Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097352 times)

Offline azgearhed

• 1979 Z-28 AA/CBGC & AA/CGC & AA/CBGALT
Re: Wild Weasel a TRUE belly tanker
« Reply #1350 on: September 21, 2013, 09:29:51 PM »
Like I said-lemme know if I can help with something -I'd like to repay the help you gave us. :cheers:
BC Racing 1979 Z-28
AA/CBGC Record 251.802 Speed Week 2012
AA/CBGALT Record 255.382 Speed Week 2013
AA/CBGC Record 226.104 El Mirage Sept 2015
AA/CBFALT Record 227.954 El Mirage June 2016
AA/CBGC Record 267.878 Speed Week 2018
AA/CBGALT Record 236.458 El Mirage Nov 2016
It's a lot of work to have fun...

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1351 on: September 22, 2013, 12:00:36 AM »
Thanks Tim,   

No debt--- no obligation-- I just hope you don't hold it against me for any part that I may have played in your addiction---  lol   8-)  I will give you a call  Mon. AM!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1352 on: September 22, 2013, 12:08:26 AM »
 a very good day

Francis drove up from Oro Grande and took the lead in his and Frankies efforts with the switch panel  and wiring the systems

Andy helped me at the rear of the car with this darn pilot chute launcher  :-P  this thing could be dangerous when you have to generate around 75-90 # of force to depress the darn spring---look out, stay away and be careful, and build in some with some safety measures. :-P
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Jon

« Reply #1353 on: September 22, 2013, 12:24:14 AM »
Those chutes do pack some pressure, i made a loading pin for mine to make it easier to pack.
A couple of people have asked about my chutes lately.
Think I'm running the same sort of pilots as you (Stroud), will chuck a couple of pics up in my thread.

jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1354 on: September 22, 2013, 12:41:19 AM »
Thanks Jon I will post some picts of the windlass we built today.

tomorrow we will put the tanks in, and put the eng and tranny back, as well as the frt of the tank.

we can then get on with the final plumbing an wiring.  the FLUIDS distilled water in the eng and cooling.

0-30 Synthetic Motor Oil  in the rear diff

synthetic Mobil 1 motor oil in motor
Synthetic trany oils in th PF and GV  use different stuff

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1355 on: September 22, 2013, 10:23:32 PM »
Francis and Frankie's handy work yesterday

Frankie wired in the GV switch today and built the bracket that secures the cooling water tank
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 10:26:19 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1356 on: September 22, 2013, 10:28:41 PM »
Marty dropped by this afternoon and repaired the the flexplate ,that I run without a torque converter, by building up the mangled teeth and then truing them with a floppy grinder disk.

Andy took the lead on getting the tanks back in, and finishing  the 7.5 " GM rear axle is now locked down, has not quite 2 qts. of Mobil 1 0w-50w and is now ready to be bled.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 01:03:01 AM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1357 on: September 22, 2013, 10:50:13 PM »
The Spanish Windlass Marty, Andy and I came up with that will let us install the Stroud Pilot chutes---  simple ---sorta MM but  we can load the chutes and they "FIRE" out the pilots  :-o

The cooling system pumps are getting locked down and  final plumbed.

I am starting to install the fuel system up front---tight and tricky to get it all in and working. 

Tim should be up tomorrow and the thrash will CONTINUE!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:48:47 AM by SPARKY »

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #1358 on: September 22, 2013, 11:17:16 PM »
You guys got quite a bit done after I left, sweet. Did you wind up having to drill holes in the body to get the tank straps fastened or did you you have enough room tilting the two outer tanks?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1359 on: September 23, 2013, 01:04:33 AM »
nope---tilt the two side tanks and jam the radiator in a box in---lol

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #1360 on: September 23, 2013, 10:14:40 AM »
Sparky
Don't know if you run any "wetter". My purple says "NOT" to run distilled water. I don't have any idea of why, but that is what the label says. Maybe some one more informed than me can explain.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #1361 on: September 23, 2013, 07:53:20 PM »
From Wikipedia....

Distilled water is preferable to tap water for use in automotive cooling systems. The minerals and ions typically found in tap water can be corrosive to internal engine components, and can cause a more rapid depletion of the anti-corrosion additives found in most antifreeze formulations.
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #1362 on: September 23, 2013, 09:11:41 PM »
Looking good guys!  :cheers: I'll be tracking you guys down next week to check this beast out in person! Keep up the thrash!!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1363 on: September 24, 2013, 12:47:40 AM »
do not run any wetter---I run distilled so that I do not have to worry about mineral build up which is almost like ceramic as for as stopping heat transfer.

01 Tim Cox came up this AM and we got to work he modified the starter so that we can get it lump in the car  :-o

02 the chutes are almost done

03  the drive train and required safety items are almost all finished
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:51:17 AM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1364 on: September 24, 2013, 12:53:00 AM »
well the eng and tank bay is starting to get crowded
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:54:37 AM by SPARKY »