ignorant . . . . .  meathead . . . . .  oafbrained . . . . . etc . . . . .

Pretty sure I don't like any of them.
F/B

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #1974 on: March 13, 2015, 05:45:48 PM »
I was under the assumption that an LS block and an older SBC/BBC had the same bolt pattern where the trans and engine mate up. Only a spacer was needed in the back of an LS crank for an older TH or PG input shaft to ride in it? Is this not the case Sparky?

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #1975 on: March 14, 2015, 09:27:13 AM »
I was under the assumption that an LS block and an older SBC/BBC had the same bolt pattern where the trans and engine mate up. Only a spacer was needed in the back of an LS crank for an older TH or PG input shaft to ride in it? Is this not the case Sparky?

There's an extra bolt hole at 12 o'clock, but other than that, it's a direct mate up. We use a McLeod bellhousing specific to our drivetrain (LS -> Jerico)
and it's worked really well the past 5 years. My brother has an LS with a TH400 behind it, he uses a spacer to mate things up.
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #1976 on: March 14, 2015, 02:33:39 PM »
There's an extra bolt hole at 12 o'clock, but other than that, it's a direct mate up. We use a McLeod bellhousing specific to our drivetrain (LS -> Jerico)
and it's worked really well the past 5 years. My brother has an LS with a TH400 behind it, he uses a spacer to mate things up.

Ah, thanks for the clarification  :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1977 on: March 15, 2015, 12:26:34 PM »
Sorta , all of the above:
---- the LS block does not have all of the holes drilled and tapped

early 6.0 cranks do not need the spacer

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1978 on: March 15, 2015, 06:14:58 PM »
back of block

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #1979 on: March 15, 2015, 06:18:31 PM »
Yep, I see the problem now. Thanks for the clarification Sparky