Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097367 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank
« Reply #1830 on: August 15, 2014, 09:33:50 PM »
Francis came up today and we started on the next MAJOR project that the Special construction committee would like to see on Ms Liberty:

a leg retention system that is part of the steering wheel mounting system.

We will start with a redo of the brake petal, so that we can get the left leg deeper in the car.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1831 on: August 18, 2014, 01:18:30 AM »
Did paper dolls most of yesterday and off and on today---pretty well have the leg restraint thing worked out---I think--We are working with Todd's canopies in Fla  to see if we can get this thing"cleaned up"some.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1832 on: August 27, 2014, 09:36:01 AM »
Francis brought his windscreen pattern, he used for his roadster, up Sat and we spent most of the day noodling out a new canopy design for Ms Liberty.  I will look more traditional in that we brought the  windscreen back much closer to the drivers head. by doing that we are able to increase the radius to 7" from the previous 6".  We also are going to have a 1" in 3" slope back to the "window" area. 

I have been working on the new leg restraint system.  When we go to the new canopy it will entail a complete redesign of the gauge panel. We have ideas but we want to make sure that the new leg restraint works and passes tech.

I really think that the SCTA should formally implement a mentor system of "coaches" for special construction, and other faster cars.  The technology is changing so fast and most of the builds take so long.  I have been fortunate ---this is my second car, first from scratch,  I sought out lots of ideas and feed back, but its not over till its over!  I can see that I will be asked to continually up grade my Ms Liberty and she is NEW!!

This is not a bad thing  what works and is acceptable at 150 is not at 250, what was ok NA at 300 is not on a Turbo Car  hoping for 350 and above.  I have worked with the powers that be and will continue to.  I really appreciate what all my coaches have helped me understand! 

I am now beginning to more fully grasp why there are so many old ??/BG records that many think are soft ---they take TIME, money and a dedicated TEAM to field faster, usually much more complicated car, truck or bike than fuel.  If one wants to be competitive,  plan on a lot of time in the shop alone also!  You guys who do it alone no matter what the speed--my hat is off to you and your dedication!!

I appreciate all those who have helped, especially my next door neighbor Andy who has been invaluable as a 2nd opinion and a helping hand.

Guys Sorry for the melancholy this morning !  here is to our wonderful sick addiction  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #1833 on: August 27, 2014, 10:24:58 AM »
Sparky, cheers!

:cheers:
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline Podunk

« Reply #1834 on: August 27, 2014, 08:27:45 PM »
 :cheers:

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #1835 on: August 28, 2014, 09:16:15 AM »
Well said Sparky!  :cheers:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1836 on: August 28, 2014, 10:29:12 AM »
had a good day in the shop yesterday, got my "leg jail" ie leg restraint system where it will latch and go up with the gas struts---amazing how much better aligned with the canopy is and how much better it goes up and down withOUT a 60# gas strut pushing on one side.

now we need to figure out and interaction between the new steering/leg restraint and lifting the canopy  I have some ideas/ Andy has some  we just need to find out what MS Liberty likes---sometimes she can be picky, picky, picky  :|

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1837 on: August 29, 2014, 12:49:17 AM »
Darn  I feel like Thomas Edison---I now several things that will not work-- but I am closer than I was this AM  ---building a gas strut canopy within the rules---is a time consuming frustrating endeavor
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 10:22:12 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1838 on: August 29, 2014, 10:26:21 PM »
Well finally---I see a light at the end of the tunnel  with this canopy---it is still ugly but I think that it's design will pass TECH---and the good news is I haven't heard a train whistle so far  :-D

If this concept is ok with the powers that be-- Francis and I can carry it over the new one
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:47:52 AM by SPARKY »

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1839 on: August 30, 2014, 09:30:14 AM »
It's a long and winding road Bill.....
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1840 on: August 30, 2014, 10:49:45 AM »
Dr. G     it is,  it is      and some times we have to remind ourselves to  savor the journey   :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1841 on: August 30, 2014, 04:26:42 PM »
Well  I whacked and rubbed on some stuff and changed out my lift struts  from 35# to 55#  it will not open it all the way but it will stay put ever how far you push it up ---Sunday afternoon I will clean up the cockpit and suit up and see if I can   "BAILOUT"---if so I will then point it and call that part go for SW at WF

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1842 on: September 12, 2014, 12:36:57 AM »
WOW  just got back from a fantastic trip--spent 2 days and 3 nights with PODUNK and his lovely wife Louise in Hebron--NW In.

We went to the IMTA show  at McCormick Place on Monday and Tues.. both days after wearing me out we went by some friends of his and their shops---again a big WOW  ---we visited with Fryvogle  and his Carbonite crew-- who had their new LSR car on display.  the kids LOVWED it!!!!!!!!!!  well I must admit I did too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got home tonight and thank goodness no flood or storm damage to the shop or the house!!

Will get really ON getting the car ready for WF-Speed Week!!!!!!!!!!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1843 on: September 13, 2014, 10:17:23 PM »
got to go to the shop off and on today---now have the vertical post for the tail feathers tacked in---determined the dimensions on them, made me a full size paper doll--- will cut and weld  tubing tomorrow  these tail feathers will provide for 7.5 more vertical sq ft of surface behind the rear axel.  We should now have a fairly good chance to go straight; with the added weight and this new addition .

Offline Tman

« Reply #1844 on: September 14, 2014, 12:53:40 PM »
We need piktures!!!!!!!!!!!!!