Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097306 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Wild Weasel a TRUE belly tanker
« Reply #1260 on: August 24, 2013, 11:35:19 PM »
...  Still lots to do but we are getting a glitter at the end of the tunnel....

Stick with it and just keep knocking things off the list.  The tunnel does have an end, or kind of one since we are never totally happy with our cars  :cry:,

Sum

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1261 on: August 25, 2013, 07:26:53 AM »
Go Sparky, go! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1262 on: August 26, 2013, 06:12:26 AM »
Rework---redid the brake and throttle pedals yesterday,
we are challenged with where our feet can go we have two pedals and the harness strap that is between our feet  will be driving with funny car boots not shoes, 

think that I have the chute cables and drivers fire bottle nailed

Andy was able to help noodle the systems and order of attack we are at the wiring and plumbing stage now
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1263 on: August 27, 2013, 08:23:35 AM »
from movie "Music Man"

" We have trouble, trouble, right here in Dessert City! And it is spelled CANOPY,

The way I built this thing, trying to take advantage of it original shape is proving to be PROBLEMATIC !!!!!!!!!

The way I designed and built the instrument panel; I do not have NOW have as much room  to fold up to get out:

First step is easy--John and I cut out the front roll bar hoop yesterday.  The  several of "Tech Inspectors" didn't like its double bend any way.  One less area of concern. now to get the replacement finished coped and tacked to see if that opens it up ENOUGH to not require a complete redoing of the instrument panel area.

Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1264 on: August 27, 2013, 08:45:54 AM »
Sparky, about your problem with foot location:  don't forget that Tom Burkland drives the family 'liner with both feet on the left side, right foot directly above the left.  Sounds clumsy to me, but he's gone pretty fast with that arrangement. :roll:  Maybe something like that'd work?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1265 on: August 27, 2013, 12:10:49 PM »
from movie "Music Man"

" We have trouble, trouble, right here in Dessert City! And it is spelled CANOPY,
The way I built this thing, trying to take advantage of it original shape is proving to be PROBLEMATIC !!!!!!!!!

The way I designed and built the instrument panel; I do not have NOW have as much room  to fold up to get out:

First step is easy--John and I cut out the front roll bar hoop yesterday.  The  several of "Tech Inspectors" didn't like its double bend any way.  One less area of concern. now to get the replacement finished coped and tacked to see if that opens it up ENOUGH to not require a complete redoing of the instrument panel area.

...with a capital "T" and that rhymes with "C" and that stands for Canopy!

I hope you can modify things enough that you don't have to backtrack too far.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1266 on: August 27, 2013, 02:28:30 PM »
LOL--- too good Neil---- :cheers: :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 11:22:04 AM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1267 on: August 30, 2013, 10:34:15 AM »
Well  a new hoop is almost finished, relocated the chute and fire bottle cables trimmed the canopy inner frame, installed new gas struts, changed their mounting points to change the angle of lift---

maybe I will get brave enough to try getting in and out today--- if I can I will install the belts and try a bail out.

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #1268 on: August 30, 2013, 10:58:34 AM »
GO Sparky GO!!  :-D
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #1269 on: August 30, 2013, 12:27:54 PM »
Cant wait to see the progress made next week. Seems like its been forever since ive been over there getting my hands dirty

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #1270 on: August 30, 2013, 12:51:50 PM »
maybe I will get brave enough to try getting in and out today--- if I can I will install the belts and try a bail out...

If you are alone don't forget to have the cell phone within reach so you can call for help if you get stuck  8-) 8-) :evil: :-D,

Sum
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:23:50 PM by Sumner »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1271 on: August 30, 2013, 01:29:38 PM »
Sum,  :roll:  I can pull my helmet when I am stuck.  :-o

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1272 on: August 30, 2013, 03:17:05 PM »
I'm always in awe of cars that get it right first time, because it sure is harder chopping stuff out than welding it in.......our particular 10lbs of sh&%+$ has had a few changes to it's storage system but however you do it you've still only got a 5lb bag......couple of changes again this year...the wheel is either too high,or too low...nevermind you probably can't read this anyway Bill,stuck in the car ,cell phone out reach. :roll:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1273 on: August 30, 2013, 06:36:21 PM »
 :-D  hate to disappoint you guys---but by throwing my left leg over the side and sticking my right knee is the lower left side of the canopy I can now get out ---with the surgery on the gas and brake petal make moving my feet and legs around much easier  :-)  John came over this afternoon we worked out the secondary chute deployment system, and are starting on the electrical system and where to put the switches---
Ign.
starter button
#1 water pump eng cooli
#2  water pump intercooler (will only use with artificial density altitude}

forgot this one:

#3 water pump  transfer water from the Rad. in a Box back to resivor
ECU
ECU data logging start
Quick data
Quick data logging start

On the steering wheel there will be the GV od switch

we think we FOUND a place  will go back out and mock up 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 02:12:21 PM by SPARKY »

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #1274 on: August 30, 2013, 06:41:28 PM »
Bill, when do you plan to run? Wayno