Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097196 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Wild Weasel a TRUE belly tanker
« Reply #1425 on: October 08, 2013, 07:07:53 PM »
no  Frankie,  we just got a ratchet strap and pulled the sub frame back straight---I will reinforce and get gas struts that are not so strong.

Good omen  I actually thought about where are the transport tires :-o not there YET but much closer
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #1426 on: October 09, 2013, 09:59:17 PM »
Awesome Sparky! Looks like things are coming along nicely.  :cheers: The umpteen million little things that actually make everything work are the things nobody thinks about until it's time to do them. I can't begin to think about all the wiring and plumbing I have to do on my car!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1427 on: October 10, 2013, 06:30:26 PM »
was able to get in 4 hours today  lots of little things but the biggie---i spent 2 plus hrs on the CANOPY--  It will now latch again---should be able to get started on the windows and fitment tomorrow!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1428 on: October 11, 2013, 05:00:35 PM »
need to put windows in

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #1429 on: October 11, 2013, 06:17:51 PM »
Looking good. Gonna be ready for El Mirage?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1430 on: October 11, 2013, 10:20:39 PM »
Could be but I am shooting for Nov.

Had a good day in the shop---long very trying process of continually adjusting and grinding to make sure the new latches work when closed the side panels are in and all is popped into place all that remains is to cut the windows and drill lots of holes for the 1/8" pops that will hold them in place.

# 8  cut the "starter-El Mirage" 120 deg windows, a nice side benefit is that the person outside can look
#9  down through them and confirm the latches are open/closed

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1431 on: October 12, 2013, 06:11:16 PM »
Bill;

Pop riveting plastic windows into their frames might cause problems with cracking around the drilled holes. Plastic-- Plexiglas or Lexan-- expands much more than aluminum so it causes stress in the holes drilled in the plastic for the rivets. A better way, if you have the time to do it, is to use screws in holes in the plastic that are about 1/16" oversize to allow for the differential thermal expansion.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1432 on: October 13, 2013, 09:38:58 PM »
Neil, I know you are correct---but I am taking the easy way out for now to see if I like this "Robbie the Robot" look  :-D  If I do I would like to make a lot of refinements.

Andy helped for 5 hours today helping to "TRIM" the windows to fit and I spent 3 hours getting it in after he had to leave on vacation for 2 weeks---thanks Andy

Well we have one side in and one to go

Under the heading of "2 steps back"  I am going to have to come up with a different arrangement with the lift struts. With the old front cage hoop the sub-frame pushed up against it and kept the struts from pushing the whole canopy back 1/2" inch or so.  Now we are going to have to put in some stops or change the pivot points.

Ohh by the way Dr. G you were most entertaining on the "BB---Boom Box" this afternoon while I was "pop riveting away"

PS  I am not going to fuel Miss LIBERTY until Andy gets back in 2 weeks.  We will know lots more about this stupid BHO lake shut down by then.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:47:18 PM by SPARKY »

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1433 on: October 13, 2013, 10:44:04 PM »
 I hadn't seen the new canopy idea for some reason....wow, that evokes a whole heap of different things, 1st world war control towers on ships, the first airliners and also that Eagle on the Muppets.....

Frankie will have some more music for you soon....
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1434 on: October 13, 2013, 10:49:51 PM »
hadn't seen the eagle before---lol

When I think of "THE EAGLE"  I think of   Eddie the eagle---the ski jumper from GB
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 07:30:13 PM by SPARKY »

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1435 on: October 13, 2013, 11:55:01 PM »
.....especially this angle..

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1436 on: October 13, 2013, 11:58:12 PM »
Personally I think that angle looks absolutely sinister....

Can't wait to see it in person.  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1437 on: October 14, 2013, 12:18:53 AM »
Personally I think that angle looks absolutely sinister....

Can't wait to see it in person.  :cheers:

Yeah, it does. It couldnt be a more fitting rival for Seth's car :cheers:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #1438 on: October 14, 2013, 12:33:36 AM »
Well it's definitely different Sparky. Reminiscent of the Curtis Flying Boat of the 1920's.
What was the reason behind the design?
  Sid.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #1439 on: October 14, 2013, 01:19:01 AM »
Well it's definitely different Sparky. Reminiscent of the Curtis Flying Boat of the 1920's.
What was the reason behind the design?
  Sid.

I'll take some of the heat on this.  Ruth and I were on our way home from Fl via CA and staying at Sparky's a year ago (2012) when at the time there was some hope to get to the salt that year.  The problem was how to come up with a canopy in short order that might work, at least for a while.  I kind of designed it with the thought the front is teardrop shaped, rounded, and the idea was to send the air down the sides of the car from the front of it.  I did a rough hammer form of the top and we put it on and I said don't be affraid to use some bondo  8-).

As PP says 'it isn't how you go into the air it is .....".

The pictures make it look much higher than it is.  Here is a picture that better showes its height....

.. If I remember right it is about 5-6 inches.  Of course they have done a lot more with it since I was involved.

I think the plan is to run with it and make a decision after the car runs and also when there is more time to make something more traditional but still feel it isn't a bad design from the aero perspective.  With the front not being laid back the vision is not distorted like on some so you have a good view down track.

I feel it is hard sometimes to realize just how much time goes into these cars.  You can see a complete car with a slick body/canopy and just kind of think it happens somehow.  Summit Racing doesn't carry this stuff  :-),

Sum
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 01:37:34 AM by Sumner »