Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097687 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Wild Weasel a TRUE belly tanker
« Reply #1410 on: October 05, 2013, 12:42:21 AM »
again a strange productive day  :?   it was a bounce around the car day work on this work on that!!Andy and I should be able to get in 3 hours Saat. am---

John said he maybe able to come over Sun. for a while     

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 09:48:07 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1411 on: October 05, 2013, 05:19:55 PM »
Andy and I had a great productive time this AM  2 hours cleaning up and getting stuff out of the shop and  then we stuck the nose back on.  The fire sealant foam really stretched the skin round and tight around the tank bay---it was much harder getting the nose back on.  I hope to have another productive session late this afternoon.  Maybe John and I can get going on the canopy Sunday.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 05:24:58 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1412 on: October 06, 2013, 12:07:32 AM »
Did get back  about 3 hours of tedious wiring and routing of wires  the eng is now done dash gauges  and GV excepted.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1413 on: October 06, 2013, 04:10:35 AM »
Great progress there. You guys must be really enjoying yourselves on this. It shows.  :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1414 on: October 06, 2013, 09:55:08 AM »
Several reinforcing moments coming up soon:

Firing it and running the all the systems

Loading it on the trailer for its first inspection and race

Passing inspection

Pulling up to the start line with its first (controlled) pass and the chute coming out

Others to (HOPEFULLY) come:

first all out pass

and maybe getting to go visit the MAYOR :-D

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1415 on: October 06, 2013, 11:59:26 AM »
I must confess - I've let my reading on this one move to the back burner.

Then I called Sparky yesterday, and we chatted for a while, but he had to cut me short and get back to work on the car - Respectful of Andy's time and conscious of how those minutes can slip away.

This thing is turning into one very scary, no compromise, no bullshirt tank.

Carry on, Spark-o!  :cheers: 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1416 on: October 06, 2013, 01:19:30 PM »
MM  thanks for the kind words ---BUT I beg to differ--- its all about compromise---TB and I have chatted, emailed and talked on the phone about the compros  many times you balance the trade offs ease of building vs safety, ease of building vs aero, ---packaging packaging packaging---TB said this lakester is just an education preparing for a streamliner---I sure hope not.  LOL
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 03:56:09 PM by SPARKY »

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1417 on: October 06, 2013, 01:44:25 PM »
It's time for Three Bills Bill to do the bizzo again, go mate, were all cheering you on  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1418 on: October 06, 2013, 07:48:09 PM »
Tim Cox dropped a MSD plug wire tool off so that I can make up my 4.5" coil wire.  We partook and discussed getting our cars done for El Mo---him for Oct. and me for Nov.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1419 on: October 06, 2013, 07:56:22 PM »
It's looking good, Sparky! I can't wait to see it again! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1420 on: October 06, 2013, 08:56:37 PM »
Thanks guys

John came over today and we got the frt axle back in should be able to nail it down and a start aligning the wheels.  Then we started on the canopy---lots of clean up and fitment needed form all the "trama" its been through the HD gas struts have deformed the instrument panel . we will have to massage this thing to function :-o

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1421 on: October 07, 2013, 03:13:28 PM »
Wow  this comes under the heading of slot me now (when its built) or slot me when you are going over things for the umteeeenth time to check alignment or binding as i was checking the tranny mount---guess what its cocked so I will have to slot the cushion mount  hole or just drill the hole larger and use a heavy washer.  :-(

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1422 on: October 08, 2013, 12:44:08 AM »
Tranny mount slotted and shimmed to the point that I am as happy as I hope Miss Liberty is going to be!!!!!!!!!!!  lots of ground wires done today---usually they are what will give one problems---so lots of time GROUNDING :-D

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1423 on: October 08, 2013, 05:21:09 PM »
Made up the solder end battery cables and wired the cut off switch  if I were to connect the battery everything but the panel gauges would work.  tedium tedium but slowly getting there.

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #1424 on: October 08, 2013, 05:47:41 PM »
Keep at it, you'll get there. Are you going to make a new instrument panel out of thicker material?