Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1102200 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Wild Weasel a TRUE belly tanker
« Reply #1200 on: July 15, 2013, 12:08:47 AM »
I have yellow and white yarn standing by  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1201 on: July 16, 2013, 12:33:44 AM »
Got in a few good hours in the shop today---Marty dropped by for a few minutes of welding Alum.---it helps so much to have him drop by for a few minutes---this is what I have been trying to set up for a long time--the cooler tank has now been completed and will be leak tested tomorrow---I will vacumn test the intercooler soon!!!!!!  Andy may have few hours Wed. Pm---we plan to get serious about the Mootor :-o
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1202 on: July 17, 2013, 12:52:49 AM »
a day of re-purposing--- dish washer sides to heat shields--Frankie came over tonight and we plasma cut ---PARTS--- :-P

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1203 on: July 17, 2013, 11:29:21 AM »
progress:
the crazy looking thing sticking out over the front axle is where the drivers fire bottle will go and the master cyl. will be mount up front also.

on the jack stands it is about 4.75" higher than it will be on the Goodyear 21" and the MT 26" on the rear.

The blue panel is some left over Ratical skin---Today I hope to make it with some clean alum.---I am just going to pop rivet this generation of the canopy---for lack of time-- will make version II this winter with all new stuff with a lower smaller window.  I am some what limited with what I can do as my brake only has a 24-25" throat.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 11:44:16 AM by SPARKY »

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #1204 on: July 17, 2013, 01:11:54 PM »
Yep we plasma cut parts. One of numerous heatshields for the car. Thanks Sparky for the opportunity to help on the car. Definitely a joy for me.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1205 on: July 17, 2013, 02:10:43 PM »
Sparky, that canopy looks big in the pics. I'm glad you took a pic next to it, because that really gives it perspective!

Looking good! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #1206 on: July 17, 2013, 02:26:50 PM »
Buddy, when your in the car with the canopy down its not that big. Definitely not one for the claustrophobic  :-)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1207 on: July 17, 2013, 11:33:37 PM »
Buddy, the nose is 18" diam. at the frt. axle  and 30" behind me---when we get all this stuff in it --it will be FULL---as Frankie says it will not be for the claustrophobic !!!!!!!!!!!  that thing is 5.5 inches tall---we may lower it 2" this winter.  we just want to get it on the salt and get it long course qualified at least this year!!!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 02:58:24 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1208 on: July 18, 2013, 08:30:06 AM »
Ron G---thanks for the heads up on the push rods--- 2 of them were so bad they would not go in the rocker cups correctly---EVERY cyl. had an area that I was not comfortable with---so "off with his heads" and get out the die grinder.

I had a first  I had purchased 3 long "head porting"  I had used the cyl. and the tapered ones--I had never used the Bull Nose rounded ball-  I fear this thing  properly.  I never turn it on with out knowing I have a good grip on it; it set up a hormonic whipping  standing wave action so violent  it almost came out of my upper hand by the switch, I was able to hold on but my finger was no longer on the switch.  Needles to say I changed to the tapered on that I have hours with on the exhaust manifolds.  , Andy , John and his friend John Powers all witnessed the almost accident.

Scared me good  there is a reason I always unplug the power tools to work on them.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #1209 on: July 18, 2013, 11:16:26 AM »
Sparky, that canopy looks big in the pics. I'm glad you took a pic next to it, because that really gives it perspective!

So this raises the question is the canopy too small or the Texan too big or are they both about right  :-P,

Sum

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1210 on: July 18, 2013, 11:31:59 AM »

So this raises the question is the canopy too small or the Texan too big or are they both about right  :-P,

Sum

:cheers: :-D :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #1211 on: July 18, 2013, 11:41:56 AM »
Sum, if the Texan does prove to be too big, he does have smaller Arizonans as options  :wink:

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #1212 on: July 18, 2013, 12:08:07 PM »
Sparky
I gave mine what I thought was enough clearance before putting the heads on. Coated the push rods with magic marker to be able to check. Still have a little interference so "off with their heads" to give it some more. Hate that with Cometic's at $105 each but how fast do I want to go? Red hat fast.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1213 on: July 18, 2013, 03:01:29 PM »
Texaz is about 1 dozen 30 packs too big in the belly  :-o

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1214 on: July 19, 2013, 10:25:58 AM »
Ron G.  I am living what you just addressed--I can not believe how much I am having to remove on the intake  to get it to where it just touches guide on numbers #1 and 5 on the odd side---have not started on the even side---I am sure that I am just being careful.  I will get this done today.  I am beat from taking those heads on and off so much, and taking the valves out to get the chips from the heads bolts.

STILL no fire bottle!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:29:50 AM by SPARKY »