Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1101782 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Wild Weasel a TRUE belly tanker
« Reply #1050 on: April 15, 2013, 10:02:18 AM »
Oil cooler for the rear in one of the ice water tanks? I have a few tranny coolers I have pulled out of scrapped radiators that would work.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1051 on: April 15, 2013, 10:09:49 AM »
Guys,  I know I have a REAL problem, that will remain for a while after a run,

I have a bunch of stainless steel that I plan on making heat shields from.  I am leaving the outer 1/2 of my log manifolds exposed to the slip stream, I plan on building a false floor of stainless to cover the exhaust running back to the turbos, the bottom of the car will have reverse scoops to create a low pressure area beneath the turbos to suck the heat down and out during the run. I am planning on the air intakes to  supply excess air to the front of the turbos there will be sort of a Turbo box shield of stainless.  I am planing on a small air scoop to push air through  from  the back of the manifolds to the bottom of the turbos.  I am in the process of evaluating just how many of these WONDERFUL IDEAS I can use  there will be several---there well may be a "chimney" above the rear of the turbos that air flows down underway and can draw air in from the bottom and out the top at rest.  

I think that oil will be a big part of the solution as well as water.

Thanks to all who take the time to post.  I reread several of these sections weekly as I bingengineer this thing.  I am reminded every time I go to the shop what I have undertaken.  I look at all the parts for the single turbo sitting over there and I sometimes " muse  now just why are 2 better than 1 ---lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1052 on: April 15, 2013, 10:15:48 AM »
T man,  I have a heat exchanger in my dry sump tank already,  I was to help warm the eng oil-- but it would be easy enough to plumb it differently

Again guys,  this is SO helpful to have so many thinking about this---there already 4 or 5 changes or additions that will make into the final product, and even more before we get this thing sorted out.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #1053 on: April 16, 2013, 07:55:05 PM »
Again guys,  this is SO helpful to have so many thinking about this---there already 4 or 5 changes or additions that will make into the final product, and even more before we get this thing sorted out.

Hello Sparky,

I have been following your build (along with many others).  So for my first post I have a suggestion, if I might.  What about considering adding a NACA duct or two on the underside of the liner to direct cool air flow to the turbo/pumpkin area then out the back?  I realize that once all movement has ceased, the turbos will still be radiating heat but at least this should help while there is still some forward movement.

HTH

Dan
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1054 on: April 17, 2013, 06:50:24 AM »
FGI  thanks for the post from a fellow ZONIE  :-D

The car will have a slight rake ( about 2-3%)  a NACA most likely would not draw especially with the 30" tires we will be running but you have the right idea---its just that at rest convection wants to reverse what I would like to do-- top down---at speed it would be real easy to do top down with the hot air out from behind the axle, exhausts and the bottom of the car just behind the rear axle---just does not help the chimney effect after the run.

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #1055 on: April 17, 2013, 07:22:39 PM »
OK, how about wrapping the differential with http://www.thermotec.com/products/16850-kevlar-heat-barrier.html?  And for keeping that area under control (and I use that term loosely  :-D) after the run, could you install a high volume radiator fan?  Just a thought.  :?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 07:28:24 PM by Finallygotit »
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #1056 on: April 17, 2013, 11:50:03 PM »
Amazon has T6 turbo blankets for $84. That is probably where I will get mine from.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #1057 on: April 19, 2013, 08:26:19 AM »
I'm running a $90 eBay turbo blanket on a Bullseye S488,
works like a charm. It made a huge difference in temps.
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1058 on: April 25, 2013, 10:12:30 AM »
Well, well, well,--once again we are forced to face the fact that there are few free lunches in this life   :cry:
 it appears that my best way forward is to coat the snail, blanket the snail, various heat shields, and heat sinks---then try to work out scoops & vents that have some static chimney properties.

Offline JimL

« Reply #1059 on: April 25, 2013, 03:26:28 PM »
I was looking at a pic of an A-10 and thinking.....I wonder if the exhaust from the turbos would help cancel a little of the pod aero drag.  One of those turbos could fit pretty neatly into something like a R12 tank, or old propane tank.  There are even some small tube shaped air compressor tanks with rounded ends.  The pylon could carry the boosted air, and the exhaust input, inside an air foil shape.

Might be the cheapest and safest fix?  I do love a puzzle!

JimL

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #1060 on: April 25, 2013, 08:53:30 PM »
Spent the day over at Sparkys working with he and John. After today I have a much better understanding of why at times it takes months and even years building a LSR from scratch. After much time and effort trying to connect the exhaust logs to the turbo and having a piece of tubing bent ( and pretty much ruined ) Sparky decided to go a different route on the tubing and was headed to the parts store to buy more tubing. Ill head back over there next week to give him a hand where needed. Thanks Sparky and John for answering the questions I had in regards to what Im thinking of doing.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1061 on: April 27, 2013, 09:12:49 AM »
progress at a snails pace---but progress---Frankie and John came Thurs---we slowly noodled some stuff- Marty came by that night with the inter cooler with its inbox plates on 3 sides of it.  Now to nail it down--- get the hardest turbo in its final configuration with its tubing, mounting brackets and connectors finalized. Hope for a good weekend.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1062 on: May 02, 2013, 10:45:06 AM »
Re. Frankie's post -- I have changed to 2.5" all the way through using a 2.5" weld ell  for the 90 into the turbo exhaust inlet  one side is almost done and Frankie and I almost have the second one located---now to find the camera battery charger so that I can post. 

Thanks again to all who have sent private info and posted info about different products available---
I am going to try several of them for different parts and areas

Al E and his "girl"   Denton stopped by and they borrowed the Sachse Rod Shop canopy hinges to see if they would work on his new lakester   as he walked around  the Weasel he said if you do not watch this thing its going to "get complicated"

To compensate for not having "mirror image turbos I am going to offset the intercooler to the right side of the car wichh means the I will have to flip the intercooler and the water will now be on the left side of the car. 

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1063 on: May 04, 2013, 12:04:45 AM »
Well after many days of PONDERING---the car spoke to me---thanks to TB & RM and others who reminded me it is not nice to try to fool MOTHER NATURE---ie physics---create a pressure differential when under way and a static "chimney system that can draw at rest

l       l
l       \
l        \       
l         \
l          l                           /  /
l turbo  l                         /  /
lturbinel_______________/  /
l_____inlet______________/

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1064 on: May 05, 2013, 10:54:28 PM »
The 2.5" weld ells picked up a good bit of clearance--- we will now be able to do stuff much more conventional manner.  Dave and I should be able to weld some in the morning.  Marty is coming by at 6:00 am for a glance over on the intercooler and his ideas on the outlet shape---he is the one who has to weld it after all.  I am about worn out on turbos and packaging---BUT it
is amazing to me what reveals it self if you just keep studying.  I feel much better than I did last weekend---might have something to do with being in the shop as leasT some every day.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 10:05:44 AM by SPARKY »