Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1102502 times)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: Wild Weasel a TRUE belly tanker
« Reply #1065 on: May 06, 2013, 12:01:27 AM »
Spent the day over at Sparkys working with he and John. After today I have a much better understanding of why at times it takes months and even years building a LSR from scratch. After much time and effort trying to connect the exhaust logs to the turbo and having a piece of tubing bent ( and pretty much ruined ) Sparky decided to go a different route on the tubing and was headed to the parts store to buy more tubing. Ill head back over there next week to give him a hand where needed. Thanks Sparky and John for answering the questions I had in regards to what Im thinking of doing.

even those who are very close to the construction of one sometimes struggle to understand how it takes so long and how you can mangle so much stuff.......it takes a whole lot of staring and a whole lot of swarf.....then the crew come around , see the solution...and well, it's obvious that that is how it should have been all along.........but no-one has done that job before , so no-one would have done it that way until they'd unsuccessfully tried the OTHER obvious ways of doing it.

man, I've been there :cheers:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1066 on: May 06, 2013, 12:36:04 AM »
I've found that when I'm going to weld a really complex weldment I'm best off to start with the areas that appear easier. By the time I get to the really complex areas I find that usually the complexity has dropped considerably and I'm able to handle the job just fine. Using a little psychology on oneself often solves the problem.

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1067 on: May 06, 2013, 10:10:06 AM »
 no-one would have done it that way until they'd unsuccessfully tried the OTHER obvious ways of doing it.

DR G---reminds me of Thomas Edison search for a light bulb filament---someone asked him about his many failures--he said he was MUCH closer to finding what worked because he had eliminated so many that would not work--- :cheers:

Using a little psychology on oneself often solves the problem.

Pete--- oh so very true---90 percent of the time the biggest problem lies between ONES own ears
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 10:14:16 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1068 on: May 08, 2013, 06:13:14 AM »
Frankie was over last night for 2 + hours we got the left side of the exhaust tacked.  Wed. I will pull it and weld the heavy stuff and install the right side for final fitment of the parts back around the turbo.  THEN  brackets to hold the turbo in place and start working on the waste gates.

I also have been working on mounting the intercooler and designing the end box for the air from the intercooler to the 4" 90 ell that will go to the 5" air inlet of the carb. hat.  I cut the upper tube and installed a cross piece in the hoop getting ready to "notch" it for the tube running to the carb hat.

Sorry  no picts. still looking for the battery charger
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1069 on: May 08, 2013, 06:49:06 AM »
Sorry  no picts. still looking for the battery charger.

E-Bay, for sure someone else has lost the camera! This is the sure way to find the charger you're missing.  :-D :-D :evil:

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1070 on: May 09, 2013, 12:59:38 AM »
LOL  :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1071 on: May 09, 2013, 08:33:13 PM »
 :-D

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #1072 on: May 09, 2013, 09:10:58 PM »
Plumbing, I hate plumbing :-P
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Jon

« Reply #1073 on: May 09, 2013, 09:20:05 PM »
Looking good Sparky

Going to be a little tight back there :)

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1074 on: May 09, 2013, 10:29:44 PM »
We all have a much better idea of what you mean by crowded. Keep up the good work Sparky and crew!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #1075 on: May 09, 2013, 10:50:47 PM »
We all have a much better idea of what you mean by crowded. Keep up the good work Sparky and crew!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

He wasn't kidding about being crowded  :-) Thanks PJ!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1076 on: May 09, 2013, 11:08:07 PM »
I am getting pretty close to having the exhaust to the turbos and the turbos mounted ----then we can start the stuff that is going to full it up heat shields and ducting,  oil and water lines---it will be FULL-- :-o  Dave and I worked on finishing the log manifolds to day

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #1077 on: May 13, 2013, 01:31:29 PM »
Get any work done on the Weasel over the weekend? Im available Thursday if your gonna be out in the shop in the evening.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1078 on: May 13, 2013, 04:34:39 PM »
got some done--redoing some I should be in the shop Th.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1079 on: May 14, 2013, 10:47:04 AM »
had a pretty good day--I miged some non structural exhaust stuff yesterday and will do some more today---I tried to run some .023 wire in my miller 250---well it seems like I will have to buy some .023 wheels for it--my old Hobart Iron Man 210 you just flipped the wheel.  so my butt welds on thin wall 5"  turbo exthaust have way to much deposited metal when using  .o35