Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097395 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank
« Reply #1785 on: July 19, 2014, 07:53:53 PM »
Andy and I have Ms Liberty back on jack stands:

We went over her today with a fine tooth comb we have several small niggling  things that we plan to address and spent some time on the canopy latches we have them opening much smoother ---but it is sheet alum. and it will thermalize very easy so all is subject to the influence of direct sunlight.. so we shall wait and see if we really have changed anything.

Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jdincau

« Reply #1786 on: July 19, 2014, 07:59:33 PM »
Sparky,
     Do the jack stands support the car the same as when it is on its wheels? Chassis bending even though slight can make panels fit differently.
Jim
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #1787 on: July 19, 2014, 09:03:38 PM »
Sid they are the same diam.--

Bob now has me using a really small "hanky" pilot with no spring---the old one would have the chute out of the bag and open before it got to the end of the tether; this one does not.  At 227 it was just a small tug---as we work the speeds up it will be interesting to see how much that changes.
If you run them on the same length tow line they will both stay open. Unequal length & the back one will drop when the front one kills the air, not much use if the low speed isn't twice the size of the high speed. You don't gain anything by tossing out #2 except as a backup if #1 fails.
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1788 on: July 19, 2014, 10:36:42 PM »
Sid,  I agree with your assessment ---I felt very little difference in g-loads with the second chute out --from the film it was apparent that the second chute was a partial because of the tether of the firdt.  I will try it both ways a SW  thanks for the input :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:51:13 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1789 on: July 20, 2014, 12:16:45 PM »
Build Blog Blather!!!   

It is interesting the response that those of us try to be very open on their builds receive---from adoration to disdain---

I am sure most of us earn both!! Some may think that most of us approach these build diaries from ---look at this, look how smart I am, look what I built----

I think that an awful lot of us cruise these builds looking for ways, techniques, and IDEAS and INPUT, and appreciate that others are willing to share---most of us are going where we have not been before---faster and faster---

Thanks to all who I may have been able to help,  but especially to those who have been willing to share, their findings and experience with me for I hope to be one of those who is going where they have not been before---I am willing to share ---most of what I find out.

Which brings us to my latest finding:  A lot of you know that I am a fan of the GM 7.5 rear axle----when I built my latest axle I made it as wide as I could using the stock housing---I knew I was pushing its small 2 5/8" axle tubes with the way I was mounting it in a Lakester---way inboard from the way it mounts in a car.  The Inspectors at the T&T and I discussed this possibility.

Between tying it down on the trailer, trailering it for 1700 miles and running it 20 +miles  we now have tube deflection,  we have a plan to build an axle girdle to prevent & stop this deflection. Marty, Sum and I have noodled out a PLAN of attack  :-D  that should work. 

Thanks for sharing, thanks to all who post their reservations, and or experiences---

this is the kind of stuff that helps us all build, SAFER, faster cars and bikes!!

YMMV  wmts'64

Offline desotoman

« Reply #1790 on: July 20, 2014, 02:40:06 PM »
Good post Bill.  :cheers:

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1791 on: July 20, 2014, 03:45:10 PM »
Bill;

Good post! I consider my build diary as a way of passing along some of the things that I've learned along the way. Most of the stuff was learned from others, from reading & studying, and by trial and error. If someone learns something from by build diary, it has accomplished its purpose. I learn from reading other peoples' build diaries-- they are a valuable resource.

We old guys owe a debt to those we learned from to pass along that knowledge.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Tman

« Reply #1792 on: July 20, 2014, 05:50:12 PM »
I do not understand the disdain. In this age, the internet is a great place to bench race and discuss things that might take a person years ago decades to figure out with the small window we get to run each year. Thanks to all who are open and post info to share!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1793 on: July 21, 2014, 01:36:06 AM »
100%. I'm building a car based on everything learned from you guys on the forum.
You post pics of your progress and if the guys say "cool" then you know you got it right.
If not they'll tell you where you went wrong and advise on a better solution.
You can't pay money and get the help like you do on the forum.

I haven't seen any negativity here. Every member wants the next guy to succeed. That doesn't happen in any other motor sport I know of.

Thanks Sparky for the post and the advice you've given me. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline maj

« Reply #1794 on: July 21, 2014, 06:54:55 AM »
Bill;

Good post! I consider my build diary as a way of passing along some of the things that I've learned along the way. Most of the stuff was learned from others, from reading & studying, and by trial and error. If someone learns something from by build diary, it has accomplished its purpose. I learn from reading other peoples' build diaries-- they are a valuable resource.

We old guys owe a debt to those we learned from to pass along that knowledge.

Neill
The old guys i learnt from around here are pretty much all gone now and just beginning to realise if i am to be one of the old guys in years to come i have to learn a lot more as i am not even close to the range of skills they had
so i am looking and listening hard " a valuable resource" is just about an understatement  :cheers:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1795 on: July 21, 2014, 07:08:48 AM »
Build Blog Blather!!!   

Which brings us to my latest finding:  A lot of you know that I am a fan of the GM 7.5 rear axle----when I built my latest axle I made it as wide as I could using the stock housing---I knew I was pushing its small 2 5/8" axle tubes with the way I was mounting it in a Lakester---way inboard from the way it mounts in a car.  The Inspectors at the T&T and I discussed this possibility.

Between tying it down on the trailer, trailering it for 1700 miles and running it 20 +miles  we now have tube deflection,  we have a plan to build an axle girdle to prevent & stop this deflection. Marty, Sum and I have noodled out a PLAN of attack  :-D  that should work. 

Thanks for sharing, thanks to all who post their reservations, and or experiences---

this is the kind of stuff that helps us all build, SAFER, faster cars and bikes!!

YMMV  wmts'64

Bill, why don't you do what we did. Get some hollow bar, big enough ID to fit yer axles through and get it turned for an interference fit through the pumpkin into the axle tube, get a mollyfoggin piece of all thread and pull them in  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1796 on: July 21, 2014, 09:27:25 AM »
DR. G   That thought is in there--I am sure that will be part of plan B if we have to go there---what we are trying to do will also be a part A-b or B-c..

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1797 on: July 22, 2014, 10:10:02 AM »
Jim,  In reviewing the thread I notice that I didn't respond to your weight support comment---we try to only body work when the jack stands are under the axles out close to the wheels---this brings up a good point---I think this winter we will try to build some type of pad so that we can STOP lifting the car by the axles---this may have caused some of our "deflection"---

maybe now we now know why Jack C Lifts his cars with their special trailers   :cry:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1798 on: July 22, 2014, 10:24:05 AM »
Lexan Help

I have been running searches but can not seem to find it!

I need to form an 8" x 26" x .092 piece of Lexan or something into a a big U with about a 5" radius on the front that I look through. 

My Sr. mind seems to recall something about Olive oil  :?

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #1799 on: July 22, 2014, 12:03:26 PM »
ixian.ca/gallery/albums/userpics/Lexan_fabrication_guide.pdf
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz