Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097759 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Wild Weasel a TRUE belly tanker
« Reply #1140 on: June 13, 2013, 10:11:02 PM »
geez  I think I am going backward---I cut out several things yesterday and today  but I tacked in several---so that I can get the water manifolds in the car  I am going to take water up and back i.25 round tubing  I am running out of---space let alone room :cry:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 12:23:12 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1141 on: June 14, 2013, 12:22:36 PM »
Sometimes you just need to get mad---usually at ones self ---I have owned a tig for 2 years now--I had tried it with out much success --I just kept plugging along with my mig..Peter Jack suggested that I try lighting off the torch as low as I could for a few seconds---turns out that this solves my problem by giving my eyes time to adjust ---then I can see the puddle as it forms and it is not getting away from me near as often as before---I doubt I will ever be a "stacker" all the time but my "stuff" will get there.

He suggested the low & slow light off for controlling another problem---go figure!!  Thanks again PJ
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1142 on: June 16, 2013, 07:50:07 PM »
Marty came by for about 4 hours today---we now have the intercooler  ready for the heavy welder at his workplace---huge milestone---now the real plumbing will begin!! :-P

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1143 on: June 16, 2013, 09:32:04 PM »
Glad to hear that you're in the welding game now Sparky. The trick is to gain the confidence to get started, get a little help along the way and self criticize every weld you make. As long as your own criticism is constructive and you work to make each weld better than the last, time and practice will make you a very competent weldor.

Congratulations on taking the first steps.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

P.S. Don't let everyone know, but it's probably easier to weld aluminum than it is to weld steel although it's probably a little more difficult to get serious penetration.  :-D :-D :-D

PJ

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1144 on: June 16, 2013, 11:21:46 PM »
 :-o

now for the funny of the day---as I was cutting out one more thing a fire bottle---I will move it to in front of the frt axle---Marty said since we have a spare body section---are you sure we don't just need to cut this thing and put in 4 more feet---Tom B says I am in liner training, but I need to shorten it by 3' first---lol

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1145 on: June 19, 2013, 01:45:08 AM »
my respect for all who came before me with turbo cars is growing by leaps and bounds ---daily---I think I now know where most everything will go now--

Frankie and I cleaned up the shop and spent time noodling the air box and of all things---the coil--  who in the world would thing you would spend so much time trying to find a place to mount a coil :-o

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #1146 on: June 19, 2013, 11:11:09 AM »
Weldingtipsandtricks.com is a great place to learn. Many YouTube videos.
It really helped me as though I used to weld for a living, it has been over 20 years and had forgotten most everything.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #1147 on: June 19, 2013, 11:20:05 AM »
Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/cwB4PESPAlI

This is one of the best advise I have found. This guy is a great teacher.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #1148 on: June 19, 2013, 04:14:41 PM »
I got to sit in the WW with a helmet on for quite some time while Sparky and I thought about control placements. I almost made race car noises while he was out of the room for a few minutes,  almost lol. I could get used to being in there.  :-D

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1149 on: June 19, 2013, 06:18:56 PM »
I sat in it at El Mirage.  It was comfortable -- as long as it wasn't moving.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1150 on: June 19, 2013, 09:35:43 PM »
I got to sit in the WW with a helmet on for quite some time while Sparky and I thought about control placements. I almost made race car noises while he was out of the room for a few minutes,  almost lol. I could get used to being in there.  :-D

OK.

I'm callin you a liar.

If you didn't make them out loud I bet you were making them under your breath.If you didn't do that there's something wrong with you........ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #1151 on: June 19, 2013, 10:09:59 PM »
You would be correct Dr G I did them in my head while trying to imagine being strapped in, looking down the salt  :-D

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1152 on: June 20, 2013, 12:09:19 AM »
I call it dirt dancing---I used to fly gliders from a small airport that had a drop zone.  The jumpers would practice their "relative" moves on the ground before they took off.  I spend several hours simulating runs before I get on the track---yes "mental motor" is how you know you made a successful shift :-D lol

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #1153 on: June 20, 2013, 05:40:08 AM »
You would be correct Dr G I did them in my head while trying to imagine being strapped in, looking down the salt  :-D

latest when it became reality....you be strapped in....looking down the salt.....hear the real noise of the engine.....

.............you start to think.........WHAT THE HECK I'M DOING HERE............... :-D :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 05:57:59 AM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline GH

« Reply #1154 on: June 20, 2013, 08:17:29 AM »
Sparky, I am reading a book by Dan Hampton about the Wild Weasels in the USAF, very interesting.