Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097332 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Wild Weasel a TRUE belly tanker
« Reply #1110 on: May 26, 2013, 09:29:57 AM »
Jack, I am sure there are---on one of the Boards that Tim found some one mentioned the wrench clearance issues---I think that I will use my old Craftsman torque wrench with a ---I think they are called crows feet ---open end wrench with a socket drive and work out the math to compensate for the added length of the lever---Brodix wants a hard washer and 55'#
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1111 on: May 26, 2013, 09:46:46 AM »
 :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #1112 on: May 26, 2013, 01:42:09 PM »
The hemis I have been around in the alcohol cars have a similar issue with some of the studs and that's exactly what the do is use a crows foot on their torque wrenchs.

Offline Jon

« Reply #1113 on: May 26, 2013, 04:26:20 PM »
It may be worthwhile putting a S bend in an extension and even tack it to to your crows foot or weld it to a ringspanner  with the tension wrench axis on the bolt axis.

No loosing the crows foot in the valley, getting the maths wrong, crowsfoot opening up or binding on the block etc.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #1114 on: May 27, 2013, 12:57:44 AM »
Good thinking, Jon.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Freud

« Reply #1115 on: May 27, 2013, 01:29:57 AM »
I think this makes 74,000 views to your site.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1116 on: May 28, 2013, 10:56:28 AM »
Paper Dolls---we are back to paper dolls, on the eng side of the intercooler--Marty did not like the old design from a construction stand point. I came up with a new design and I made it out of wood and a piece of 5" irrigation pipe this morning--I will show it to him tonight--and WE can get going on this thing.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:14:14 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1117 on: June 04, 2013, 11:22:27 PM »
I have been --GTT --gone to Texas for a WEEK-- got my grand daughter married off ---we are back in Phoenix will be back on the car HARD ---talked to Summ --he and Ruth should be leaving for Tulsa Thursday---he is ordering parts just like I am having to order lots also

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1118 on: June 05, 2013, 08:41:39 AM »
holes for 2 Godspeed 50 mm bovs--these two near the turbo inlets and another closer to the hat inlet, after the intercooler.

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #1119 on: June 05, 2013, 09:06:09 PM »
I wont steal all of Sparkys thunder but we got some stuff accomplished today with templates and I managed not to cut off any of my fingers despite not using a saber or jigsaw in over 10 years lol

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1120 on: June 06, 2013, 12:54:46 AM »
What a wild day---I had it all worked out in my noodle---then Marty calls at 6:10 am and says today would be a good day to get going on the intercooler--he wants patterns--so he comes by and drops off a 24" old style paper cutter

so I get after it and cut a bunch of cardboard patterns and then transfer them to 3/8" plywood.  Frankie shows up and he gets to cutting them out while I make some new STUFF. 
Dave shows up at 11:00 and we are all busy for about an hour---then we have patterns for Marty
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 01:10:15 AM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1121 on: June 06, 2013, 12:57:17 AM »
 :-o
Marty shows up with the stuff cut out around 6:00 and we have 2 great hours fitting and tacking.

I have my day full tomorrow --with phone parts chasing-- making and fitting the rest of the parts that are missing and getting the
3rd BOV fitted under the tube going to the carb hat. 

Thanks for a great day guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:19:42 AM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1122 on: June 06, 2013, 11:21:04 AM »
We will be putting them to a pressure test

Offline Tman

« Reply #1123 on: June 06, 2013, 12:25:21 PM »
3rd BOV for extra insurance? And am I seeing an ice chute?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1124 on: June 06, 2013, 12:41:00 PM »
Tm  what you see is the 5" inlet going to the carb hat

This is one Rube Goldberg looking intercooler the 3 BOV will be mounted below that 5" piece of irrigation pipe that is the intercooler outlet pipe.  I just hope it works 1/2 as good as it is hookey looking.

I have tried to keep the surface areas of the inlets and outlets balanced.  The  area of the 2 turbo outlets is 19.25 sq. in.; the 5" pipe is 19.6. The inlet out of the intercooler into the pipe is 30+ sq. in.  I HOPE that compensates SOME for a really ugly transision.