Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097295 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank
« Reply #1920 on: February 16, 2015, 11:00:57 PM »
AL E called today,, ragging me about my "GIRLie MTR. and its need for hair dryers!   He is coming along on his 300 inch early Windsor hemi that he is going to load up with a HEAVY LOAD of Nitro!!

John is coming over Tues to help pull the 565 from Ms Liberty!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1921 on: February 17, 2015, 03:06:31 PM »
Sparky,
A friend of mine, Rick McCabridge, runs one of the "small" 300 inch early hemis in his D/FL and has run 261 on a 263 record so they are pretty potent set ups. His makes right at 900 hp on 90%. There are some rules that should be followed when running high percentages of "pop" as it can be dangerous.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1922 on: February 17, 2015, 06:44:20 PM »
Al has been doing it for over 50 years---He went 213 at El Mirage with a 4 cyl 180 inches of early Hemi last year
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1923 on: February 17, 2015, 07:22:04 PM »
. . . and D-3 went 269 at El Mirage with a same size blown gas Honda.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jl222

« Reply #1924 on: February 17, 2015, 11:26:28 PM »
AL E called today,, ragging me about my "GIRLie MTR. and its need for hair dryers!   He is coming along on his 300 inch early Windsor hemi that he is going to load up with a HEAVY LOAD of Nitro!!

John is coming over Tues to help pull the 565 from Ms Liberty!!

Hair dryers=bloodless cyphers :-D

Quote from a famous English sports writer when tubos were first used in sports cars as it went by 30 mph faster than anyone else. ''sounding like a BLOODESS CYPHER'' :-o

Right though :roll:

JL222

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1925 on: February 18, 2015, 12:01:22 AM »
565 on the garage floor

now will mount up a LS and the Turbo 400/GV  have to make a duplicate new mid plate and noodle a bunch of new brackets & mounts---some will be mounting new stuff ---  hope to get the pan soon!!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1926 on: February 22, 2015, 10:53:35 AM »
I feel a shop cleanup coming ---still haven't found the 2 spare BLANK mtr. plates ----I know I have summers--  redneck for somewhar

Well we have commissioned a 2.98" stroke 4.8 crank should let us run up to a 4.040 bore  this guy in Tempe has stroked a lot of LS cranks this will be his first de-stroke.  We will run this with a 6.460 rod to keep the CH around 1.28-1.30  this is my first rodeo when it comes to LS as well as choosing the parts for hairdryers for one.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 11:00:58 AM by SPARKY »

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #1927 on: February 23, 2015, 10:40:51 AM »
Well we have commissioned a 2.98" stroke 4.8 crank should let us run up to a 4.040 bore 

That sounds like the ticket, Sparky. LS motors love a slight overbore; really lets them
breathe. We picked up noticeable gains after going to 4.030" with our 6.0L and were
still able to stay under the "C" limit. I think a destroked "E" or "F" sized LS sounds fun,
especially with a set of hairdryers.

BTW- Kurt Urban makes a lot of great stuff for those motors, and has an incredible
knowledge base that he's always willing to share, as well. We got this vapor vent kit
a few years ago, and use a remote fill cap to purge excess air. Good stuff.

http://kurturbanperformance.net/home/product/vapor-vent-system/
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1928 on: February 23, 2015, 02:15:13 PM »
still haven't found the two blanks  but did find the master will be making another from 1/4" plate, I am sure that as soon as I cut the plate I will find the blanks.

RHR---I do not doubt that,  In studying the flows of the various head manf.---the common thread was most flowed on a 4.030 bore at least,, hence the de-stroke job

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1929 on: February 24, 2015, 08:55:45 AM »
John is coming over today.  We should be able to get the Mid-plate off the 565 and use it as a pattern for the LS.
I also hope to sorta stick the LS in the car and start to get a feel for frt. motor plate.  By tying the LS down with the trans mount and the mid palate we should have its location nailed down.

The 565 will need to go on an eng. stand and reseal the dry sump pan.

Next project will be to make a mid plate and strip the 6.0 block, drill the missing bolt hole for the earlier transmissions.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1930 on: February 24, 2015, 07:24:12 PM »
WOW   what a  FLASHBACK!!!!!!!!!! shades of the early sixties,, heads from one,  crank from another, the block from a third   this thing is going to be so much fun, we are using parts we got from salvage yards

as opposed to my 565 which started out as a 509---everything in it was AFTERMARKET 

This little girlie motor is old school it is an Ebay--- Craigslist special
John and I took the third USED LS 6.0 motor apart, I have to make a mid-plate and drill the trans mounting bolt hole and tap it do a recommended mill pass in the rear of the block to tie the two main lifter galleys  together--then order the pistons and bore the block..

Talked to Spud at FIE in or. about the mag.  We are going to run this puppy with a mag and a blow through carb so we can learn to run motors for CLASSIC.

Offline Podunk

« Reply #1931 on: February 24, 2015, 07:54:36 PM »
PHOENIX. THE EAGLE HAS LANDED.

Offline Podunk

« Reply #1932 on: February 24, 2015, 07:56:55 PM »
More pics

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur