Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097638 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Wild Weasel a TRUE belly tanker
« Reply #990 on: March 16, 2013, 01:49:43 PM »
Buddy, we are building an in series inter cooler using two cores and 2 water pumps so the air will be exposed to 18" of core and we plan to running around 35- 40 gals of ice water through the 2 core on a pass! there are some picts some where we are in the final stages of construction---we have to mount the turbos then build both ends of the inter cooler plenums. I ordered the 4" 90 for the outlet end should be here next week.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #991 on: March 19, 2013, 12:26:15 AM »
got a little more done--have one turbo nailed down and just need to massage the other ones locating bracket---then tack---will have to redo one of the waste gate stalks to get it out of the car where I want it.  Resumed work on my stepped log manifolds I am making using weld els and .120 dom.  I have to figure out a slip joint to gow with my others---picts to follow.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 12:02:19 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Tman

« Reply #992 on: March 20, 2013, 05:09:28 PM »
Sparky, lets see some header pics, I am at the same stage with my Weld Els.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #993 on: March 20, 2013, 10:06:50 PM »
3/8" header plate with 2 3/8" tubing holes

1    2" 90  &
3    2" 45s

my 90--45s to mate the 45s to the log

crude mill work to "saddle" the log

in the background one can see the Log with the holes cut in it with a plasma cutter and a rotary file

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:48:10 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #994 on: March 20, 2013, 10:08:32 PM »
This is  my attempt at a log manifold: the id of my BBC heads exhaust port is 2"

I used 3, 2" 45 deg weld ells and 1, 90 deg, the OD of the weld ells is 2.378"

#1 port will have a 90 deg ell

the 2 center ports, # 3 and # 5  log is 2 5/8' .120  DOM tubing whose id is 2 3/8" id

the  # 7end  port will step up to 2 7/8" .120 DOM which has a 2 5/8" id

I am going to leave the two bolts holes between #3 & #5 stay the same diam., I will "step" increase the bolt holes toward each end of the header plates per Corky Bells book.  I think that these Dom steps will "grow and seal" under heat; if they will not-- I can always weld the up and HOPE the stepped holes will stop the headers from try to make like snakes and crawl off

TMan hope this helps --- YMMV
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 10:14:52 AM by SPARKY »

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #995 on: March 20, 2013, 11:15:39 PM »
Great progress! Keep going!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Tman

« Reply #996 on: March 21, 2013, 09:45:06 AM »
Thanks Sparky, we are neck and neck onthe headers.

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #997 on: March 22, 2013, 12:33:21 PM »
got a little more done--have one turbo nailed down and just need to massage the other ones locating bracket---then tack---

Went over to Sparky's last night and helped with massaging and tacking the other turbos mounting bracket. Will head back over there Tuesday night to see what else I can help with. Thanks Sparky for allowing me to help on the car.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #998 on: March 28, 2013, 12:41:38 AM »
lots going on:  learned the difference between DAI- data acquisition internal and DAE data acquisition external  :-D

Sent the ECU off today to BigStuff 3 -- should be able to upgrade it to get most of what I need done
1. Add a second wb O2
2 add individual coils
3 add baro compensation
4 increase the data logging time

I will be using my EFI system as a data logger for the eng.  just will not be feeding the injectors

I will be using my Quick data for the chassis, EGTs and Turbos temps and pressures.

Met a new guy---Mark---he is a 5.9 kind of guy---PULLS SLEDS---
but he runs a data logging system :-D :-D

Frankie came over again tonight-- we worked on the log manifolds-- Frozen Boost stuff came in  Marty should be able to put some more time into the INTERCOOLER

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #999 on: March 28, 2013, 12:59:00 AM »
Was glad to help Sparky, see ya next week.  :-D

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1000 on: March 29, 2013, 07:35:44 PM »
Went to the Steel store today and picked up 4 45 deg 2.5 weld ells and 2" water pipe---should be able to finish my log manifolds this week end. 

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1001 on: March 29, 2013, 08:06:51 PM »
Buddy, we are building an in series inter cooler using two cores and 2 water pumps so the air will be exposed to 18" of core and we plan to running around 35- 40 gals of ice water through the 2 core on a pass! there are some picts some where we are in the final stages of construction---we have to mount the turbos then build both ends of the inter cooler plenums. I ordered the 4" 90 for the outlet end should be here next week.

Sparky, your build is exciting to watch!

What is the advantage of the intercoolers you are running, versus the one Tony is running on his car? I'm always curious to learn these things.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #1002 on: March 29, 2013, 11:18:36 PM »

Sent the ECU off today to BigStuff 3 -- should be able to upgrade it to get most of what I need done
1. Add a second wb O2
2 add individual coils
3 add baro compensation
4 increase the data logging time

Now you're talking! There is going to be a learning curve but you are going to like it.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1003 on: March 29, 2013, 11:40:25 PM »
Buddy What Tony is running is very much like the core out of a eng oil cooler off an earlier big Cummins 855 diesel  and others---they have a LOT going for them and are proven to be Very Effective. I would have need at least 2.

I wanted to see if my "2 pass" in series cores would work---If these el cheapo CiComs will get the 150#s of 350 deg, 15psi,  air down to around 100 deg.--- then I will know that with much better cores I could POSSIBLY cool a good bit more air and  handle 80 deg more temps

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1004 on: April 03, 2013, 05:41:04 PM »
Crissa Raymond came over this morning and we had a good 2 hours in the shop.  It never ceases to amaze me what a different pair of eyes can do.  I have hours in the placement of the hinges---to no avail---In 10 min. she tried them much lower---wallaha---I think it going to work-- we will know when we tack them in place..  Almost done with my taxes---then can get on the CAR hard..