Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097396 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Wild Weasel a TRUE belly tanker
« Reply #1215 on: July 20, 2013, 10:03:30 PM »
Still no fire bottle  :-o   

Finally have the heads where the 7/16" push rods will clear and the combustion chambers are deburred and all sharp edges have been sanded off. 

I still can not believe how much we had to take of of several.

The heads should go on Sunday night.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #1216 on: July 20, 2013, 11:16:03 PM »
Bill, just keep rippin' away at it. I had the same problem last year with bottles. I ended up getting them at Speedweek. Not what I was hoping for but we made it work.  :wink: Wayno

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1217 on: July 21, 2013, 01:44:37 AM »
While I was in the shower my wife said my phone rang----It was Marty--he had found a 24v solenoid and wanted to know if I was up to go to the shop he thought he had a fix figured out for the spool gun---just came in the house---he got it ----YEAH----now we can get going on tacking & spot welding the body panels.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1218 on: July 22, 2013, 12:07:49 AM »
Snake Bit

Today was shaping up to be a great day---Marty got the Spool Gun going last night, and Andy and I were going to get both heads on to night.  I was busy most of the day with little stuff and I thought that I was done with the die grinder---Andy didn't like the amount of clearance  on 2 of the intake push rods---so we rotated it through several times so that I could get a good idea where to grind---

Boom---through the port wall in to the lifter galley on number 4---I was starting to suspect that we were dealing with a "weird" casting to from how much material I was having to remove.  I will take the "odd" head off and see how "EVEN" works as an odd---it may allow me to more weld thickness to solve the problem!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 09:32:07 AM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1219 on: July 25, 2013, 09:39:55 AM »
Marty came by last night---weld --grind--weld--grind

The bottom line--we have a push rod that touches the guide and the #4 intake port has a slight case of the "mumps"  just in front of where the rocker stud comes into the port.  It holds alky and doesen't "stay wet'---which indicates it has no pits that come to the surface.

So today we will get back to working on the LUMP!

I have the new actuator and mountinmg brackets for the new fire bottle--- so I am working on the new mount and should finish that today.  Still no bottle though.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1220 on: July 26, 2013, 11:26:38 PM »
Well there is going to be a LARGE learning ramp on the spool gun----I have figured out the settings to weld the skin---14v 3.5 on wire feed---

next up work out 1/8" and skin and 1/8" to 1/8" 

The head has be repaired by Mary and I and Andy and I installed it last night.

Brown Santa brought the fire bottle---the box was in bad shape but the bottle seems to be ok---yeah!!!!!!

Andy and I had a milestone----the sub-frame and the outer skin went up and down on the hinges today (after lousy tacks with the spool gun)---now that we know it swings correctly---we made a latch for one side today---duplicating it tomorrow for the other side should be much easier--YEAH  by the end of the weekend we should have the canopy mostly done and then we can remove the body and start the final make ready on a lot off this stuff!!---

Sorry guys the camera is on a walkabout!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1221 on: July 27, 2013, 12:44:28 AM »
I'd be TIG welding the body Sparky and use lots of tacks. The spool gun will probably prove to be a real challenge. A good example for the use of each process would be the fabrication of a basic seat. I'd TIG tack the assembly and then TIG the outside seams I'd then weld the inside of the seams with the spool gun. For your body work I'd use either TIG or oxy/acetylene. Either way, remember, there's no such thing as too many tacks. That's especially true for either sheet aluminum or stainless.

Good luck!

Pete

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1222 on: July 27, 2013, 07:03:52 AM »
Go, Sparky, go!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1223 on: July 28, 2013, 09:38:14 AM »
Canopy latch on the other side took two tries just like the other side  :-( ---I guess my brain and fab skills don't mirror image very well  :cry:

But progress was made---While I was doing canopy latches and spool gun ( 1/8 to 1/8  17V and 4.7 wire speed) Andy made a bracket for the MSD mount.  We now have spring loaded positive latches on both sides mounted to the sub frame.--- lift struts, skin, and windows to go

Sunday Andy and I are going to take the car section by section and get it on paper; then system by system on paper and make a car book. 

After we get this done and the car gets finished from the back end to the back of the eng. bay .  Then pull the motor and start moving
"stuff"  from the 565 NA motor to the 509.

Still looking for the camera---the house warden was through here---lol

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1224 on: July 28, 2013, 11:59:41 AM »
latches:
# 1 in it's retain open position
# 2 in it's spring loaded latched position

The latches need to be trimmed and cleaned up.  They should hold the canopy down and the sub-frame locates, and will keep it from getting sucked out at speed.

Will start the skinning today if the lists do not take too long.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 12:04:19 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1225 on: July 31, 2013, 09:27:16 AM »
Andy, Frankie and myself had a busy evening.

01 the inner ss heat shield
02 the complete heat shield (INSTALLED)for the ice water tank

03 tapped the intake manifold bottom for the vacuum line to monitor the crankcase vacuum.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 09:43:22 AM by SPARKY »

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1226 on: July 31, 2013, 10:00:49 AM »
Looking good! :cheers:

See you in a week!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #1227 on: July 31, 2013, 10:01:03 AM »
Sparky how many manifold pressure/vacuum sources do you have?  Hooley tapped in 3 and we really could use more.  The BOV's are suppose to each have there own source and not share a source.  We have 3 BOV'x.  We will have two on their own sources and one will maybe have to share.  We need a source for the data logging and the water injection (they should be able to share as they are just need a reference signal whereas the BOV's need a stronger working source.  We would also need one for the  manual boost gauge but won't use it now with the e-Boost2 controller from TURBOSMART since it show boost but the driver won't even see it as it will be at the side door where we can work the menu controls on it easier.

I'd put in 5 sources minimum.  You can always plug those that aren't needed,

Sum

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1228 on: July 31, 2013, 10:34:12 AM »
Sum, This is for Crankcase vacuum ---I noticed that several of the turbo sites sell small external manifolds for multiple devices that need Manifold readings---I have gotten there yet---will be soon I am sure!!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #1229 on: July 31, 2013, 11:26:40 AM »
Sum, This is for Crankcase vacuum ---...

I saw that, but it reminded me about the manifold pressure sources.  I could see the manifold working but make sure it isn't supplied by one small source line,

Sum