Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1102184 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank
« Reply #1755 on: July 01, 2014, 08:57:03 AM »
All of  this angst about electrons.  We are working to keep our automotive electrons separate from our data recording electrons.  Comingling not acceptable. 

The automotive electrons have a chassis ground the data logging system will all ground back to the  separate aux.  battery.  The automotive system will have a master on/off switch (back of car) that cuts the battery ground to the chassis. 

Sumner suggested using a relay as an on/off switch for the small aux. battery that is used for the data logging.  The relay is right at the positive terminal of the aux. battery.  The relay is powered up by being connected to the automotive system (battery) by a switch when needed.  The relay connects the aux. battery to the data logging equipment.  It will kill the power from the aux. battery any time the main power is shut off at the back of the car. 

Sum didn't like my idea of having the 2 battery grounds tied together only at the battery posts.

The way we now have the car wired the one cut off at the back of the car will disconnect the entire electrical system and there will not be any co-mingling of electrons. 

They still get to do their thing just not together.   :-D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 11:03:43 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Podunk

« Reply #1756 on: July 01, 2014, 08:08:45 PM »
Checking bearing bore diameter on Sparky's wheels.

Offline Podunk

« Reply #1757 on: July 01, 2014, 08:19:19 PM »
16" to 20" mandrel mike.

Offline Podunk

« Reply #1758 on: July 01, 2014, 08:27:59 PM »
Sparky's wheels are on their way to Nate Jones to mount the 17"x4" Goodyear Front Runners.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1759 on: July 01, 2014, 08:46:13 PM »
Podunk, you do awsome work. I have several close friends in Indianapolis who do work for race cars all the time and yours is definitely right up there with the best.

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1760 on: July 01, 2014, 09:20:30 PM »
 :-D   

Wow  I bet Ms. Liberty is going to like her PRETTY new  "Shoes"
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:22:07 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1761 on: July 06, 2014, 10:59:18 PM »
Francis came up Sat. and repaired the back of the hood scoop where I had chopped some of it out to gain clearance for the TPS. Before he left we fired it off and checked for water fuel an oil leaks had some minor ones that Andy and I worked on today.

All and all we had good days yesterday and today getting things checked over.  We have a slight brake drag issue but we have swapped the drums and adjustors got one clean and I will swap shoe adjustors with another axle and I bet we get the other one free.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1762 on: July 07, 2014, 10:13:21 AM »
got an email from John last night he may be able to come over to day around noon--hopefully the mailman runs early today and we can calibrate the 2 new transducers and get our data logging system up and running.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1763 on: July 08, 2014, 12:25:18 AM »
Great day in the shop, John came over just before noon and was able to stay until 6:00 PM  then Andy came over---we have the data logging system in  and a "PLAN" for the new car and me, at the test and tune.

1st pass:  a 150 easy run down the whole track and test the brakes at the 2. really check the car over

2nd pass a hard pass to the 1.25 to simulate El M and deploy both chutes  and see how we could stop at El M  ditto checking the car est. speed  225 mph

3rd pass   all out pass to the 2.25 to compare to the old cars best 1/4 speed---  one chute out to compare to old chute out stopping  est. speed 275 mph  ditto car check

4th pass all out to the 3 exit and timing trap -  est speed  :?  to be seen---should give us a pretty good idea what to expect at SW

I am looking  SO FORWARD to seeing all the new cars make their initial passes.  I am fortunate to be shaking our new car down with several new liners that I expect to be "Freaky Fast" as JJ says

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:11:42 AM by SPARKY »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1764 on: July 09, 2014, 01:00:31 AM »
GO Sparky!!!! :cheers:

Wish you all the best and even more.

Have a safe one.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1765 on: July 09, 2014, 07:38:19 AM »
Here's hoping you meet all your goals!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1766 on: July 14, 2014, 01:18:39 PM »
Goals vs hope for:  Ms Liberty is back in her back yard.

We are just back from the test and tune---what a great  2.5 days---saw lots of old friends and a bunch of new cars and old cars with new config's that will be heard from in the next few years---wow lets just hope we will continue to have "Outdoor Access" to the BLM controlled land.

we had 6 starts and 5 finishes 15 miles under power with speeds stepping up from just under 120 to the last at 227.

Sum shot lots of video and we have the start of data logging we will get better!!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1767 on: July 15, 2014, 11:43:05 AM »
Sum should be back home and will get a chance to see the video on a larger screen--- we hope to evaluate them and see if we can really evaluate the chute deployment. We seem to have a very clean "set" with no oscillation or kiting---We just want to stop action & slow motion evaluate it. 

We may have the "minor spin" mentioned earlier by Dan!

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #1768 on: July 16, 2014, 05:58:32 AM »
...the minor spin was the NASCAR racer.....not only once....but two times.....

About the parachute....I could "frame your laundry" :roll:.....have to check and prepare the picture and you will see what the chute is doing....what I can say now....the chute is turning like a prop...but not that bad...
somewhere is the bodywork/axle not symmetrical....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1769 on: July 16, 2014, 09:33:45 AM »
PP thanks for the heads up we will get busy and install our rear facing camera..