Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097249 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

Re: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank
« Reply #1875 on: December 17, 2014, 06:53:07 PM »
Sparky, its pretty hard to beat an LS with a hairdryer on it. The boys over at hot rod magazine took a junkyard LS, swapped the cam and hung a turbo on it. This was a few years ago, but after they got done horse whipping the hell out of it, the Dodge thing made close to 1000hp with stock guts! Now, I realize they may have exaggerated a bit for the sake of entertainment, but if they were within 15 to 20 percent of that number, that's pretty darned cool in my book.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 07:03:06 PM by lsrjunkie »
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1876 on: December 17, 2014, 10:22:35 PM »
We will Neil---my wife has a friend down there she went to HS with in Pa -- she wants to visit Suzie.  When we come down to pick up the 4.8 -- I will try to pick up Francis and come down to see you...
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1877 on: December 18, 2014, 02:32:36 PM »
Sparky said:
" My car is set up for the fuel pump on the passenger side and the dry sump on the drivers side just opposite of most LS drives.  I hope to plump an LS for down the road this winter."

Sparky, one of the things that I have seen work very well is to have the fuel pump driven from the back of the dry sump pump. Not hard to do and you eliminate an extra belt/pulley/mounting bracket and if the drive belt to the dry sump breaks or pitches the fuel pump stops and kills the engine, hopefully before the crank starts to weld to the bearings.

Just a thought.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #1878 on: December 18, 2014, 02:48:39 PM »
....Sparky, one of the things that I have seen work very well is to have the fuel pump driven from the back of the dry sump pump. Not hard to do and you eliminate an extra belt/pulley/mounting bracket and if the drive belt to the dry sump breaks or pitches the fuel pump stops and kills the engine, hopefully before the crank starts to weld to the bearings.

Just a thought.  Rex

Interesting, thanks.  Do they normally run at the same speed?  As you can see I don't know much about dry sumps and such but have started to study more since I'd be running that configuration if I ever get a new motor for the lakester built and it done  :cry:,

Sum

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1879 on: December 18, 2014, 05:12:49 PM »
Rex,  I could do that, my pump has a drive on it-- but I do not like where it would be---under the exhaust.  Francis and I were talking about maybe mounting the dry sump pump in front of the eng. not beside.

Sum yes they are typically at 2 to 1 ratio---lots are driven off the cam.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 09:16:38 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #1880 on: December 18, 2014, 06:05:06 PM »
Or you could run a cable as Dynoroom posted on pg 12 of his build.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1881 on: December 24, 2014, 12:44:53 PM »
 Well, I got a call from the Goodyear Race tire dist.--- they are closing Phoenix location and moving everything to Las Vegas asked me to come down and pick up my tires---

:dhorse:  Still nothing from Goodyear about the "CORRECT WHEELS" to mount these Front Runners on!!!!!!!!!  I suspect we never will!!!!

The Sadddddddddd--thing  :dhorse:  they are made to mount on motorcycle wheels, and would be perfect for the faster bike guys to put on the front of their bikes---SCTA will not let them because--  :dhorse: Goodyear CALLS them CAR tires.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 08:56:13 PM by SPARKY »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1882 on: December 24, 2014, 07:17:17 PM »
Bill;

Since Goodyear is closing it's Phoenix facility, are they having any bargain sales?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1883 on: December 24, 2014, 08:57:35 PM »
Neil, I sorta asked--was told they are loading everything on the two trucks and everything goes to their Las Vegas operation.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1884 on: January 04, 2015, 12:00:36 AM »
Francis came up today-- we messed around with NACA 22115 axel fairings and what will be the new canopy profile..
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 11:19:48 AM by SPARKY »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1885 on: January 04, 2015, 11:03:22 AM »
2215?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1886 on: January 04, 2015, 11:19:17 AM »
thanks Neal  You are correct--- it should be the 4 digit 2215

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1887 on: January 04, 2015, 04:27:56 PM »
We are looking to put a 0015 on the frt axel we just need to streamline and just put a little down force on the front  about 200-250 at speed up front.

Oh I forgot  :-D I gave myself a Christmas present from Stroud--- an El Mirage sized drag chute the "boys" didn't like my 2 B'ville chutes ---this one will be a different color---NO confusion---will be on the look out for Brown Santa!!!!!!!! would not want to go out the back door.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1888 on: January 17, 2015, 11:52:17 AM »
Francis came up today and we worked on the Lakester ---lots of NOODLE time for a wing mount. He brought an 11" wing he made out of stiff posterboard. We played with how we might mount it and we played with how we might mount an upper wing if we ever get to that point.  He is really coming along with the canopy and we noodled and measured with that for quite some time.

Chutes:
I received the new Stroud Chute for El Mirage: it is one of his 11' tri-corn Drag models with 45' lines. This will be my secondary chute for El M.
My primary El M will be my 8' ribbon chute with a 15' extension on its 45' lines; I plan on both being deployed.

At B'ville I run the 8' without the extension as my secondary. My primary at B'ville is a 6' ribbon chute that has 60' lines.  I can run these move these back and forth very easily by the way, because of extension and being able to change which tube they a installed in.  The hand sequence movements in the cockpit do not change.  the pilot chute tubes are 3" irrigation pipe and the 6" irrigation pipe the chutes and lines are packed in.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 12:20:29 PM by SPARKY »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1889 on: January 17, 2015, 04:16:12 PM »
Bill;

Is your 8 foot ribbon chute from an F-5A; a drogue chute?